Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predict the percentage of Catholic clergy who are paedophiles

The Pope is going for 2%.

Pope Francis has said reliable data indicates that "about 2%" of clergy in the Catholic Church are paedophiles.

In an interview with the Italian La Repubblica newspaper, the Pope said that abuse of children was like "leprosy" infecting the Church.

He vowed to "confront it with the severity it demands".

In the same interview he said he believed "solutions" existed to problems posed by the prohibition on priests marrying.

Pope Francis said that the 2% estimate came from advisers. It would represent around 8,000 priests out of a global number of about 414,000.

"Among the 2% who are paedophiles are priests, bishops and cardinals. Others, more numerous, know but keep quiet. They punish without giving the reason," Pope Francis said.

"I find this state of affairs intolerable," he went on.

Above the interview La Repubblica ran the headline: "Pope says: Like Jesus, I shall use a stick against paedophile priests."

Last year Pope Francis strengthened the Vatican's laws against child abuse and earlier this month begged forgiveness from the victims of sexual abuse by priests, at his first meeting with victims since his election.

Many survivors of abuse by priests are angry at what they see as the Vatican's failure to punish senior officials who have been accused of covering up scandals.

Asked about the celibacy rule for priests, Pope Francis recalled that it was adopted 900 years after the death of Jesus Christ and pointed out that the Eastern Catholic Church allows its priests to marry.

"The problem certainly exists but it is not on a large scale. It will need time but the solutions are there and I will find them."

While the incidence of paedophilia in the general population is not accurately known, some estimates have put it at less than five percent.
    Pope Francis says "about 2%" of Catholic clergy are paedophiles and that he is determined to confront the problem, in an interview with an Italian paper.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

I think he used the wrong analogy. Tuberculosis would be a better one, although I suppose Hansen's Disease has quaint 'heritage' mediaeval overtones.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

"The problem certainly exists but it is not on a large scale. It will need time but the solutions are there and I will find them."
      Child rape denial

Pope Francis
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Where is Ecofarm when we need him?
        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

This is in line with other professions.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

So Ben thinks 2% is a normal level of pedophiles...?

Comment

Is 2% an acceptable level of shit on your face?

That's how I tend to view these things. If I had that amount of actual human poop on my face, would I be comfortable with it?

NO AMOUNT OF POOP IS ACCEPTABLE
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

To be fair, in Ben's case, he probably does see about 2% of history teachers being pedophiles.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

When it comes to a woman's uterus... that has to be on lockdown.

and gays get married? Hah! Never!

But child rape? hmmm, well, a little bit is fine I suppose... just not too much
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                    Child rape denial

Pope Francis
                    If I read that correctly, it was about priests who wanted to get married. Not about pedophilia.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

""Among the 2% who are paedophiles are priests, bishops and cardinals. Others, more numerous, know but keep quiet. They punish without giving the reason," Pope Francis was quoted as saying."

That looks pretty unambiguous.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Is 2% an acceptable level of **** on your face?

That's how I tend to view these things. If I had that amount of actual human poop on my face, would I be comfortable with it?
                        Are you comfortable with a 2 percent level of sexual abusers within public schools?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

When it comes to a woman's uterus... that has to be on lockdown.
                          2 percent of women get abortions?

Comment

50%
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Thanks for driving my point home, MRT.

Comment

Working...
                              X