Apolyton Fantasy Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    If the market selects poorly (wait... stop talking like Kuci ), that just means exactly as I said... there's a lot of risk there.

And no, McCoy wouldn't have gone first overall. Not with consensus opinions about AP, Ray Rice, CJ, and Charles. McCoy was seen as #6, I think, by most.
    I know he wouldn't have gone first overall. The only people who would pick LeSean McCoy first overall are me and LeSean McCoy's mom.

The market selects first-round RBs poorly. I can't do anything about that. But you can do something about who you select. You want youth, an overall good offense, an easy schedule, little competition for RB touches, and, as icing on the cake, you want an offense with a running QB. (The effects of Vick, especially, on RB production, are incredible.)

McCoy? Check, check, check, check, check. These are the things that matter - I don't give a damn about career fantasy production. You don't still get points for what Chris Johnson did in 2008. You also don't get points for the fact that, out of context, Chris Johnson can do everything LeSean McCoy can do, but he's a lot quicker.

You only get points for the statistics that they accrue, in context, this year.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• Consensus was ~#6.

In D/ST league, I avoided the top guys and went with MJD and DMC because I saw no reason why, barring injury, they couldn't be as effective as any of the top-5 guys and I'd rather have those two than a single one of the top-5.

You're making the same statement here, although you're making the extra position that you would have taken McCoy first overall. I would not have taken MJD or DMC first overall because taking one first would have prevented me from taking the other and probably would have precluded me from my second top-15 or so RB.

So is your point instead that McCoy is just better than those guys or that, like mine, it's that there's a lot of movement in the top-15 from the preseason to the end of season and, like putting all your eggs in one basket, it is better to go for two 5-15 guys instead of one top-5 guy and one 15+ guy?

Yes, McCoy is probably better than the other top-5 guys... repeats are difficult and it seems like every year a second or latter tier guy explodes and McCoy is a viable candidate for that. But, by taking him first overall, you're destroying the value in his selection inherent to being a latter pick. By picking him, you have a better chance at snagging an Ahmad Bradshaw or Darren McFadden.

It's like taking Arian Foster first overall last year. Like yeah, it would have been appropriate based on fantasy production but you would have been incredibly stupid and lost a great deal of value by doing so.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I will probably be outscoring you this week
        If i had only played the correct latino TE!
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Jag:

I had McCoy 4th. Ray Rice, MJD, Gore and McCoy.

Had PR gone, you probably still would have gotten in IDP, but he wouldn't have gone around the turn.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

In D/ST league, I avoided the top guys and went with MJD and DMC because I saw no reason why, barring injury, they couldn't be as effective as any of the top-5 guys and I'd rather have those two than a single one of the top-5.
            Overall quality of offense.
            So is your point instead that McCoy is just better than those guys or that, like mine, it's that there's a lot of movement in the top-15 from the preseason to the end of season and, like putting all your eggs in one basket, it is better to go for two 5-15 guys instead of one top-5 guy and one 15+ guy?
            My point is the former - that McCoy is simply a better selection than the people who were drafted above him. My point is that some of the "movement" in the top 15 is entirely predictable, and wouldn't exist if you followed better rankings than the consensus, which is too heavily biased towards past production.
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

• BTW, everyone take a look at my Auction League team for an example of terrible sit/start. Left about 60 points on the table.

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                If i had only played the correct latino TE!
                TEAM LATINO!!!! *salsa*
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• And MRT, you seriously didn't start Gonzo? The matchups dictated that you started him, man! The Eagles linebackers suck and they can't cover. They don't have respectable safeties, either. And the way the Eagles blitz, you know Matt Ryan was going to dump it off a lot.

Granted, I understand having Hernandez makes that decision complicated but Gonzo was a no-brainer starter this week on a team with anybody else but like Gates or Witten.

Don't start Gonzo next week, though. I don't know who he plays but the matchup isn't as sweet for him as the Eagles were.

In fact, it was so obvious, all the ESPN cats were saying start Gonzo this week if you start him any week this year; hell, they were saying start him, he'll have a big day, then sell because this is his big game of the year.

Comment

• Oh and who was it that cut Helu before his big game? Granted, Davis is solid but someone always has a good game as soon as you cut them.

Comment

• nm
                      Last edited by Al B. Sure!; September 19, 2011, 19:46.

Comment

• Keep it up, Rams... just five more points from Josh Brown please.

Comment

And MRT, you seriously didn't start Gonzo? The matchups dictated that you started him, man! The Eagles linebackers suck and they can't cover. They don't have respectable safeties, either. And the way the Eagles blitz, you know Matt Ryan was going to dump it off a lot.

Granted, I understand having Hernandez makes that decision complicated but Gonzo was a no-brainer starter this week on a team with anybody else but like Gates or Witten.

Don't start Gonzo next week, though. I don't know who he plays but the matchup isn't as sweet for him as the Eagles were.

In fact, it was so obvious, all the ESPN cats were saying start Gonzo this week if you start him any week this year; hell, they were saying start him, he'll have a big day, then sell because this is his big game of the year.
                          I dont have ESPN and Hernandez is good and did well. Just gonzo good.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Question for Jaguar and EPW...can you make the Fantasy Football leagues "publicly viewable"?

In my NHL league we opted to do so this year, so that anyone (in the draft or not) could follow our league. Is this also an option in Fantasy Football? If so, any reason not to make the leagues publicly viewable so taht those of us in one league but not the other can view both if we so choose?

(And any other Apolyton leagues as well...I know there is an Auction league....any others?)

/me
                            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• Congrats Slow. I lead all day Sunday (though my lead shrunk as the afternoon led to evening) and eventually lose it on Monday when my hurting WR on the Giants (Nicks) is outscored by your monster Rams defensive players (Laurinaitis and Mikell).

Entertaining battle. I considered before the weekend switching out Freeman for Fitzpatrick, but thought that Fitzpatricks first week was a fluke, and that he wouldn't have nearly as good a second week as Freeman would....and that decision could have made all the difference....though I am sure we all left plenty of points on the bench :s

/me
                              "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• It's also why I traded him and kept Vincent Jackson and Davone Bess. I expect both to do better than Austin this year.

What's that, Albert?
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X