What are you wrong about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you wrong about?

Pretty sure I've posted this video here before, but not as its own thread. It's one of my favorite talks. Not strictly essential viewing for the thread, though. Anyway, we've all had the experiences of finding out that we were wrong about a thing we thought we were right about. It happens, you know, everyday. We even find out that we were "wrong" about pretty major things and end up changing our worldviews, albeit very slowly. Anyway, the point is, except on those occasions, we all feel that now we're right about everything. Except, that can't really be the case. In all likelihood, we hold beliefs at this moment which we will later find out are incorrect, despite how we feel about them now.

So, what do you think you might be wrong about? I should add that I'm looking for beliefs you currently have high confidence in. So, you know, you might think your local gas station has unleaded at $2.49/gal, but if you show up and it's $2.47/gal you won't be utterly shocked. I'd add what I think I might be wrong about, but **** look at the time I have to go to work now.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

I'm wrong about thinking there's something I'm wrong about.

Comment

i briefly thought ted talks were useful
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I was wrong about the death penalty. While I still believe it's a deterrent, I don't believe it can be administered without bias, so I don't support it anymore.
        Part of the change was due to the people here. (many years ago)
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So, that change of mind was wrong.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I was wrong about thinking that liberalization of labour markets will lead to better economic productivity and outcomes in the countries it is performed in. That IMF knows what they are doing (they actually probably do know what they are doing though), and that the agenda is stabilization of the situations it intervenes in. That EU is not lead by a bunch of self-serving bureaucrats, where democracy was not a mere nuisance. That large corporations are not more than glorified dictatorships (fortunately mostly focused on making money legally). I was wrong about British media, did not think they were as blatantly corrupt as the American or Russian ones.

I am sure I can think of more, but this was first on my mind.
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I've been questioning my ideology, I'm beginning to think humanity is not good for the planet and it's life, and capitalism (or whatever word you want to attach to a progressive system of resource extraction and exploitation) is a corporate feeding frenzy continually filling our ever growing bellies

'conservatism' - and by that I mean traditional, village life based on foraging and farming - is much more sustainable.

many cultures even have myths linking technological advances to the displeasure of the gods, from the Tower of Babel to the Incan invention of writing. The Hopi were given a plot of land and told to live austere lives, if everyone was doing that most of our problems would evaporate

as I type away on a plastic keyboard with electricity provided by our local coal plant

Comment

I think I might be wrong about a lot of things so I try not to be absolut so as not to be made a complete fool but also to leave my options open and not let misguided opinions dictate my actions.

It doesn't work

Comment

I was wrong and misinformed about many things. About Catholicism, etc. That's why I came over.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    I am wrong and misinformed about many things.
                    Fixed.
                    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I think Cotton Eye Joe would make a great lullaby with a different melody.
                      Am I wrong?
                      Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Glad to see you agree with me Gian, that I was once cast into darkness but have now found the light
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

The question is what you are wrong about. We all have examples of what we were wrong about.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

That's a good question. I might be wrong about Britain going #Brexit. They might get cold feet and back out. I was wrong about someone's motivations just the other day. I was interpreting wrongly from the information provided. I thought something might be wrong, but it wasn't. Uh, a friend of mine that I thought was doing quite well is actually having quite a bit of difficulties.

Student I had perceived as 'disinterested' showed up after class and asked for help. That was a surprise. They had been doing enough work to get by all term but decided they wanted to do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              The question is what you are wrong about. We all have examples of what we were wrong about.
                              We are in the process of finding that one out.
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X