Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Seriously, how are gay people a race?
    They're not. If you don't know the point I'm getting at, you're a total ****ing moron.

And a racist one at that. But we all know that already.
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
      Christians believe lying is wrong too...does this business refuse service to liars?

Christians believe that adultery is wrong too...do they refuse service to most second marriages?

Seriously...the "Christian" moniker for gay discrimination is nothing short of using religion to promote bigotry.

If this business was truly "Christian" it would promote tolerence ("Do unto others as you would have others do unto you"..."Let you who are without sin cast the first stone").

Jesus sat down with sinners and embraced them. Christians need to remember this fact. In truth, most Christians need to learn what Christianity is all about instead of listening to the money machine that is organized religion.
      Total hypocrites. These guys probably wouldn't bat an eyelash if someone came in and tried to order a wedding cake with two liars on it!
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

They probably would have sold a cake to Hitler for his wedding.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
          They probably would have sold a cake to Hitler for his wedding.
          Godwinized! Post 63!

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

also, when you go to the vatican, don't ask to use the "little boys room"
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              What harm? Their plans were very slightly inconvenienced, and maybe they had their feelings hurt. Legal action made sense in the context of segregation because basically every part of Southern society was engaged in keeping Black people down; the "conspiracy" had to be broken by force. Almost the reverse is true here; our society is sufficiently gay-friendly that Burger King just came out with a Gay Pride Whopper. When a multinational corporation thinks it's safe to hop on the bandwagon, it's pretty clear that the fight is simply over, at least where public opinion is concerned.
              i think you view this too narrowly. the issue isn't only the harm in the particular case, but also the harm caused in wider society by saying that it's fine to discriminate based on race, sexual orientation, gender, age etc.

i would also say that although society is more gay friendly that it was, there is still a lot of homophobia; people are still physically attacked for their sexuality and homophobic bullying is a real problem in schools to give two examples.

And we're only going to get more gay-friendly from here on out. People like these bakers (in America, at least) are rare, and getting rarer.
              great, and i agree that progress is being made. however, i don't think we should use that to dent that homophobia exists or downplay its extent.

Now is the time, if only people were sensible, to be conciliatory, give these people a means to come to terms with the new order. I understand why it's not going to happen--the fight's been too long, too bitter--but this kind of vindictive behavior is still stupid. The losing side--Fundies, or whatever you want to call them--will (correctly) interpret this sort of thing as a portent that they will not be tolerated in modern society. Ergo, the reasoning continues, they have no stake in society, and nothing to lose. Their reaction to such a new order is hard to predict at this point, but I expect a fair number of them will simply turtle up and settle in for the long haul. They're culturally well suited to that strategy, and the hard times ahead (climate change, if nothing else) will help their numbers. They certainly don't seem likely to politely shrivel up and disappear into the woodwork like the old guard of the Segregationist era.
              although in light of our discussion a few weeks ago, i can accept that the general situation may be different in the states to here, i find it difficult to accept that a social acceptance and toleration of bigotry is going to make that bigotry disappear faster than social condemnation and action where appropriate.

there is also a key difference in what is being forced here. gay people can't change their sexuality, black people can't change their race and so on. bigots on the other hand, can easily change their views.
              Last edited by C0ckney; July 11, 2014, 13:32. Reason: added a couple of words to make a point clearer
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Think about this for a second... outside of the politics.

Someone walks into your bakery and wants a Bert & Ernie gay cake. What kind of person doesn't think of this as a hilarious joke?

Also, who gets so upset they refuse to make the cake?

****ing psychos, that's who.

**** those people. **** their little shoppe. **** all their sympathizers. They're all going to hell.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

but also the harm caused in wider society by saying that it's fine to discriminate based on race, sexual orientation, gender, age etc
                  What about religion? Should Catholics in the UK receive compensation for the state sponsored discrimination they endured for 250+ years prior to emancipation?

gay people can't change their sexuality, black people can't change their race and so on. bigots on the other hand, can easily change their views.
                  Ah. So you believe that conversion is meaningless, and that it should be easy to force people to conform to your vision of society.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

**** you too!
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                      bigots on the other hand, can easily change their views.
                      Current research in psychology says otherwise. (It's possible, yes, but by no means easy.) Our focus should be on brainwashing the children of bigoted people to be gay-friendly. That's significantly easier.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        Current research in psychology says otherwise. (It's possible, yes, but by no means easy.) Our focus should be on brainwashing the children of bigoted people to be gay-friendly. That's significantly easier.
                        It's an issue of demographics. They'll die off.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yup!

Comment

Our focus should be on brainwashing the children of bigoted people to be gay-friendly. That's significantly easier.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yes. You are the nazi.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

no wonder your tribe didn't want you back after your roomspringa

or however you spell that
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X