The classic "to buy or not to buy" question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The classic "to buy or not to buy" question

Read the thread title. I.e. is RoN worth to buy it, if you like RTS and TBS games, play all Civ titles, RT and HoMM3? I've tried to follow the progress of RoN and seen quite much from it, but I'm not yet convinced, so some feedback would be welcome.

Thanks!
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

I'll buy it anyway, so...
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Demo should be out soon (around the release i reckon), judge from that.
      "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
      - UberKruX

Comment

Alex,

never heard of "try before you buy"?
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

So far I'm leaning toward not buy but the Demo will be a huge help if it impresses me enough.
          "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
          - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
            never heard of "try before you buy"?
            It's not nice to download games off of p2p networks, Rasbey.

XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

Bad me.

Nah, seriously I'm not going to get an illgeal copy for testing. The demo already sounds good enough for that.

Comment

Re: The classic "to buy or not to buy" question

Originally posted by Rasbelin
                Read the thread title. I.e. is RoN worth to buy it, if you like RTS and TBS games, play all Civ titles, RT and HoMM3?
                If you like all those...man its a no brainer...this game is it.
                Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Ras,

I know he gave you very little information but why ask whether to buy or not and then say why not wait to try it before buying? Isn't that the point of this thread to figure out if you can buy it without trying a demo?
                  About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Tniem,

yes, indeed, I'm trying to figure out if it's a good buy. However I just added that the demo will be good enough for a trial, while other comments can help the decision making.

Tass,

Comment

Unfortunately today's pcgame market forces the consumer to approach buying new games differently than in the past.

Nowadays it seems that games are released buggy and/or full of CTD's and other gameplay problems. Looking at the market from the publishers' point of view they need to rush games out to make money. If this means an unfinished product, then so be it! Damn the consumer, he is to be used to beta test the game. If there is enough interest then we'll think about patching it. (MOO3, Civ3, etc. etc.)

Consumers are forced to wait for demos, reviews both professional and from forums, borrowing the game from a friend, or other means before buying because it's not fair to just blindly spend your money on trash with no hope of cash refund. Therefor research is key before buying. Hold off for a week or two before buying.

I recently purchased GalCiv after waiting 2 weeks after it was in stores. I'm glad I did because even though GalCiv turned out to be a great game right out of the box it was usefull to read other player's comments. In all the forums I browsed I found many more positive statements about GalCiv than negative ones. I will definately do the same for RON. I want to buy it the day it comes out but I will control my urge and wait for what the word on the street is.

Money and time is too valuable to waste on garbage, buyer beware.
                      signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Not every critic is the same. Metacritic offers aggregated game reviews from the top critics, and our own METASCORE pinpoints at a glance how each game was reviewed.

Use that site to the fullest! It collects all the (p)reviews of a game into one list for your browsing pleasure, and even avrages out the ratings that each review gives.
                        "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
                        - UberKruX

Comment

I know I am buying it.
                          -PrinceBimz-

Comment

My local gamespot has 7 days return policy. It is very convenient, and I actually end up buying more games. True, returning some, but overall I think gamespot makes more money on me with this policy than without it.

To answer the original question, I would buy this particular game on the day of release anyhow, with or without return policy.
                            The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                            certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Buy it. If you're not completely impressed, I'll buy the copy from you.
                              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Working...
                              X