No announcement yet.

Write Some ****ing Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a sports website - right now most of their income is from rebranding and selling the platform to other sports websites; the intention was that in several months they'd be able to sell cheap semi-customizable websites to high schools and amateur teams etc (right now it takes a few days to rebrand the platform when you ignore the customizations that the large clients ask for (customizations that a high school / amateur team won't ask for), the long term goal was to automate this process), which is what was supposed to let us operate in the black
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      Also, have all the code-theory princesses you wrote about earlier gotten the axe?
      Nobody's been fired yet - everybody is voluntarily leaving in droves

The code-theory princesses are probably going to stay around the longest, since it's relatively difficult to find functional programming jobs

Comment

A search for Java on Careerbuilder returns 8,000 jobs, a search for Scala returns 200 jobs, and a search for Haskell (which is the wet dream of functional programmers) returns 25 jobs

Comment

How do you need 600 people to develop a sports website? How big is the software team?

Comment

The back office team has about a dozen people on it, I think the front office team is comparable. We've got a ton of sales people, who evidently aren't commission only if we're going bankrupt from having too many employees.

Comment

Something seems very wrong with a web software company that has a couple dozen programmers, maybe a half dozen sysadmins, and hundreds of ****ing salesmen.

Comment

I wouldn't be all that surprised if it turns out that most of those salesmen use the same bank account as the CEO

Comment

Loin, I'd like to thank you for making my work situation seem better. Sure, my boss has acquired three completely distinct companies, and is now trying to run all three at once with the same small crew--but I get paid regularly. I mean, holy hell, that sounds profoundly dysfunctional. Good luck in the future.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I'm not likely to work for any startups after this

Comment

A startup is just a company that has yet to ever be profitable.
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Sucks. Good luck with finding another job, Loin.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Thanks, yesterday I had a second and third interview with an established (i.e. non-startup!!!) Java company (tech interview followed by vetting by the head of software development), assuming the third interview went well then next week I'll have a final interview with their client to make sure that they don't inexplicably hate me.

On Thursday I had a second interview with a less established (but non-startuppy) Scala company, my preference is for the Java company in large part because I don't want to get shoehorned into functional programming.

Right now I'm just looking for remote work, in another week or two I'll expand that to local non-remote work.

Comment

Thanks, yesterday I had a second and third interview with an established (i.e. non-startup!!!) Java company (tech interview followed by vetting by the head of software development), assuming the third interview went well then next week I'll have a final interview with their client to make sure that they don't inexplicably hate me.
                            Great news! Having the startup experience looks good with established companies.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Do you just really like Boise or do you hate going into the office/wearing pants?

Comment

My brother + sister-in-law + nieces + parents are all in Boise, and I don't like wearing pants

I moved here because my brother transferred here from San Jose (where I didn't want to live, and neither did he), and my parents moved here shortly after

Working remotely isn't a necessity, but it's nice to have the flexibility to e.g. pick up my nieces from school everyday

Comment

Working...
                                X