No announcement yet.

IDP discussion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not an IDP manager and not likely to be, but I would caution focusing on 'penalty/reward'. BAPAY cannot 'reward' anyone: anyone is at any time free to pick the BAPAY player, or to request a BAPAY.

A BAPAY is by definition a penalty of some form, as it constrains a manager to choosing only one specific player (with some ability to adjust later, but still, constrains them in some fashion based on later picks). However, BAPAYs main purpose is and always should be one thing: to move the draft along. They are a way of the league to ensure drafting is done at a reasonable pace and no one manager slows down the draft excessively. They serve that purpose well simply by being a defined pick that any manager can assign based on rules. There isn't a need to further penalize people by choosing, effectively, "NTBAPAY" (not the best available player at Yahoo). That makes a team that's probably already not a very top team even worse, which is bad for the league's competitiveness. I don't think anyone would disagree that having 10 or 12 competitive teams is more fun and interesting than having bad teams that are walkovers.

As such, the discussion should solely be "What is the most fair/reasonable way to determine the best available player at Yahoo". The only real explicit penalty should, frankly, be prohibiting a consistently bad drafter from participating in the league next year.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Also, you drafted Bishop Sankey, Torrey Smith, Lamar Miller, and Arian Foster based on LAST YEARS numbers?
      Foster I owned last year, and I got him in the 3rd round. Bishop Sankey, in the 8th. Lamar Miller I also owned as a bye filler last year, so it makes sense I would draft him where I did. Torrey Smith, I thought was a bargain for his price.

Compare where they are ranked in the analyst's values vs where I drafted them in the picks.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
        Not an IDP manager and not likely to be, but I would caution focusing on 'penalty/reward'. BAPAY cannot 'reward' anyone: anyone is at any time free to pick the BAPAY player, or to request a BAPAY.

A BAPAY is by definition a penalty of some form, as it constrains a manager to choosing only one specific player (with some ability to adjust later, but still, constrains them in some fashion based on later picks). However, BAPAYs main purpose is and always should be one thing: to move the draft along. They are a way of the league to ensure drafting is done at a reasonable pace and no one manager slows down the draft excessively. They serve that purpose well simply by being a defined pick that any manager can assign based on rules. There isn't a need to further penalize people by choosing, effectively, "NTBAPAY" (not the best available player at Yahoo). That makes a team that's probably already not a very top team even worse, which is bad for the league's competitiveness. I don't think anyone would disagree that having 10 or 12 competitive teams is more fun and interesting than having bad teams that are walkovers.

As such, the discussion should solely be "What is the most fair/reasonable way to determine the best available player at Yahoo". The only real explicit penalty should, frankly, be prohibiting a consistently bad drafter from participating in the league next year.
        This is all sophistry, snoop; "penal" is in the eye of the beholder and "best available player at Yahoo" has always been code for "you might get screwed."

We have solid teams here for the most part, and an occasional BAPAY is unlikely to turn the tide significantly. The system currently in place at IDP has drawn very few complaints across several years, and produced a playoff team last year (at FFZ) when used for a full draft. So one could argue that, in effect, it's no more (or less) unfair than the system used in Poly D/ST, or standard Yahoo drafts, or whatever.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• It's certainly not sophistry. You cannot dispute that assigning someone a BAPAY is inevitably penalizing them, by taking away the choice of which player to take - otherwise we'd all just BAPAY and the draft would be faster.

And while you may get a bad player with a BAPAY, it isn't intentional: if it were, we wouldn't have a complex system around making sure an appropriate player is assigned (based on positional appropriateness, bye weeks, whatnot) - it would be 'give them whoever you want to', or 'give them a Carolina RB', or something like that. Instead, we have a system that attempts to make a reasonable selection for the person: just as you argue that the current system works to give a reasonable player, in fact.

I'm not arguing for one system over the other (projected fantasy points vs. overall rank) - I have an opinion but I don't think it's relevant right now. I am just saying don't reframe the debate as 'penalizing' versus 'rewarding'. If you think that the current system works as is and gives a reasonable player, that's entirely reasonable.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• I did not use "sophistry" to denote fallacious reasoning, but rather intended it to suggest that no "system" is definitively preferable. (Mea culpa, btw.)

Instituting positional priorities was IMHO the biggest advance in helping assure appropriate bapays. (You're welcome.) It could, perhaps, use some tweaking, but has made things much more fair overall. The only "penal" aspect is really the unpredictability of year-to-year performance, and the elimination of rookies from the target pool. I introduced the term into this discussion for historical perspective, not because I want to see anyone get bad players or think that punishment should somehow motivate the Bapay system.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• When will roster moves open up? Josh Gordon is causing me anxiety and depression and I don't know how to relieve it.

Comment

• 10AM ET.
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Greadius, take heart. I'm pretty sure Justin Blackmon will be available.

Comment

• IDP rosters are now unlocked, have at it!
                    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Sloww dropped Manziel!
                      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Q: Vicious Rabbits finally broke their streak of 5 consecutive 170+ point games. Does this mean the juggernaut is slowing down?

A: 162 was still third best in the league. So no.

My team is 6-1 since rebranding after the 0-2 start. How long until the Buccaneers Effect wears off?

A: Who cares? My team beat down Sloww's team and that's all that really matters.
                        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Such a punk.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Yeah, I can attest to that. I lost in IDP because of Rule Britannihill. In a match where I was up +40 by projections.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• geez I suck at this

and my auction team is pathetic, Forte and Lynch were the RBs to bid it up on

Comment

• Feel your pain. I still think my team in IDP is better but damn.

Sooo many injuries this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X