No announcement yet.

Opinion of RoN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a very well done game; kudos to the developers.
    I highly reccomend buying Rise of Nations.
    I buy no more than one game per year, so you can imagine my standards.

Comment

Just picked it up and think its a preetty good game to my surprise.

The pause function is definitely the clincher for an old TBS'er like myself.
      "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Jac de Molay
        The pause function is definitely the clincher for an old TBS'er like myself.
        Yeah - love the pause

Little hint:
        First thing I did after installing the game was to relocate my pause key on the keyboard to "<" button - this way it's much easier for me to pause the game. (Don't have to stress my left hand all over the keyborad to "pause" key)

Comment

As an old civ3 player, I enjoyed RoN (my first RTS) alot for over 4 months. Since then, it has become sort of "empty" to me. No sense of fulfillment after a 1-1/2 hour (6-8 hours of MY time with pauses) game. For me the pace through the ages is still too fast, even on the slowest tech settings. I may get back to it sometime.

Comment

You can always mod the game to take longer time to finish... My last game took 11 hours witout counting pause
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeje2
              Little hint:
              First thing I did after installing the game was to relocate my pause key on the keyboard to "<" button - this way it's much easier for me to pause the game. (Don't have to stress my left hand all over the keyborad to "pause" key)
              (smacks forehead) Duh! My hand is getting cramped from hovering over the "P" key. I think it's time for a remap.

Comment

u want my opinion

it honestly sucks.

The gameplay is identicle to all the age of games and the graphics are ordinary. The only thing that would have made it worthwhile, the "conquer the world" option seems to be a dumbed down version of risk except even dumber. I only boaght the game because i kept on reading about how its designer was influential in creating Alpha Centauri and Civ 2. Now it turns out all he did was make the tech trees.

Gameplay - 3/10
                Graphics - 6/10
                Originality - 1/10 (cause they fooled me)
                Money wasted - $89 (my fault)

Thats my rant, so mneh!

Comment

Its no game of Thief, but it is fun.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

As a TBS gamer, Rise of Nations is far and away the best RTS I've played. It does lose some of its charm in the late game (after the thrill of nuking wears off), but most RTS games suffer from this.

The team has done a great job of creating a game that should cater to most strategy gamers out there. It can be played fast and crazy, or slow and deliberate.

I'm looking forward to the balance fixes in the new patch. (even though the Civs seemed pretty balanced to me to begin with)

Comment

gameplay 10
                      AI 10
                      graphics 8
                      stability 6

Comment

This thread highlights a serious problem for RON.

If you're a TBS player and a fan of CIV, you will NOT like RON. It IS an RTS game and compared to CIV it IS a click fest.

Don't let anyone kid you. If you don't like Age games, you won't like RON.

If, on the other hand, you're an RTS fan (like me), RON is too slow and CIV-like. Age of Empires, EE, and Empires float my boat.

RON is a good game and I'm glad I bought it but it doesn't hold my attention like faster RTS games. Plus there's never anyone on line with the patch 3 beta.

For you TBS guys looking for something different, I recommend Paradox games, like EU II, HOI, the just released Victoria, and the soon to be released Crusader Kings.

While they're RTS games (or time moving) they are far less hectic than most RTS games (including RON), and game mechanics are quit simple (like CIV). They are also deep and complex games, deeper than CIV by a large margin.

Plus Paradox support is top-notch.

Comment

Originally posted by cost

If you're a TBS player and a fan of CIV, you will NOT like RON. It IS an RTS game and compared to CIV it IS a click fest.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I'm a huge Civ/SMAC fan and I also love Rise of Nations. I also don't really like the Age games. (I played them for a short time, but quickly grew bored with them.

Your post is just your opinion, and is no way the truth of the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by cost

You can't know this unless you're a big fan of TBS games... and since you're not, you can't know about it...

If the game is unmodded, then yes, it's a click fest... but if it's modded it's not a click-fest (If modded right that is )
                            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Of course it’s my opinion—goes without saying.

I like fast-paced RTS games—RON is too slow for me. That’s my taste.

My friends who like TBS games find it too fast and too hectic. TBS players who hate RTS should know this

RON has a problem: It’s too hectic for (some/many) TBS players, and too slow for (some/many) RTS players. It’s neither fish nor fowl.

RON is a good game. What finished it for me was not being able to find anyone to play. My LAN friends all quit playing long ago and there’s never anyone online—no one.

By the way, does anyone use Yahoo’s games on demand? It’s a great way to sample a lot of games. It’s like a video store. There’s never first-run, or hot games, usually older games or games that fell flat. But some good ones, like Kohan and Commandos 2.

RON is there now. No Blizzard games are there or AOM.

Uh oh…

Comment

Is it anything like Cossacks
                                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Working...
                                X