No announcement yet.

Proxima Centauri b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They already said it wasn't spinning didn't they? They sounded pretty sure.

Comment

It's just a guess based on the age of the star and the planet's distance from it. The radial velocity detection method cannot tell us whether the planet is tidally locked.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Tidal or near tidal locking with an atmosphere would result in very interesting and potentially very powerful weather systems.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Yup. There have been a lot of papers recently (because of the "Living with a Red Dwarf" program) looking at atmospheric simulations of exoplanets around stars like Proxima Cen.

One problem with tidal locking, though, is that it reduces the magnetic moment of the planet, and no magnetosphere + lots of solar flares (which stars like Proxima Cen have in abundance) = atmospheric stripping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

If it's habitable, average lifetime will be near 2.500 years
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Lori would it be worthwhile to work this with SPECKTR to try to make images of the planet?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                If it's habitable, average lifetime will be near 2.500 years
                Umm, how do you get that?
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                  Umm, how do you get that?
                  I would guess the calculation he did was a human lifetime of 75 Earth years = 2,500 years on this planet, given an 11-day year. (365/11*75=~2,500)
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The inhabitants of Proxima b will be constantly partying, because everyday it will be someones elses birthday
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I understand it orbits a red dwarf

I thought red dwarves are the leftover cores of red giants

so how did this planet survive the red giant phase that close?

or was it dragged closer?

I seriously doubt any water survived

Comment

Red dwarfs are just low mass stars, busily (well, not so busily) fusing hydrogen into helium just like our star. White dwarfs are the end products of the giant phase (for small enough stars).

Comment

I thought red dwarves are the leftover cores of red giants
                          Ahh. Yeah. Stars don't 'evolve into' being Red dwarfs. That's a misconception I had myself. Depending on the mass of the star will determine the temperature at which we see the star.

K dwarfs (orange), are about .5 solar masses to .8 solar masses. M dwarfs are anything 0.5 solar masses to about .075 solar masses. M dwarfs are an enormous, enormous category of stars.

Red giants - or rather their cores, are white dwarfs. They are much, much smaller than most red dwarfs, and much more massive (paradoxically smaller stars are more massive).
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                            I would guess the calculation he did was a human lifetime of 75 Earth years = 2,500 years on this planet, given an 11-day year. (365/11*75=~2,500)
                            Spot on and of course meaningless - half way expected Lori to give me a or two.
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Red dwarves are the oldest stars in the universe, and there will seldom be a time when they are not.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The discoverers of Promixa b did some more research/calculations and estimate the size of Promixa b to be around 0.94 and 1.4 earth radii.
                                Depending on the size it could have oceans, similar on earth (if its around the smaller extmates) or even (if the size is around the bigger estimates) even be covered in a 200k deep planetary ocean.
                                Likewise they assume good chances for an atmosphere in both scenarios

A rocky planet discovered in the "habitable" zone of the star nearest our Sun may be covered with oceans, researchers at France's CNRS research institute said Thursday.

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
                                X