No announcement yet.

Could you become a Catholic Preist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also the Catholic Church moves glacially. I guess its part of the deal when you have an institution that is (at least) 1500 years old.

Oh, I voted "No"
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
      When they stopped saying the mass in Latin in the late 60's it created a minor schism - I believe the fear is that if the church started allowing married priests, female priests, openly homosexual priests, and so on, then it might collapse.
      If they start having female priests they will have to go back to Latin mass.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
        If they start having female priests they will have to go back to Latin mass.

Comment

But wouldn´t it be the same if a priest were devoted to god (and became priest to spread gods word) but assumed that the church is totally wrong with regards to celibacy (after all Jesus also had married disciples ... and before the 12th century there was no dictate of celibacy upon catholic priests).
          Wouldn´t this priest be as tempted as a priest who is "just" devoted to the church, to neglect the rules of celibacy?
          That's what they do with the Eastern or Byz rite. Celibacy is a requirement only for Roman or Latin Rite. It won't change because that's how the Latin rite works. The reason most Catholics are Latin Rite has to do with the fact that it's been a success.

As for me, no.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

When they stopped saying the mass in Latin in the late 60's it created a minor schism - I believe the fear is that if the church started allowing married priests, female priests, openly homosexual priests, and so on, then it might collapse.
            They've never stopped saying the Latin mass. You can still get to one today. It's ceased to be a requirement in the 60s and many (although certainly not all), do theirs in the vernacular. There's no schism over it and any priest has to know it and be prepared to do a Latin mass at any time.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

he's just devoted to the Church he will not keep his vow
              Why accept the tyranny of or? Catholics have a very different understanding of the role of the Church than protestants.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                Why accept the tyranny of or? Catholics have a very different understanding of the role of the Church than protestants.
                Because God and the Church are different things. You can't serve two masters.

Comment

Because God and the Church are different things. You can't serve two masters.
                  Are a husband and wife two or one?

Comment

Two

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                      Yeah. It was a political thing, not a spiritual thing. Honestly I think the rule ought to be revoked, but of course that would make too much sense.
                      Red Hot Catholic Love is probably my favorite episode of South Park.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Two. I don't need a church that covers for pedophiles to offer their opinion on the matter.
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

That's what they do with the Eastern or Byz rite. Celibacy is a requirement only for Roman or Latin Rite. It won't change because that's how the Latin rite works. The reason most Catholics are Latin Rite has to do with the fact that it's been a success.

As for me, no.
                          A success defined by how many children were raped and how many priests were merely shuffled around. And the saddest part is, prior to the past 15-20 years, nobody was saying **** about it so we can only venture a guess as to how widespread it is.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                            The no sex thing would be a deal breaker.
                            Quite but if you're old and your todger has withered and you're down on your luck, monk isn't a bad option - a roof over your head, three meals a day, some light work like gardening, out in the fresh air, lots of singing, free hair cuts and clothing, a warm grave at the end that you don't have to pay for. I'd hit it if say my family disowned me, or were abducted by aliens.
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                              Quite but if you're old and your todger has withered and you're down on your luck, monk isn't a bad option - a roof over your head, three meals a day, some light work like gardening, out in the fresh air, lots of singing, free hair cuts and clothing, a warm grave at the end that you don't have to pay for. I'd hit it.
                              This is what's wrong with your church.

Comment

jealous?
                                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                                X