No announcement yet.

The classic "to buy or not to buy" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The game looks promising, and has many great features. The fact that Brian Reynolds, et al are designing the game is a big plus.

However, I note the game does not support Voodoo video cards, so it looks like it will be a longggg time before I wind up buying this game.

Even so, caveat emptor: buyer beware - read reviews and the game forums. . .

Comment

And reviews are getting less reliable by the minute
      Good thing 'Poly is here
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

However, I note the game does not support Voodoo video cards, so it looks like it will be a longggg time before I wind up buying this game.

Go get a new video card, the game's WELL worth it.

Alva has a point... (p)reviews aren't quite... what we want. Hey, some guy reviewed Civ 3 and gave it a poor rating, it didn't appeal to him, because it's not exactly "fast paced". What are you looking for in a TBS game? Fast pace?

Likewise, I wouldn't really make a good reviewer of something like Unreal Tournament 2003. My review would praise the graphics, but I'd say the game doesn't have nearly enough thinking, is way too dominant on those who move fast, etc. Why? Because I'm a strategy player.

This is why Apolyton is so great, most of us have similar gaming tastes (assuming we all are here because of Civ), so...
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          Hey, some guy reviewed Civ 3 and gave it a poor rating
          So? Sounds like a pretty good review to me

But yeah, game reviews from magazines and websites are crap. I remember one review for CtP2 where the reviewer praised the game for it's great AI but complained about the lack of moddability

I'm very grateful to BHG for releasing a demo for RoN -- not many companies do that anymore these days
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

After reading Solvers' review on beta RoN and other comments by players of the beta on the various fansites I feel pretty good about buying RoN. I probably won't buy the game the day it comes out only because I want to read about any bugs with the game first.

Yin:

Your statement alone carries great weight. I have read your comments on GalCiv and other games and trust what you say about them. You seem to be a fair and knowledgeable critic who know's his games. I have a feeling that you won't need to be buying anyones' copy of RoN as long as it's not plagued with any bugs or AI issues.
            signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Haupt. Dietrich:

Hey, thanks for the comments! I think I could only afford to buy back one copy of RON, so as long as Rasbelin is satisfied, I'm out of the woods! LOL

I do think it will be an outstanding game, though ...
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                Go get a new video card, the game's WELL worth it.
                Nada - it won't happen. . .

I'm just not one of those people who jump on the upgrade treadmill to chase after every new game that hits the market.

Heck, some TBS games are now hitting the market that require a 32MB graphics card

Talk about an incestuous relationship between game makers and video card companies. . .

They keep racheting up the game requirements without adding much in the way of game substance. . .
                Last edited by Leonidas; May 8, 2003, 14:26.

Comment

Thanks Haupt. Dietrich, I'm glad I have helped in convincing you.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas

Heck, some TBS games are now hitting the market that require a 32MB graphics card

Talk about an incestuous relationship between game makers and video card companies. . .
                    Supply and demand: gamers demand more eye-candy, the industry supplies it.

And its not always eye-candy either! Sometimes, hardware limits are pushed by the gameplay too, wether it be by improved A.I.s or farther reaching graphics to immerse players in deeper worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba

Supply and demand: gamers demand more eye-candy, the industry supplies it.

And its not always eye-candy either! Sometimes, hardware limits are pushed by the gameplay too, wether it be by improved A.I.s or farther reaching graphics to immerse players in deeper worlds.
                      This may or may not be the case.

If more/better graphics came out of new TBS games requiring the very hyped-up graphic requirements, then that would be fine.

But the problem is, newer/better graphics are not always the result.

It's an old Microsoft ploy: continually put out new software, rending the older software obsolete. Example: XP will not play DOS games. . .

The new software then requires the consumer (note - this is the operative word), to buy the new product and dispense with the older software/games.

Check out Matrix Games. Most of their NEW wargames, even the TBS ones, will require a 32MB graphics card. Remember, we're talking about TBS wargames: no flash; no tinsel; no moving units. Not even FPS with high system demands, requires this much muscle.

We're being sucker-punched. . .

Right now there are video cards that carry 128MB of RAM. With some really sloppy programming, I am sure there are game makers out there who can rachet-up a game's requirements that will force gamers to buy this card in the very near future. . .

Case in point: The game "Empires in Arms" by Matrix. It looks like a great Napoleonic game. But they are recommending a 32MB video card and 128MB of RAM to play it!

Check out the screenshots and see if you think this game needs such high requirements:

Last edited by Leonidas; May 8, 2003, 18:24.

Comment

I had those kind of graphics on my C64
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Leonidas:

I believe your assesment on us (the consumer) being sucker punched is spot on

Another industry ingeniously concocting ways to extract money from the consumer. The gaming industry is not the only industry that practices these kinds of tactics. Unfortunately for every 1 of us smart consumers there are 100 idiots out there willing to plop down their money on anything and everything.

Until the general public is educated enough, and can practice shopping restraint, we are doomed to be sucker punched again and again.
                          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

128 mb ram?

32 mb video card?

Give me a break. You can get the combined for less than 200 dollars US, and can probably do a lot better, especially on the ram front. Instead of spending time on Poly, get a part time job, you'll have that 200 in less than a month.

Sheesh

compared to what is available, these standards are still pretty minimal.

Comment

I don't that's the point Sleepy, if they ask for 32MB, the graphics should be worth it.
                              -
                              Besides it has become normal one has to upgrade his PC every two years and that just isn't right.
                              I recently upgraded my processor to a 2G XP even that one is no longer top

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                                I don't that's the point Sleepy, if they ask for 32MB, the graphics should be worth it.
                                -
                                Besides it has become normal one has to upgrade his PC every two years and that just isn't right.
                                I recently upgraded my processor to a 2G XP even that one is no longer top
                                I admit I was a bit, ahem, out of it when I posted that. I agree that 32MB should show results, and it does seem that these days those results are less and less visible.

Comment

Working...
                                X