So what do we know about Civ IV so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Oh c-mon. Civ2 is better - simply because there are no mine scns for civ1!
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

I liked Civ1 more than Civ2. But that maybe because I played Civ1 first. So Civ1 was the sole reason for me liking the Civ series. (Except for CivIII, I was not impressed by it at all).

CivII was great, no doubt, but it's not the reason I played CivII. I played CivII because of CivI. So to me, CivI has higher value, more important reason.

Same goes for Monkey Island. No matter how many Monkey Islands they make, (even if they are thousands of times better than the first) I will still prefer Monkey Island 1 over the rest.

But back on topic. Firaxis may or may not be aware of it, but in order to produce a Civilization game that can be considered great enough to stand next to CivI and CivII, they need to make the game very deep. Firaxis will know they have succeeded when by you start your very first game, you play for an hour and are loving it, but realise that you are stuffing it up a bit - not making your Civilization the way you want it to be. So you restart, you start over again and you do what you would have done differently. This is the addiction point, this is the moment you realise that this game has pulled you in, intrigued you enough to want to play further, to play it properly.

I think in order to achieve such levels with Civilization IV, Firaxis will have to remove the linear gameplay and place the No.1 Rule: Everything Effects Everything. And the No.2 rule: Don't take stuff out (unless it really is rediculous, (some of CTP's units come to mind)), add more stuff - but don't make the mistake of making the added features neccessary to play the game - that just results in too much micromanagement.
        be free

Comment

I really hope Firaxis will give us more info earlier than with Civ3... To give something away too early can be bad, but giving it away too late is much worse IMHO. Now, as it is now, I expect no details or much info, but some general input and very important; feed back from FIraxis here, to make us confident they're here, listening, would be a wise move.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

And only tell things you're 100% sure will be in the final game...
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

In detail, yes. But thoughts of general subjects along the road we've got to a slight degree so far wouldn't be bad IMHO.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                In detail, yes. But thoughts of general subjects along the road we've got to a slight degree so far wouldn't be bad IMHO.
                I agree - it would also enable us to provide feedback to Firaxis.
                Rome rules

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                  GAME SHOULD BE HARD
                  Hardcore fans, most of those who post on the boards, want the game to be more difficult, but if new players are more important to please, shouldn't the game be as easy or easier? I wouldn't mind it being easier, I always play at the easiest level anyway. I at least think the easiest level or two don't need to be much more difficult. I guess I don't care how difficult the highest levels are. Or do they expect these new players to be hardcore players of other games with skills that will carry over to this one or just about any game?

Comment

Same here. I am a mediocre player, and in Civ3, I never play higher than Prince level at highest. The most important thing, is that the game is entertaining, not so difficult that it kills the fun...

Comment

If the game is to be harder it should be because the AI is better, not because it cheats more. It's just so boring to play against superior powers only because they got dozens of units for free.
                      Ei kannattais.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent

Hardcore fans, most of those who post on the boards, want the game to be more difficult, but if new players are more important to please
                        Who says so? I want the new game to please me and my like, and only then new parts of the crowd
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

Is there any new info on the game yet?
                          Rome rules

Comment

No new info yet?
                            Rome rules

Comment

Sadly, no. Other than that one of the members of Poly has written a mail to Firaxis and proposed that they should not give anything away, and obviously succeeded...

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                                Sadly, no. Other than that one of the members of Poly has written a mail to Firaxis and proposed that they should not give anything away, and obviously succeeded...
                                I don't think they need to be told that.
                                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                                2004 Presidential Candidate
                                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                                X