No announcement yet.

Eras in Civ4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that Gunpowder should probably be necesary for the Industrial Age. As for Combustion needed for the Modern Age, I was under the impression that Combustion was required to get Electronics via Combustion-->Mass Production-->Electronics. I might be wrong though.
    Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Has it occurred to you that the civ3 tree is broken? Balance questionbs aside, there isn't really any causal relationship between the discovery of combustion and electronics.
      The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
      And quite unaccustomed to fear,
      But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
      Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

don't have a clue

Comment

I never liked the fact that many techs in civ3 don't do anything useful, like steel. They're only required for other techs.

Comment

Most of the arguments here against Eras are just arguments against the Tech Tree system. Why do I need to research Iron Working to discover Construction? The Maya and Aztecs built massive structures without Iron. Why do I need monotheism for Democracy? There's a thousand and one problems with the Tech Tree, and I feel that something like that is unavoidable in cIV.

I like the Era system. It divides the tech tree into easy, managable chunks, and allows me to think "to get tanks fast, I need to work out how to refine oil", rather than making me think "okay, to get tanks fast, I need to research Pottery".

Plus, I love having the tech tree displayed on the computer. Unfolding the tech tree during the game is not fun, and since I always lose those sheets. (except the Alpha Centauri one. I have that hung on my wall in the computer room, just because it looks cool.)
            Lone Amigo Insurance:
            "We're your only friend!"

Comment

Eras were present in civ from the start. In civ2 for instance, citizens and cities change their appearance when you research both philosophy and invention (renaissance), then again when you research industrialisation (industrial) and finally when you research automobile (modern).

I think the tech tree should be more flexible and more logical (not requiring iron working for construction for instance). And you should have about 4 terminal techs in each era and be able to advance to the next age when you research 2 of them. This would allow different paths of development including builder and warmonger beelines which characterised civ2.

Comment

The problem with Eras is that they are inherently unrealistic, and if you have an Era system like that in Civ3, then you can't split up military tech and infrastructure tech that much. If you try to do two seperate lines, then when you get to the next age you might get oddities when you can make musketmen without knowing how to work Iron, or get a Democracy without a Republic.

It needs to go back to the Civ2 style system, but show a tech tree display, and have arbitray pages, each showing an "Era." You can then scroll further to the right and see the next era and what you need for the individual Techs there. Perhaps there should be markers on the techs you need to change your city appearence...maybe 3-4 takes per "Era" and you need any two?

-Drachasor
                "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

In the good old 1st Civ, the cities (in the city view, if you conquered a city or your folks revolted or celebrated, or when you completed a new building) were gradually developing: During the progress from Antique to Medieval, most houses in the city view were simple huts, but there already was one or another medieval city house among them... ok, it's just eye candy, and not very important, but still... maybe some programmer can dig up the code for it and tweak it...

Comment

There are eras in Civ3 already: they're called ages (in the tech tree). Eras in Civ4 sound more like Conquests in that they are more localized. Perhaps the Eras will be more like a combo of Ages and Conquests.

I voted no but I'm actually indifferent to the idea. I just hope the grand epic games are not affected.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

No.

Eras turn the tech tree into a tech tickbox. Ridiculous tech disparities can be eliminated by intelligent design, rather than the artificial restriction of eras.

Comment

It looks like most people want to keep the eras anyway.

Comment

Some interesting discussion.

I'm against the idea of fixed eras. Better (IMO) to restructure the tech restrictions.
                          It shouldn't be too hard to implement an OR prerequisite (as opposed to the AND prerequesities we all know and love),
                          which could in a way make 'ages'.

With enough OR clauses (sensible OR clauses) you could rig it so that a majority of techs in one region of the tech tree are needed to get a decent amount in the next region.

There wouldn't be eras, but you wouldn't be able to get GeneEng before Electro.

Comment

Era effects:

- Prevent beelining (causes anachronisms so bad)
                            - change graphics / sound interface (can be done with techs)
                            - trigger event for free tech for scientific civ
                            - trigger event for barbarian horde (unrealistic)

The free tech for scientific civ is a bit weak anyway. I'd replace it with a research bonus similar to the agricultural trait food bonus.

The last one makes no sense from a causality pov - barbarians don't watch your scientists carefully, waiting for you to discover that last era tech before attaacking en masse. They do it as and when they feel like it. Barbarian hordes should be random, something like civ2 style.

For those who like the presentation value of the era system, have you had a look at test of time? That one dynamically made a graphical tech tree based on the rules.txt file. ok, it didnt show the entire tree in one go, but it showed enough to see the immediate relationships clearly.
                            The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
                            And quite unaccustomed to fear,
                            But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
                            Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

It is a fantasy world, after all. Why worry about so many Anachronisms?
                              They just make it a little more fun to see really awry civilisations.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                                It is a fantasy world, after all. Why worry about so many Anachronisms?
                                Fantasy world yes, but I'd like to see enough realism in all elements of the game so it would be easier to relate to and therefore more fun (i.e. its more fun to crush the country of your choice rather than a fantasy land).
                                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                                2004 Presidential Candidate
                                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                                X