Can they charge me rent for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can they charge me rent for this?

So I used my option in my leasing contract to give 60 days notice and they would re-lease the unit. Someone ended up signing a lease for the 16th. When I asked if that was my move out date they said no, I would have to move out on the 9th because they needed time to get the apartment turned over. The thing is they are charging me rent for that week. Anyone know if they are allowed to do that? This is the worst apartment complex I have ever had to deal with.

Depends on the region and municipality.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Tampa, FL

Any idea where I could get information related to this?

Comment

They cannot enforce move out date on the 9th if your tenancy agreement has you out on the 30th of the month. By the same token, yes, they can collect pro-rated rent for the last month up to the 16th.

Unless your contract specified a move out date when you signed, then you're good to stay there right up to the 16th.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm so happy I bought a place 10 years ago and don't have to deal with rental leases.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
            Tampa, FL

Any idea where I could get information related to this?
            My suggestion is that google is your friend.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't believe they can do this legally. Call tenants association.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Alternatively, tell them you won't pay for that week.

They won't bother.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Don't tell them that until you move your stuff, though.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It is entirely dependent on what your lease terms say. If, as it appears from the OP. your 60 days is up on the 16th then they can charge rent through the 16th. If it is up on the 9th, then they can charge rent through the 9th. If you notice expires at the end of the month, then they are cutting you a break by only charging through the 16th...which may be a legal requirement as they have re-let the property.

Need more information.
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I support the right of private businesses to remove unruly tenants at will.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I wasn't removed, I couldn't stand the place so I used the clause in my contract to get out early.

Comment

which may be a legal requirement as they have re-let the property.
                          They actually cannot collect double rent. If the new tenants' term is the 16th, they could not legally charge DrixNax a dime.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I used the clause in my contract to get out early.
                            Does your contract state a move-out date or period?

Comment

Not sure. I've sent them an email asking them to state their legal basis for the charge, whether it be in the contract or Florida state law. My guess is there is some wording somewhere that allows them to get away with it. Trying to find it though is like searching for a needle in a haystack unless you know where to look. That's usually how these things go down and this is a complex known for doing this kind of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X