[Mod] A proper score graph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Mod] A proper score graph

I really liked the score graph back in the days of Civ I. There was only one problem: at some point (probably when the score wouldn't fit in 16 bits) it capped off and refused to show more of my exponentially growing score. This really bugged me. So when Civ II came out, I thought that surely they had fixed this problem (seeing as it would have taken 10 minutes tops). Of course they didn't, nor did they fix the 30000 gold cap, by the way. Still, Civ II was a lot of fun.

Quite a while later Civ III was about to be released. This time it was remade from scratch so there was no way it was gonna have the same problem. It didn't. Instead they chose to present the score in what is without doubt the worst way known to man. I despaired.

When Civ IV came out I didn't dare hope for improvement. And sure enough, not only did they keep the hopeless presentation, but they made it look incredibly ugly too. They did however do one thing right: they made the source code available for hacking. Seeing as I had complained to all my friends that I could've implemented a vastly superior score graph in a few hours had I only had the chance there wasn't really a choice.

So here it is: my first attempt at a proper score graph.

I spent about 4 hours total on this (including the time to learn python) so there is some room for improvement. One thing in particular I'm not too happy about is the drawing of the lines. I stole that from the foreign advisor screen where the lines do look a bit funny. It would be nice if there was another way of drawing proper lines.

[EDIT]

Latest screenshot:

Downloads:
    Version 1.0 (pre v1.09)
    Version 1.1 (pre v1.09)
    Version 1.2
    Version 1.3
    Version 1.4
    Version 1.5
    Version 1.6
    Version 1.7
    Version 1.8

Change log:

v1.8

* Added instructions for installing without the research history.
    * Don't show the names of leaders you haven't met (in demographics tab).
    * Split the statistics table in two (one for units and one for buildings).

v1.7

* Research score graph (thanks to Bhruic).

* Show who is the best/worst rival in demographics tab.
    * List which city has built a particular wonder in wonders tab. (only for completed wonders, to avoid revealing too much information)
    * Fixed bugs in demographics tab where your score was displayed instead of the best/worst rival's score.

v1.6

* Displays more dates.

v1.5

* Full screen graph (moved the demographics table to a new tab).
    * Added rival best/worst to demographics table.
    * Sideways scrolling.
    * Shows what years are being displayed.
    * Improved legend layout.

v1.4

* Legend showing who is who.

v1.3

* Thicker lines.

v1.2

* Works with patch 1.09.
    * The graph is no longer displayed in the background of the other tabs.
    * Resets the number of turns to display to match the drop-down selection.

v1.1

* Fixed bug where the score dropped to zero at the last turn.
    * Fixed bug where dead civs still got score.
    Last edited by ulfn; December 18, 2005, 08:24.

I always thought the Civ3/Civ4 graph method was an interesting, but also clearly inferior way of displying the data. Glad to see someone is going to fix that

Comment

New version available.

Changes:
      • Fixed bug where civs continued getting score after dying.
      • Fixed bug where civs sometimes didn't get any score for the current turn.
      Last edited by ulfn; November 28, 2005, 06:18.

Comment

This is cool!
        Exactly what I wanted!

Check out my Atlas Map Generator

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

Re: A proper score graph

Originally posted by ulfn
          Quite a while later Civ III was about to be released. This time it was remade from scratch so there was no way it was gonna have the same problem. It didn't. Instead they chose to present the score in what is without doubt the worst way known to man. I despaired.

When Civ IV came out I didn't dare hope for improvement. And sure enough, not only did they keep the hopeless presentation, but they made it look incredibly ugly too.

Right on, Ulf, right on

Thanks for the new graph. I'll include it in my game for sure.
          "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
          --George Bernard Shaw
          A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
          --Woody Allen

Comment

Very nice. I dislike the present system myself. A comparison graph is much nicer.

Bh

Comment

Quite frankly I have difficulty comprehending the original. Thanks for this!

Comment

Looks great. Downloading it right now.
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

the mod doesn't seem to let me see the info screen in 1.09

from this thread:: ((not exactly the same problem, but extremely similar))

Snapster
                  With patch 1.09 installed, this mod prevents the Info Screen (F9) from opening.

Bhruic
                  Yup, the easiest way to fix it is to copy over the new CvScreensInterface.py file ("Assets\Python\EntryPoints"), and modify the line that says:
                  import CvForeignAdvisor
                  to
                  import CvCustomForeignAdvisor

and:
                  foreignAdvisor = CvForeignAdvisor.CvForeignAdvisor()
                  to
                  foreignAdvisor = CvCustomForeignAdvisor.CvCustomForeignAdvisor()

But I'll throw up a new version soonish.

Bh
                  Not sure if Bhruic ment to say CvInfoScreen or not, but I'll try it both ways to see what works

edit3: seems even without your custom info screen it won't show it to me. I guess I need to do more testing to find out what the problem is.
                  Last edited by ghen; November 26, 2005, 01:18.
                  ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Yay, thank you
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

New version for patch 1.09 available. It also fixes some minor bugs:
                      • The graph is no longer displayed in the background of the other tabs.
                      • Resets the number of turns to display to match the drop-down selection.

ghen: There is no need to modify CvScreensInterface.py. The problem was that they added an extra argument to the display function. I've modified my version accordingly.

A nice thing with the patch is that they fixed the line drawing routine. Now the lines look quite nice, if a bit thin. I'll look into the possibility of drawing thicker lines.

Edit: I made thicker lines by drawing three lines instead of one. It's not the most efficient way but it looks good.

Download thin line version
                      Download thick line version
                      Last edited by ulfn; November 26, 2005, 13:12.

Comment

Oh.. and by the way, here's what the latest version (with thick lines) looks like:

Comment

Is there any way to put a legend into the screen, with who's who?

Like:
                          orange - Catherine of the Russians
                          yellow - Hatshepsut of the Egyptians
                          ...and so on
                          "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                          --George Bernard Shaw
                          A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                          --Woody Allen

Comment

I am surprised that someone doesn't know the colors after the first few games.

Comment

I don't pay attention to colours. Besides, some of them are very close and difficult to distinguish.

I once played England and started near the germans. Well, I can tell you that on the minimap I could not tell where the border was, because of the similar colours.

What's wrong with a legend ?
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X