No announcement yet.

RON Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That game looks more similar to the graphics of Warcraft III than anything else... but those screenshots are ellusive as they were all apparently taken in the cinematics display.

Comment

Seems to me to be more like Age of Mthology really, what with all those activated abilities and all.

Comment

Well if it's comming out shortly after RoN that would mean it had to go into production shortly after RoN did, and nobody probably knew what RoN was when it went into production, so it's certainly not an RoN clone.
        "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
        - UberKruX

Comment

Re: RON Clone

Originally posted by MattH
          I just got my August CGW issue, and I noticed something odd in the reviews. It was an ad with the text

(no game was mentioned). I turned the page:

I'm starting to think "Ok, an ad for RON". A couple pages later, I read that this is a new game from "the lead designer of Age of Empires and Empire Earth" and with the description "From the Middle Ages to WWII, command the deepest RTS in history".

Is it just me, or does that sound like a total rip-off? Someone should tell Rick Goodman he's too late
          That's bull. Empires: Dawn of the new world is just the successor to Empire Earth, which was released two years ago.

The plans to release a "Empire Earth II" were supposdly already there when EE came out.

So if there is a rip-off here, it's RoN. (from EE).

However, RoN contains certain features which make it quite original, so I personally don't see it as a ripoff.
          Beep...beep...beep.

Comment

yes well its pointless who is cloning who or ripping off whoever. All RTS is a clone or ripp off Dune 2, and even that is a rip off of other less known and less popular RTS. and RTS genre is a rip off of, older semi real time PC games. The CTW in RON and stuff like Total War is exactly the same idea and gameplay as this really old PC game I played almost 20 years ago called Centurion. and that game has a more sophisticated diplomacy then RoN has or even alot of TBS (it had like almost a roleplaying conversational style diplomacy). PLus it had attack formations, attack maneuvers and the battle part of it was real time.
            Are you down with ODV?

Comment

From what Ive read, the new EE will be more like Warcraft3 in that it has a dumbed down economic system (they removed a resource-metal), and every unit has special abilities to micro.

It's almost certainly an attempt to cash in on Warcraft3's immensely popular model. For experienced gamers it may seem like yet another step backwards for RTS.

Comment

Actually, Pacman is a much better game...
                First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

"War is exactly the same idea and gameplay as this really old PC game I played almost 20 years ago called Centurion. and that game has a more sophisticated diplomacy then RoN has or even alot of TBS (it had like almost a roleplaying conversational style diplomacy"

You just reminds me of Centurion. It's only needs only 2 disks then and runs very well on my 286.

Games nowadays runs on 2 Gi computer and gameplay is still the same.

Sad

Comment

hi,

My old Apple from around 1987 had this cool game called something like Global Conquest or Strategic Command or something like that that was really similar indeed. It's just the graphics are better now.

The only really new thing with RoN is the border concept and that you can win a conflict without committing genocide. Oh, and the hotkeys for almost everything (except merchants, fisherman, towers, and forts).

Where RoN lacks is in the senario department. In Age of Empires you can create goals by placing flags on targets or capture and hold enough relics... all in a graphical interface. But there is nothing like this in RoN... all that can really be done is make a map and share.

Sure RoN is a nice game but throw in a goal oriented scenario maker and we'll have a great game that would be a 1000 times more playable as you could download the different scenarios. Then you might play the game for a year, like I did AoE CivI and CivII, and get your monies worth. But I would not put RoN into this category.

dutcheese

Comment

Hi, dutcheese

In spite of that, are you planning on writing any scripts for Ron?

Peter

Comment

hi Peter,

yep, i guess so... i really like a game i can tinker with. sometimes i tinker more than play and my wife calls me crazy.

i've got something in the works that should be out shortly. most likey a basic release at first with an expansion later depending on the reviews.

dutcheese

Comment

Working...
                        X