The Mystery of Fashion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
    I'm not qualified for any particular job that would offer a rewarding experience. Nor do I want to spend years achievingbuying those "qualifications" at a college. Been there. Done that. Debt's paid off.
    Personal debt paid off? Good. What about the debt to the Civilization which educated you? What about the debt to the discoverers of the facts you were educated about? What about the coming generations which will learn of the contribution you made to their education?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• nevermind
      Last edited by Sava; May 21, 2014, 11:13. Reason: problem solved
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Maybe a God... probably not the God.

Why do you ask?
        (Sava, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes!)

Because I don't understand how you live. You're not required to tell us, btw, but my guesses are that you're (a) a bum living off of the good will of your family, (b) independently wealthy, (c) a liar, (d) bat**** insane, or (e) all of the above.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          It's my opinion that we live in a democracy? It's my opinion that democracy functions by petitioning the government? It's my opinion that when you hold a minority view, a democracy is not obliged to represent it (much)?
          i am perhaps guilty of being unclear here, so let me rephrase my statement. it's your opinion that we live in a democracy, and up to a point i would agree. however, this leads to the question: what is democracy? we could define it in terms of a political system, like say monarchy, or we could look at how much democratic control we have over our lives, our workplaces, our spaces and our communities?

to return to the point you made: that the solution to problems in a democracy is to speak to our 'representatives'. to me this is a very limited view and ignores the fact that there are (as pakitis rightly pointed out) many ways of influencing the situation in which we find ourselves: strikes, demonstrations, petitions, campaigns to name a few. people with money have more options to influence things, because in fact money seems the most effective way to shape a particular situation or context. this means that those without money must use other means in order to shape things, or even to put their views across; this can, and usually will, take the form of direct action.

(You're gonna be all like, but MLK Jr! next. So to preempt that, when society prevents you from making your voice heard, it is reasonable for you to break the law to make your voice heard. But that's clearly not the case here. This is a simple disagreement about how to allocate a particular limited resource. To voice that disagreement, tell your ****ing representative.)
          so we agree that in order to change society it is sometimes necessary to break some rules, we simply disagree about where to draw the line. i don't really see how much further we can go with this.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I only pay what is legally required of me.

And if anything, they should compensate me. This world sucks... and it's mostly because of everyone else... including you.
            Yet I give back, instead of blaming others. I've helped build 2 homes, helped children and needy adults on the steet who never had the oportunity you squander. Raise kids nobody else wants, and give them love. Who are you again that I should listen to your criticisms? Oh yes, a taker who gives nothing back. Tell it to someone who will cry for you, baby. Does the world suck? Oh poor baby...look in a mirror. See what sucks.

Comment

• let's take a look at how laws are made.
              you do know that your gov. my gov the EU nearly everyone is understuffed in neuralgic areas.
              to put it plainly in european countries AND the EU (I won't speak about the US simply because I'm not sure) laws are very very frequently drafted by private companies (that of course get paid by the state) and they base those draft laws on studies that are paid for by the private sector which they want to regulate in the first place.
              You can imagine what sort of problems this creates.

So one vote per person and not at all for say, companies.
              That's true.
              But the overall influence is different, not at all democratic. And you know there are different kinds of democracy. There's even corporate democracy that's a very bad example of it.

Comment

(Sava, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes!)

Because I don't understand how you live. You're not required to tell us, btw, but my guesses are that you're (a) a bum living off of the good will of your family, (b) independently wealthy, (c) a liar, (d) bat**** insane, or (e) all of the above.
                It's a combination of b and d.

I'm sure, by American standards, you could argue "a". Though, I don't know why a strong support system would be a bad thing. Without my family, I would literally be dead now. I've lived alone before... the freedom is nice, but it gets lonely. I don't mind being part of a family and contributing to a household. I probably exaggerate when I talk about the free time I have. On a day to day basis, I do a significant share of the household "chores".

I've noticed that American culture tends to value the whole bootstrap-pully "I built it by myself" attitude. That approach is totally foreign to me. Everything I've done in life, I've done with my family. Everything they've done has been with the support of everyone else. It's also a given that I'm going to live here with them until I meet a woman and live with her.

I actually thought I had found one last year, but it didn't work out. It's been about 6 months now since I've had female contact. When the equation in my brain tells me meeting someone new is worth it, I'll do that.

The main expense that people mostly deal with, housing, is a non-issue for me. Also, I don't have children.

I don't know what else to say. Do you have any specific questions?
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• nevermind
                  Last edited by Sava; May 21, 2014, 11:55. Reason: problem solved
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Do you have any specific questions?
                    Not really. My mother keeps telling me that I can come back home to lessen the financial burden while I go to school, but that idea just makes me feel like ****. I didn't move out until I was 22, and I don't want to have to impose on my family anymore. To me, moving back in would just cement the idea that I'm basically a total failure who's incapable of living an adult life.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• That's what a troll always does when they are trolled with their own BS. Cry like a baby and/or turn and attack like a dog that's been cornered. In fact I do give back. I do help others, I do contribute and all you do is cry about how its not fair. How about manning up before you die of old age already?

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                        leaving aside the various assertions, for which you provide no evidence, and with which i'm not going to waste my time, this issue all depends on how you look at it. for me the point is about control of public spaces. some people believe that only those with money, such as corporations, can use public spaces, which we all pay for, to express their ideas and put across their viewpoint and view of the world. some people think that something put into a public space, belongs to all of us to do as we please with; that those without money can express themselves and challenge the views of those with money.
                        This is why we have democracy. So that society as a whole can decide what they want in public spaces.

Democracy
                        Vandalism

Comment

• nevermind
                          Last edited by Sava; May 21, 2014, 11:55. Reason: problem solved
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                            Fashion is stupid and often borders on frank misogyny.
                            Better than Joe Misogyny.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Not really. My mother keeps telling me that I can come back home to lessen the financial burden while I go to school, but that idea just makes me feel like ****. I didn't move out until I was 22, and I don't want to have to impose on my family anymore. To me, moving back in would just cement the idea that I'm basically a total failure who's incapable of living an adult life.
                              Thinking of yourself as a burden is a symptom of depression. You should accept all the help people are willing to offer. When you are able to reciprocate, do it. Your parents just want the best for you.

I moved home to go to college because my dad got very sick (skin cancer, congestive heart failure). I lived at home and went to school. I probably could have been out on my own by then, but I wanted to be with my dad. He died in 2010.

I don't regret moving back home to spend time with him and help him at the end of his life.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Attack, attack, attack. Better find your own ground before you attack. Do something for yourself before you find fault in those who have accomplished something real. Go do something with your life aside from sucking on a joint, then come talk to me. All you have is lies to accuse with. Build something real for yourself that you can share with others.

Comment

Working...
                                X