What is your greatest wish for Civ 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your greatest wish for Civ 4?

My guess is that a new title in the official Civ series will arrive every five years until a Civ title flops. Thus we can hope for Civilization 4 to be released in 2006.

Cladding Civ 1 in new graphics and adding a few new game features was enough for Civ 2 to become an instant classic. Civ 3 had to compete with an entire genre (which was started with Civ 1) and the number of civ type games will hardly shrink during the coming years. So, what do you want Civ 4 to have to be the game of games?

(This will be my last "What is-" thread for a while)
    Make it real-time. Turn based games are so 90's.
    0.88%
    Civ 4 needs tactical combat like Empire Earth and Rise of Nations.
    3.96%
    The AI is everything.
    32.60%
    It's about time for a Civ game to have functional multiplaying from the beginning.
    7.05%
    A better trade and resource system is what Civ 4 needs.
    18.94%
    Civ 4 should have an intimate atmosphere. Add some feeling!
    19.82%
    I'm thinking of something else...
    14.54%
    I don't want Civ 4!
    2.20%
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

No real time, no tactical combat.

The AI is important, and good MP capability. As a hardered MP I should point out this does not mean the ability to play the SP game with other players.......what makes a good SP game and what makes a good MP game are often very different. It should only need a few thoughtful tweaks, not extensive (and expensive) major changes.

Comment

A better "story shaping mechanism" where the game plays differently depending on how it is played. Something like what Brad is developing for GalCiv, I suppose. And more of everything, less generic units and improvements, more resources, better AI, the possibility of "pact of brotherhood" alla SMAC, a unit design workshop, more terrain types, tiles producing more kinds of things, not just food, shields & trade, small nations (like Switzerland) that affect the macro game and a religion model. And that's just for starters. I also want declining Civs, and superpowers, and some kind of way of reducing corruption through buildings, units and policys.
      But most importantly, I want leaders that live for a length of time, and are then replaced, with the possiblity of civil war, with the leader of your civ having a big effect on the way your game plays. There - I don't ask for much, do I

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I want more customization and scenario building tools! (basicly the opposite of civ 3 which still with expansion and all has less cuztomization than the original civ 2 had...)
        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

I think a better feeling of creating a civilization and a "real" history is important in an eventual Civ4. I feel this really helps making the "one-more-turn" feeling we all know so well!
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I voted AI as that's what makes a TBS game in SP mode, as previously proven and complained about. Expections were high for Civ III's AI, especially after hearing that no one on Firaxis had yet beated the AI on Deity, but things developed differently then as we know. So that's why I put high priority on the AI, dispite it can't be made unbeatble. As for Nikolai's suggestion, I agree with him as Civ II was great with it and the WoW concept, but Civ III screwed it somehow as they were more simplfied and not something that had depth and had an interesting background that reflected the history in a way like the WoWs in Civ II. Videos also made some of the atmosphere. Especially the council.

Irrevelant, but still... Having the head of Markos or Dan (or maybe even both) as one of the advisors would be cool. Civ III - Sid, Civ IV - Markos/Dan?
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

i don't want civ4. not if it's anything like civ3

but barring that, for it not to be made by sid.

Comment

that "just one more turn" feeling
                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

I voted for AI, big surprise there

Just-one-more-turn if of course critically important also.

If it goes real time I'm not buying. . .
                  Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                  A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                  Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

TKG,

don't ruin the fun for the rest of us. If you don't like Civ III, fine, but having such premonitions about Civ IV (notive: a possible fourth version) is abit paranoia, and espcially condemning the idea that Sid would make it, is IMO quite stupid.
                    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Even if Sid didn't make it, then they would still want to put his name on the box, so he'd have some kind of input. I guess.

Oh forgot to mention that I'd want Civ4 to be more of a builder's game. I want to build an empire, not always have to steal an empire by force !

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

No RTS, but the strategic combat a'la MasterOfMagic/MasterOfOrion/ect. would be quite fun I believe.
                        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Didn't CTP2 have something like that? I didn't try the game, but I remember seeing a battle-screen of some kind in the screenies released on the Net.
                          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

hi ,

to bad we can only vote for one thing , .....

we need an option "turnless on or off" , this way everyone is happy , let Soren develop the near perfect self learning AI

radom events , helicopters that blow tanks up , a transport aircraft and a bigger map , together with at least triple maximums of cities and units , ....

and with a bit of luck we might get in with an XP or so , ....

who knows , who knows , .....

but deep inside every ones biggest wish is that the developers and distributors listen more to the people who buy the game , .....

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Turn based. No tactical combat and no real time.
                              Good AI, and easy to mod, which also implies either no 3D graphics or coming with all tools needed to edit the images.
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                              X