questions about the cosmos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about the cosmos

can black holes lose enough mass/spin etc to become visible?

i got more, but that one just hit me

existence is mind blowing

I thought I read somewhere that a black hole will explode if it loses enough mass (at which point it ceases to be a black hole), but a google search for "exploding black hole" only pulled up bull**** results.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I have read that black holes, if they are small enough, gradually lose mass through blackbody radation and eventually dissipate if they are not large enough to pull in more energy than they release. However, they will never become "visible" in the sense I think you mean.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Just don't extract too much matter from a black hole and you should be safe
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Tell that to the greedy corporations.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Actually, they evaporate given enough time.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
              Tell that to the greedy corporations.
              QFT
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

but if gravity determines the body's "blackness", why wont the loss of gravity make it more visible?

must be other factors making it black that wont allow visibility with the loss of mass

maybe once stuff is compacted into a black hole the density stays ~the same even if mass is lost and density matters

Comment

but if gravity determines the body's "blackness", why wont the loss of gravity make it more visible?
                  As the black hole loses mass, the event horizon shrinks. The singularity remains unchanged.

must be other factors making it black that wont allow visibility with the loss of mass
                  Actually, in theory, hawking radiation should be observable... A black hole emits a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of radiation though. Something on the order of 10 to the negative 30th power watts.

maybe once stuff is compacted into a black hole the density stays ~the same even if mass is lost and density matters
                  Yep. Where it reaches infinite density you get a singularity. infinity/2 = infinity.
                  Last edited by Ben Kenobi; December 3, 2012, 17:28.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Gravitational force is determined by mass, not density. Jupiter, for example, has a wicked gravitational pull, but has a density of only 1.33 g/cm^3, not much more than water (1 g/cm^3). The Earth on the other hand has a density of 5.52 g/cm^3 (all numbers from Google). Jupiter is just really, really big.

IANAP, but if I remember correctly, black holes are super-dense because of their mass - not the other way around (ie, the density is a result, not a cause). Less massive black holes (not sure how that would form, but they are theoretically possible) would be smaller; at a certain size they will tend to evaporate.

Basically, a black hole gives off hawking radiation, which is mass (a very small amount), and absorbs radiation (at minimum, the cosmic background radiation). If the former is greater than the latter, it will eventually evaporate; if the latter is greater than the former, it will grow.

"Become visible", however, is not a very useful term. Black holes warp space-time when they exist; when they cease to exist, they would cease to warp space-time. I don't know if anyone truly knows what would happen though as this occurred; would there at some point be a visible object? Nothing I've read suggests that there would, but I doubt there's been enough research to determine this for sure.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Snoopy, all black holes are visible. They just are too dim to be seen. You could stand right next to a black hole, and you wouldn't be able to see it, (you could feel it though), and you'd notice it lens whatever it is in front of.

IANAP, but if I remember correctly, black holes are super-dense because of their mass - not the other way around (ie, the density is a result, not a cause). Less massive black holes (not sure how that would form, but they are theoretically possible) would be smaller; at a certain size they will tend to evaporate.
                      Black holes are actually the most and the least dense objects in the universe. The radius of a black hole is directly proportional to the mass, whereas for all other objects, the radius is an inverse square, meaning that for more massive objects, the radius shrinks. Massive black holes actually grow with their mass.

Comment

Black holes are not visible, Ben. Black holes are observable (both by their effects on space-time and the resultant gravitational lensing when observing objects behind a black hole, and their Hawking radiation), but 'visible' has a very specific meaning...

I don't entirely understand why you think more massive objects decrease in radius. I assume you're referring to gravitational compression; sure, but that's not a good way to describe it. If I take a ball of wax, and add some more wax, the radius increases as the mass increases... just not by quite as much as you would expect if there weren't compression factors from the increase in mass. That's rather different from saying the radius shrinks, which is patently wrong.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Hawking radiation might qulify as "visible" under some definitions, but since it is too faint to be detected at any signigfcant distance or amongst the emissions of infalling matter even for a close observer, that is mostly irrelevant.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I thought the whole point of a black whole is that its gravitational field is so powerful that no form of mass or EM radiation can escape? At the periphery of the event horizon of a black hole matter that's being crushed may emit radiation that escapes because it's outside the zone where gravitational forces prevent the escape of EM radiation.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Hawking radiation is a rather bizarre form that involves both quantum fluctuations and quantum tunneling, IIRC. It occurs when a particle and its antiparticle abruptly appear in the vacuum just outside an event horizon, and one falls in while the other is shot away; the one that falls in has negative energy, or energy cannot be conserved -- which cannot happen. When a particle with negative energy falls in, the total energy (and mass) is reduced.

I did say it was bizarre.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X