RoN video impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anunikoba
    Brian Brian, he's our man; if he can't do it, Sid surely can't!
    Being serious, Sid made a golf fun for many people who really didn't give a care about it. He also made what many consider the best single player conversion of a card game (Magic: The Gathering).

Brian is great, but don't downplay Sid.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
      Being serious, Sid made a golf fun for many people who really didn't give a care about it. He also made what many consider the best single player conversion of a card game (Magic: The Gathering).

Brian is great, but don't downplay Sid.
      Not to mention Sid didn't design Civ III. If he had and if he had maybe wanted to be more apart of its design then maybe it would have turned out better. But he doesn't like doing sequels - can't blame him but it did lead to a shotty product without him.
      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

the battles seems really frikken cool. and the nuke was superb.

i'm a little confused, were ALL of the civilizations controlled by one human player presenting it? because i swear they go from German units to Russian units, and make them attack eachother.

and the german units didnt attack, they just stood there and took the beating for a while.

looks great. can't wait to support the genius behind civ. too bad he didnt work on 3
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by UberKruX
          i'm a little confused, were ALL of the civilizations controlled by one human player presenting it? because i swear they go from German units to Russian units, and make them attack eachother.
          I think that is how they set it up. It appeared to be a presentation piece and not actually the game. Because, yes it did seem as if he was controlling multiple civs and multiple time periods simultaneously.
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem

I think that is how they set it up. It appeared to be a presentation piece and not actually the game. Because, yes it did seem as if he was controlling multiple civs and multiple time periods simultaneously.
            ok, as long as im not insane.
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Hi guys! A couple clarifications--

* No, Rise of Nations does NOT use the Age engine. It is a 3D engine developed in-house by Big Huge Games. Some people have commented on some similarities of interface, which mostly occurred from a point of view of "Age is an MS RTS game, we're an MS RTS game, shouldn't we have a similar interface?" But at least on the visual side we'll probably move a little further from that paradigm before we're done.

* Yes, the "E3 Demo Scenario" you saw is a presentation piece where the strategic AI isn't active for any of the players (just the lower level AI for things like flying around in an airplane, deciding what to fire at, and so forth). So the demo-er can just click on any race and take control of it. Interestingly, though, for solo play we do feature some "sandbox" options where you are allowed to control more than one of the nations (one, some, all, anywhere in between) and be able to switch back and forth.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Reynolds
                Hi guys! A couple clarifications--

* No, Rise of Nations does NOT use the Age engine. It is a 3D engine developed in-house by Big Huge Games. Some people have commented on some similarities of interface, which mostly occurred from a point of view of "Age is an MS RTS game, we're an MS RTS game, shouldn't we have a similar interface?" But at least on the visual side we'll probably move a little further from that paradigm before we're done.

* Yes, the "E3 Demo Scenario" you saw is a presentation piece where the strategic AI isn't active for any of the players (just the lower level AI for things like flying around in an airplane, deciding what to fire at, and so forth). So the demo-er can just click on any race and take control of it. Interestingly, though, for solo play we do feature some "sandbox" options where you are allowed to control more than one of the nations (one, some, all, anywhere in between) and be able to switch back and forth.

Brian
                you know you want to leak out an "Uber KruX Demo Scenario"

Comment

Yeah, it looks really nice, and fun too. And it will have much more tactical depth than Age of Kings. (IMO AoK rewards the Henri Fords out there, not the Erwin Rommels.) I'm not sure it's gonna have more tactical depth than Starcraft though. Too bad those fancy graphics won't run on my Toshiba laptop.
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                    Maybe its just me. I just cant't see anything in RTS. Gettyburg was okay cause you could slow it down and pause it and that would allow you to get some enjoyment out of it. EU was like that too.
                    I tried AoE and AoK. I don't like them much, but it's not because there's no pause button. There's a pause button in AoK. Starcraft, on the other hand, is more fun IMO, it has more tactical depth than AoK. And I tried it in MP. It makes a huge difference. There's no pause button in Starcraft, but you can change the game speed.
                    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I've never much liked RTS, besides for Starcraft. Starcraft lacked some things others did, but it provided fast, fun, and balanced gameplay. The problem with RTS in my opinion is you can't actually get a whole lot of stategy in, it is usually just about controlling the most, and getting the biggest army to overwhelm your enemy. Its simply too fast paced to try and get balanced forces or try out interesting strategys. So that most "strategys" just revovle around getting something the fastest, rather then the long drawn out ones of turn based games.

Still, among other strategy games RON looks pretty good, i'll give it a go once it comes out and see how it is. The way combat is done looks interesting, hopefully it'll be easy to control.
                      "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Reynolds
                        Interestingly, though, for solo play we do feature some "sandbox" options where you are allowed to control more than one of the nations (one, some, all, anywhere in between) and be able to switch back and forth.
                        I’m surprised and glad BHG is planning a sandbox feature for RoN. Before the advent of computer games I would often play historical boardgames solitaire, pitting strategy against strategy, plan against plan just to see what would develop with no deep allegiance attached to any side. This sandbox setting may allow me to enjoy that type of experience once again.

Also, not being so quick-reflexed or competitive as many others, part of my fun in games derives from just building stuff and creating a spectacle. Playing multiple sides may allow one to engineer various international situations in ways more immediately rewarding than using an editor. With so many options for game set-up, we can play RoN as “Apocalypse of Nations,” “Toying with History,” or anything in between. Thank-you, BHG.
                        Rohag's RoN & Etc. Pages

Comment

Working...
                        X