Conquer The World: A New Genre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conquer The World: A New Genre?

In answer to the question "What will 'Conquer The World' be like?", Graham@BHG posted the following over at

RON Pantheon:

It's a little something like Total War, but more like Risk in the global scale. You will have a big huge world map that is divided into many regions or territories like a Risk board. You begin with just one of these territories that is under your control and must go forth and take over ...the world!

When you invade a territory, or you are invaded, the outcome is decided in a Rise of Nations scenario. These are created via our scenario generator which gives you a variety of situations to play out, rather than only a set piece battle or standard random map game. For example, you may invade the same place several times and have a different objective in each attempt. Territorial battles take place in one Age, so you can concentrate on working with strategies for that era's units.

Territories can grant the controlling player special resources or bonuses that aid in your expansion or defense, so choosing to invade territory A can be more beneficial for your situation than invading territory B.

I hope that gives you a sense of what it will be like!

"So; is this almost TBS until you "zoom in" and battle in real time?"

Yes, although the game loads a scenario as opposed to you zooming in on a territory so to speak. The battles are definitely all in real time.

"Will you be able to place troops in strategic properties from the "zoomed out" view?"

From the world map, you will be able to move your army or armies around and place them in strategic locations. (such as somewhere in Central America to keep the Incan hordes down south)

"For each territoy will there be a 300 pop limit or will all your territorys add to a 300 pop limit "pot"?"

Each scenario will have its own independent population limit.

I'm glad you like the sounds of it! It's really a blast to play.
    This sounds truely awesome. I had hoped that Civ3 would have a feature something like the one in Imperialism II where when you start a battle, you go to a different screen and get to actually fight the battle, but this looks like a far more sophisticated and interesting version of that idea. It's so different from what I remember about RTS games that it sounds almost like a new genre.

It does seem a little like the Total War series' of games, which is great!

I just wonder how much detail and gameplay is involved in the 'world map' part of RoN?

Comment

Will research into new technologies and units carry over to the next battle or will it be like every other RTS and you will have to reresearch everything each battle?
      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Technology and unit upgrades don't carry over. In fact, each of the turns that takes place on the world map is during a specific Age. If you attack or must defend territory during that turn, you will only have the units and techs from that one Age.

As you progress through more rounds, the Age advances, showing a progression through time.
        www.bighugegames.com

Comment

Originally posted by Graham@BHG
          Technology and unit upgrades don't carry over. In fact, each of the turns that takes place on the world map is during a specific Age. If you attack or must defend territory during that turn, you will only have the units and techs from that one Age.

As you progress through more rounds, the Age advances, showing a progression through time.

That sounds like a fantastic feature. I'm getting more and more interested in RON all the time.
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I wonder how modifiable it will be. For example, "Conquer the World (1939-1945)" or "Conquer the World in Roman Times".

Comment

Great! AoK's campaigns sucked because you had to keep researching the same things over and over again. RoN might actually be just as good as WBC2 and TA.
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

he said it doesnt carry over so i assume u have to re-research it?
                Are you down with ODV?

Comment

If I read what Graham wrote right:

Although anything you research is not automatically carried over into the next round, the Ages do slowly advance as you play more.
                  This means that while your research will not carry forward the base level of technology at which you start would gradually increase as you played more rounds.
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Sounds great.

Comment

Graham,

So, within the one age that I am playing during each mission (or whatever they are being called) of the CTW, I will still have to reupgrade all technologies and units? Or does each mission pretty much incompass an entire age?
                      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

"Or does each mission pretty much incompass an entire age?"

Ages last for several turns or missions worth of play. (one mission or scenario per turn) After a certain number of turns, every nation's base level of technology advances to the next age, so you start missions in a later age.

You really don't have to do much upgrading when you are playing a game where your base technology starts out at a fairly high level. There are some key technologies, depending on your objective in the territory, that you will need to research. But these are essentially laying the foundation for your new territory. You aren't starting from step one all over again in the Ancient Age or madly upgrading your units.
                        Last edited by Graham@BHG; November 7, 2002, 01:14.
                        www.bighugegames.com

Comment

I see. That sounds good. I am not sure I fully understand how it works (ex. what is needed to upgrade in terms of units and techs that we haven't seen) but that is probably because a) you have fully ironed out every detail due to play testing or b) I don't fully understand how research works in this game.

Is there any place that I can read that fully explains b?

Comment

ooooh, this could be great.

I wonder how modifiable it will be. For example, "Conquer the World (1939-1945)" or "Conquer the World in Roman Times".
                            Indeed
                            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

This sounds very, very interesting indeed I'm getting more and more convinced that this game will become an instant classic and will change the RTS genre forever...
                              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X