Moral dilemmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral dilemmas

Ok, say you jokingly told someone a character died at the end of a popular book series, which was completely untrue. Then that person freaked at because they thought you'd spoiled it. How could you admit you were only joking without actually spoiling the ending by confirming that the character doesn't actually die?

Discuss.

You don't.

It's not much of a discussion though.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

say something that re-establishes the situational ambiguity.

'you know, you shouldn't believe everything you hear...'
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

"I was joking, I don't know the end actually" (possible, but rather lame )
        Blah

Comment

Claim you haven't actually read the series at all and were just making **** up.

Edit: BEBROOOOOOO!
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Tell them you were joking, that you actually have not read tge book in question, and that you were just ****ing with him/her.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

"I did just say it cuz I wanted you to freak out" ...

/true friend
              Blah

Comment

Ok, say you jokingly told someone a character died at the end of a popular book series, which was completely untrue.
                Apologize for spoiling the end of the book, but encourage them to carry on and finish. "It's really quite well done, you'll be impressed". Then after a week or so when you see them next, casually ask if they've read to the end yet.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Kidnap the author. Make them write another book in the series where the main character does die. Publish it. Then when the poster blames you for ruining the series for them, point to the date on your post and berate them for stupidly believing your prediction was a spoiler.

Comment

Say "Yeah, dead, like Schrödinger's cat"
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Tell them it's only a fuking book and that they should get some perspective.
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                        Ok, say you jokingly told someone a character died at the end of a popular book series, which was completely untrue. Then that person freaked at because they thought you'd spoiled it. How could you admit you were only joking without actually spoiling the ending by confirming that the character doesn't actually die?

Discuss.
                        I will never forgive you for telling me Hermione died. **** off.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Well that's one series I won't be reading. Bastard.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

"Get over it, I was joking!"

Keep it simple and direct.
                            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
                              Tell them it's only a fuking book and that they should get some perspective.
                              Disagree. If people saved their anger for online discussions of books rather than the bleak injustice and misery of our civilization, the world would be a more peaceful place.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X