Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would a rape victim go to the media first and not the police?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
    I guess the point I'll eventually arrive at in this conversation is "do you believe most rape accusations are false, and if so why is that more likely than rape?"
    I don't have an opinion on "most rape accusations", I have an opinion on this one.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Have you guys not been paying attention to the cops in America? Why would any one go to them?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I don't think even MRT believes a white 20-something girl has anything to fear from the police. In fact I'd wager he'd be willing to go on an extended diatribe about how the fact that she doesn't and others do is tragic etc.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Robert 'Willie' Pickton. If you don't know his story, look it up. Police knew he was a rapist and arrested him for the attempted murder of a hooker. But since she was a hooker, the police and Crown Attorney really didn't try and the charges were dropped. 5 years later, he was arrested for murder. In the end, he was convicted of murdering 6 women, and is believed to have killed up to 49.

Had the press stayed on top of the story back in '97, women just might have avoided him.
          Last edited by Uncle Sparky; December 6, 2014, 02:52.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
            I don't know any of the details of this case, and I don't particularly care about them. That said, a rape victim's recollections not aligning with reality does not mean rape did not occur. Confabulation is real and very common, especially during emotionally-charged experiences. (That doesn't mean a rape did necessarily occur, either. The point is, apparently faulty memory is indicative of a human being involved, not of a lie being told.)
            Two of the men she claimed took part in a her supposed gang rape weren't even in the cou try when she claim they raped her. That is a pretty rock solid alibi, being on an entirely different continent.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Because the police might debase the accusation or not pursue investigation because the proscutability of the crime is unlikely. I mean, that's a reason and as the New Orleans PD shows, police don't really know how to do rape cases (and that's as generous as I'll be) effectively or efficiently.

Who knows in this case. I think Rolling Stone probably was a little too eager for this.
              They were definately eager for a rape story as that was what all the social justice warriors wanted after they lied and tried to turn gamergate i to "pro rape misogyny". The problem is they did zero fact check, they even qd.itted s much, and instead printed provably untrue lies and got an entirely fraternity banned and their former members turned into outcasts with virtual scarlet letters... Over a completely fabricated story. If you are going to publish stuff accusing people and organizations of being guilty of violent crimes then you had better do some basic fact checking including at least asking for the other side of the story before you print. Rolli g Stone deserves to get their pants sued off.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The details being "provably wrong" doesn't in any sense rule out memory errors. Again, I don't particularly care about this case. It's quite possible no rape occurred. I'm simply making a general statement about the idea that incongruous accounts rule out the event.
                The good thing is that this was found out before the process went on further. *sigh*. There are too many women who are actually raped and the ones who lie about it make things so much more difficult.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Because the police might debase the accusation or not pursue investigation because the proscutability of the crime is unlikely. I mean, that's a reason and as the New Orleans PD shows, police don't really know how to do rape cases (and that's as generous as I'll be) effectively or efficiently.

Who knows in this case. I think Rolling Stone probably was a little too eager for this.
                  If you really got raped you would go to the police. If you don't have a case you don't have a case. It's not the fault of the police you ****ing ******.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I guess the point I'll eventually arrive at in this conversation is "do you believe most rape accusations are false, and if so why is that more likely than rape?"
                    Well why don't you ask a police officer that question. That idea never crossed your mind, did it?
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                    X