Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tukish Military Does What The Turkish Military Does Best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several officers reportedly have fled to Greece in a military blackhawk helicopter where they requested assylum but were instead arrested for illegal entry.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Now the time has come for Erdogan to create his own turkish form of "Ermächtigungsgesetz" ...
      with the AKP dominated parliament (and all opposition soon to be crushed) noone will be able to vote against it
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
        Now the time has come for Erdogan to create his own turkish form of "Ermächtigungsgesetz" ...
        with the AKP dominated parliament (and all opposition soon to be crushed) noone will be able to vote against it

Meanwhile the guy behind the coup has been identified:

Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
          Meanwhile the guy behind the coup has been identified:

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
            Tukish Military Does What The Turkish Military Does Best?
            Loses? I mean, when was the last time when they won? This time they lose even to other Turks. They found the weakest possible opponent, and lost anyway.

They should have made their coup in France. It's not like Turks can defeat French, of course, but in the hopes that France will surrender.
            Knowledge is Power

Comment

Originally posted by Ellestar View Post
              Loses? I mean, when was the last time when they won? This time they lose even to other Turks. They found the weakest possible opponent, and lost anyway.

They should have made their coup in France. It's not like Turks can defeat French, of course, but in the hopes that France will surrender.
              Actually the turkish military had several successful coups over the decades ...
              whenever there was a president who tried to turn Turkey away from Atatürks laizist ideals

Meanwhile there are several indications that Erdogan knew about the coup beforehand and allowed to let it happen,
              because he knew it would politically be beneficial for him.

Comment

They didn't have enough upper level support it appears. Erdogan is dragging his country into the dark ages.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
                  They didn't have enough upper level support it appears. Erdogan is dragging his country into the dark ages.
                  Aye ... it was good step for Erdogan to replace all upper levels of the military with his own people

Comment

Looks like the question was whether this was a Reichstag fire.

Erdogan will slowly (or even rapidly) turn the state into an islamist quasi autocracy
                    Erdogan is already trying to implement Sharia across Turkey. He is also shutting down Inkerlik which is being used by the Americans against ISIS. And, (joy), just happens to contain 70 atomic weapons.
                    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; July 16, 2016, 22:05.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I've seen a number of Germans making the Reichstag connection.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Now they are trying to blame Gulen. The only guy that could possibly pose a threat to Erdogan. Erdogan talks a lot of nonsense to his people and in the long run doesn't provide any sort of economic and internal stability. The Kurds are increasingly showing discord and Turkey was being struck by Daesh. Some may say this could strengthen Erdogan, but at the same time may backfire with more insecurity.

Erdogan already was made to look like a fool when he apologized to Russia. So while he may appear strong internally, the West may continue to shun him. If he turns more authoritarian that too could backfire and give Gulen more cause to increase criticism. Gulen was once an ally of Erdogan but sharply turned against him. Gulen believes in a peaceful moderate solution.
                        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Erdogan already has taken consequences from the failed coup ... he purged around 2700 judges and prosecutors and put many of them in jail.

Well, they didn't have anything to do with the coup, of course, but obviously they didn't hand out the court decisions that Erdogan expected them to hand out

I guess their replacement will be better with rergards to obeying Erdogan
                          Well, looks like Erdogan finally gets his Volksgerichtshof
                          Last edited by Proteus_MST; July 17, 2016, 04:45.

Comment

So what are the odds that Gulen really was behind the coup vs Erdogan just using this as an excuse to eliminate that last of the opposition?

Comment

I'd guess Gulen has as much to do with the coup, as the judges and Prosecutors that were arrested
                              (i.e. most probably nothing)

Comment

Erdogan is likely still pissed off about how judges threw put the last two claims he made about his opposition supposedly being guilty of treason. The courts found Erdogan's "evidence" to be fabricated and not genuine so now Erdogan wants o get rid of the rule of law and just have kangaroo courts packed by his yesmen who don't care about the rule of law.

Turkey is in a dark place and Erdogan is killing democracy.
                                Last edited by Dinner; July 17, 2016, 12:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X