2. How should we deal with personal attacks, flames, etc.
First do a Ming-like "CHILL"
If it continues, then ban the people due to the severity of the personal attacks & flames. Also taking into account past history. For a minor flame or personal attack, 24 hours. For a major one, a week. Maybe institute a third strike rule, where you may get an extra week for your 3rd infraction.
3. How should we deal with thread jacking
Let it go. OT moderators are not supposed to guide the discussion.
4. How should we deal with user-spam (not commercial spam)
Let it go. Unless the attempt is to destroy any conversation that is going on among a few posters (but that is usually hard if the conversation is in depth)
5. Is there anything in these forums you miss? What kinda debates / topics aren't possible here but would be good for the OTF, what can we do to bring them here?
There were more in depth discussions and topics, but I don't think the administration can do anything to bring them in.
Perhaps the idea for a more moderated OT which is more harsh on thread jacking and spam and a less moderated OT (on another board they refer to it as "The Pit") should be contemplated.
6. Are there reasons for you to post or not post in this forum
I post for the people.
7. Do you like the idea of a 'closed threads' forum, or do you prefer to keep closed threads in the forum, or do you prefer them to be deleted completely?
The closed thread forum was a great idea, frankly
8. What can in general be done to make the OTF a better place
Clear moderation rules and try to avoid appearances of favoritism.
An Off Topic and a Pit can be a good idea as well.
9. What should remain to keep the OTF a good place?
Try being evenhandled and listen to people. Don't close threads for being spammy without reading the good points in the OP, for instance.
10. Anything else?
Nope . You had your first Off Topic revolt. You seem to be reacting pretty well to it.