Civ 4 - The List of BAD Ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 4 - The List of BAD Ideas.

Seeing as The List will quickly fill up with what we want, I thought a dedicated place for what we don't was in order.

So... what are the ideas for Civ 4 that you DON'T want to see? The things that you fear Firaxis (or other Civers) might want, that would kill the game for you?

For me...

The Future
    I'm okay with technology in Civ progressing into the immediatly forseeable future before "Future Tech" becomes a research goal. 2050 is a good time for a Civ game to end. I don't want to see a "Diamond Age" or underwater cities in any circumstances.

Civ Specific Animations
    I'm talking about leaderheads here. Lots of time and effort, lots of megabytes, and NO added playability or immersion. Why stand in the way of mod makers with such a silly thing as three expressions for leader heads. I have no problem whatsoever with a simple state portrait.

Less is more.

And because someone else will say it if I don't first....

BUGS!

i don't want them to streamline the game even more in order to make the AI competitive...
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I don't want to get rid of all tactical play by having CTP style stacked combat

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't want to have non-tactical combat by not implementing CTP style stacked combat.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I haven't played CTP, but as I understand the concept, I'm all for it. Thereby I'm aganst NOT having it.(to follow the thread topic.)
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

For those who have never played CtP, here's a screen of the stacked combat.

Note - the attacking Cannon and Artillery are in back row, and take no damage, but deal damage to pink first row. Likewise, pink Horse Archers take no damage, but deal damage to blue first row. The first rows engage each other. Once the pink first row is killed, units from second row will move in their place...

Comment

but there is no tactics there

you just set up a stack

having a stack should be important, but not everything

civ3 has already gone too far this way I beleive (with having it so that a single stack dominates

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                For those who have never played CtP, here's a screen of the stacked combat.

Note - the attacking Cannon and Artillery are in back row, and take no damage, but deal damage to pink first row. Likewise, pink Horse Archers take no damage, but deal damage to blue first row. The first rows engage each other. Once the pink first row is killed, units from second row will move in their place...
                my problem is that you don't control any of those units

all there is is a battle of armies that oyu watch (and yu can order a retreat)

civ has had the joys of different tactics to make sure that you win

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Hmm, you don't have control while the battle happens, but you don't have it in Civ 3 really, either. There are also similar tactics in CtP2, by forming stacks with different abilities and stuff.

The upside is, it will never take you 5 attackers to wipe a single defender.

Comment

your troops ahve movement, attack and defense

so there is tactics

which is different than stacks fighting

Jon Mo;ler
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      I don't want to get rid of all tactical play by having CTP style stacked combat

Jon Miller
                      CtP1/2 troops have movement, attack, defence, range, flanking and grouped into armies, so there is more tactics. Thats better than roaming around with 100 of the same attackers and a few defensive units then throwing them one after another at cities, then it becomes about numbers and not tactics, different stacks have different abilities, thats tactics, IMO of course.

Im sure combat will be changed in civ4 but they wont use the CtP system (although they should and improve it) i expect itll be somethng totally new.
                      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with underwater cities... in fact, I was just about to mention them in the wish list...

I don't want CIV IV to be a lonesome single player game- I'm tired of playing 1-v-all.
                        cIV list: cheats
                        Now watch this drive!

Comment

Maq, I'm not all so sure they will be changing the combat to something new in Civ 4. I fear that single units will remain as single as they are in Civ 3.

Comment

I agree against Civ specific animations.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how do CtP2 scenarios deal with stacking?

FE, there are some civ2 scenarios that would not benefit from stacks.

I think armies/stack will be necessary (to reduce lag time) but an option to turn them off might be warranted.
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X