• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts Upon Attacking...

This is the process that I use when attacking:

----------

Hotkey One: First Infantry;

In this group I get together a good balance of all the Barracks units. In the older ages (pre-Industrial) I tend to get a mix of all types (with a little emphasis on Heavy Infantry, but definately not a overbalance) but as the game progresses and unit lines merge I try to get more and more of the base infantry (either Riflemen/Infantry/AssaultInf).

The anti-tank and machine guns are also present in my later armies (depending on how much my opponent uses of each type of unit [if he counter's with Inf, I get more MGs, if he sends Tanks, more Anti-tank guns/missiles, if they dont use tanks or inf alot, I'll either mix these two or ignore them).

If possible I try to get a few generals with the 1st Inf. The entrench ability is awesome and if you can reduce the city, sac it, and then entrench your troops around it you might as well call it yours. Nothing short of a nuke is going to take it.

I try to have a few Supply Wagons/Trucks with the Infantry also (because if Infantry tends to be in the middle of the action, and if the Supply train is with them they are in the middle too, the best place for them). Fewer supply trucks are needed as the game progresses because attrition is not really a threat to the large HP counts of modern units.

When actually attacking I leave the Infantry back until the city is reduced (either on hold ground or guarding the artillery or supply trucks). When the city is down I send them on an attack mission across the city (so they can block enemy counterattacks and pickoff the Citizens and Schlors. Once in position to defend your new city from counterstrikes, entrench, and enjoy.

Infantry is the most important of your troops and they are very easy to kill compared to the Armored units so always have alot of these guys. Terra Cotta army is of course recemended as it can REALLY get massed infantry for free while you can concentrate on the heavier (but by no means more imporant) troops.

Hotkey Two: Second Cavalry/Armor;

This is the heavier fighting force that will protect, support, flank, and screen for your Infantry. While in the older ages this group of units may be smaller than the Infantry (or even unnessicary) in the later times it becomes crucial to your chances of taking that city (you may notice I obsess over urban warfare, but I ask "Is there any other kind in RoN?"

But back to the subject. In the first few ages you have three types of Cav to choose: Heavy, Lite, Ranged. Ranged is unessacary in this context of conquest but of course are great for pure raids. I just use foot Archers for fire support in this kinda war because their cheaper and are protected by HeavyInf.

Lite I sometimes use (if they are going nuts on Lite Inf) or have Lite/Ranged Cav raids. But in this type of fight Heavy Horsemen shines. Almost my whole cav force is a Heavy Cav force early on. I use them in a wedge a use them to flank an enemy army (Alexander and the Companion style), either hitting the artillery or supply wagons or raping the enemy ranged infantry before turning to support my Inf. Just a small amount of heavy horsemen can swing a even or "your probably gonna lose" battle your way.

But in the post-Industrial age tanks start to rule. They kill everything. In the modern era I change the 2nd Armor to a force of an equal number of Tanks and Armored Cav (or equavilant) with a good amount of Helos and other units.

I agument this force for the following reasons: if they are having a large amount of Artillery I add more Armored Cars, if they are going either all Inf or all Tank I get more of my own Tanks (renember to be dynamic with your force composition in both inf and cav), and if they are going nuts for for air units I bring anti-airs along, and if they have a lot anti-air units/batteries I tend to leave the helos behind or go raiding with them (I go raiding with them anyways). I like Helos but don't love them because they tend to die really fast. Supply things can following these guys but you should be fine with just he Inf ones.

In combat I've already detailed my pre-Industrail tactics (does anyone notice how this game has two super-eras [pre- and post-industrial]). But here is armored warfare Sigma style... The force shall be sent in at the outset of combat, attacking to the position of enemy counterattack or enemy troops with the Infantry held back).

When the Infantry is sent forward position the armor to protect them, they are the lifeblood and the reason you shall capture the city. If they counterattack a massive flanking movement is always a good idea.

more later...
    "War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left."

Re: Thoughts Upon Attacking...

Don't forget to add some special forces/commandos later on.

Originally posted by Signa
    (does anyone notice how this game has two super-eras [pre- and post-industrial])
    Every game that deals with the whole history of mankind has that division as far as I know.

Comment

You use an equal number of tanks and armoured cars? That is very interesting, I'd like to know why. I always found Ranged Cav (and light cav) far far more useful than armoured cars. Ranged cav is great in the early game as they are fantastic for raiding, attacking and defense.

In an attack, I use them to defend my heavy calvary. They can punch a hole through a heavy infantry wall so my heavy cav can pure'e archers and siege without having to brave the pikes; afterwards, they can distract and take out any heavy infantry that comes after my heavy cav.

Their speed and range allows me to kill support units very quickly, be they generals, spies, wagons, or scouts.

(Question about Nubian light cav. It's faster and has a bonus against light infantry, but does it have these bonuses after gunpowder? the mention about light infantry drops in unit description).

I don't use light cav very much... I build them if I have some extra food and want to build my force faster for quick attack.

After they turn into armored cars, though, their usefulness wanes. Tanks are much tougher and stronger, are almost as fast, and have good range. Plus, armoured cars only get bonuses against machine guns and flamethrowers, and I hardly ever see many of those on the battlefield. Maybe someone can enlighten me to the danger posed by these units? I use a couple of flamethrowers occasionally to shut that annoying lingering tower up, but that is it. Machine guns are too slow, so I only use a handful to garrison buildings.

... anyway, back to the subject. Armoured cars use food and oil.... the food I want for infantry, the oil is much better used for tanks; the only thing ever stopping me from building more tanks is lack of oil. If I have to use oil for something other than tanks, it will be for my airforce. I like tanks.

So how do YOU use armoured cars?

~deadfuse

sorry about the disjointed nature of this post; i'm a little... uh.... add right now

Comment

Armored Cars: good at killing MGs, and excellent for pulling off raids within enemy territory. There's nothing like them for doing drive-bys on citizens working in the fields and mines. They can get in and out quickly without taking too much damage, and packs of them can take out certain buildings fairly well (AA guns, for example ) They also can be used to flank the enemy fairly decently

MGs: Get a few MGs and space them along your borders. Use a general to entrench them. They'll keep out the computer's ever-roving scouts, and will be a great alert against invasions. Deploy them just behind your main lines as backup in case you're routed.
        Last edited by Mahdimael; June 12, 2003, 15:26.
        ----
        "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

They are fast and good raiders (if the enemy air d is so tough that I cant raid with helos [my favorite thing to do]). I guess my statement of a 1-1 ratio of Tanks to ArmoredCavs was wrong, I definately bring along more tanks on a conquest style attack but still try to have a few Cavs around in any armor force because Cavs can quickly flank or get the enemy Howitzers/MLRSs (and those are now major threats, way more than pre-Industrial artillery).

I tend to have two armies (not hotkeys). One for raid (in the olden ages its made up of Lite Cav and Ranged Cav) and one for "real" fighting (either defending a full on invasion or invading myself). In the olden ages I keep them seperate but in post-Industrial I still have the seperate armies (ie raid [now made up of Armored Cars and some Helos if possible] / real) BUT now when I fight with the real army I use the raid army with it moreso than before. But when raiding they still go it alone.

What my hotkeys are usually:

REAL ARMY
          1 Infantry
          2 Armor/Cavalry
          3 Artillery

RAID ARMY
          4 Land Units (Horse Units, Armored Cars)
          5 Helos

RESERVES (defensive forces, navies, etc

AEROSPACE FORCE
          9 Air Force (bombers)
          0 Air Force (fighters)

The function keys I use for production facilites, airbases that I might need to scramble, and cities.

O and BTW when I said "Upon Attacking" I ment like "Im invading and trying to capture a city" style attack, not a raid to disrupt his economy. More on that later...

O and on MGs. They are good on defense. Get together some bazookas, MGS, and Anti-Airs, entrench or garrison them at a choke point near a Fortress and you can seriously damage or destroy an enemy attack. Yet again, more on that later...

Comment

Early ages:

I'll go with a 3:1 ratio of light inf/heavy inf. For cavalry I'll usually just go heavy cav, sometimes I go light, sometimes I mix it up with ranged. Of course, I bring in Commando/Scouts in case of spies.

I don't attack until Gunpowder. At that time, the role of light inf changes a bit.

One time I massed samurai, and they all died... which is why I think heavy inf are less important in this game.

Modern ages:

Infantry is a popurri... I got all types of infantry. Mainly light inf, because they're necessary to capture cities. Couple MGs and a couple ATs, and a couple Special Forces round out the group.

For Cav, pure tanks. I fail to see the usefulness of Armored Cars. Against MGs, Tanks are good enough, and I don't really care for Flamethrowers.

Control Groups

1: Infantry
            2: Cavalry
            3: Supply Wagons
            4: Artillery
            5: Scouts
            6: Helis

It's utterly important to ALWAYS have a general in your force (I usually have 2 generals). the base of +2 armor helps soooo much... and if you upgrade it, you have possibly +6? That makes a huge difference. I keep forgetting to assassinate generals... =\

Comment

Ok continueing on with my personal attack strategy...

----------

Hotkey Three: Third Artillery;

Deployment and force structure is not as important (or should I say difficult or complicated) with artillery so this article obviously will not be as long.

With this group I get together a pack of the best artillery of the day. The amount, not alot. Artillery is expensive and really only good to go after enemy defensive structures. It depends on how many static defenses your opponent has, but if they are loaded up on Fortresses try to have about eight. If not, about four.

In combat after you send in your armor forces target in this order enemy structures: Fortress, Bunker, SAMs (if you are using helos or aircraft at all, the city itself, and then production facilities that you DID NOT get when the city flipped to your side (obviously when the city is reduce that is high time to invade with your infantry or whole army.

After all enemy structures are santized from around your new city use the Artillery to support your army in an enemy counter-attack. Put you artillery as far forward and as close to anything it can hit. Deployments take a lot of time (not so much with Industrial stuff but the others are horrible).

Try to use the Artillery in an actual fight to assassinate enemy important units (ie Supply Truck/Wagons, Generals, and there Artillery if it is dumb enough to get in your range).

Be careful to preserve things like Wonders and structures that will help make your new city economically viable. If your attack route will force to into running into a Wonder while it is still not reduced / neutral, be careful. Micromanage the arty and perhaps change your angle of attack with the army.

Hotkey Ten; Tenth Air Force

First build an Airbase on your border, hopefully where enemies won't kill it or where it might accidenetally get sucked into enemy territory and die of attrition. Load it up with 10 Biplanes/Fighters/JetFighter/StealthFighters. These are your trump card. Send them on a air mission right in front of your troops.

They will do two things: dominate air 2 air combat over your troops (so enemy air power won't be able to hurt your guys) and give fire support. The fire support is crucial. Assassination of important enemy units (just like with Artillery) is advised.

If your enemy however has prepare adequate air defense then your play is Artillery. Use them to quickly take down enemy SAMs and mobile SAMs. Don't send these in till you can be reasonably sure of the safe passage in the skies.

If you feel you need more air units don't hesistate to get as many fighters in as many Airbases as you want, but renember those cost (the aircraft) money that could go to other projects. Ten is just a good number overall.

One of the first things you should do after your city is capture is build another Airbase in the new city and transfer the Fighter Wing forward to cut down on re-fueling down times. This helps in both defense and allows you to keep your offensive going while he is still unbalanced without a large loss of firepower.

Other stuff:

Having a pack of Citizens with your army ready to rush in and repair the city center once it is being assimilated is always a good idea. Gives them the added pressure of having to damage the city (to get it back) and fight your army, which is basically just like an offensive invasion only with less time and assets to prepare and do it.

Other units of course ("strategic assets") may support.

Bombers can be used to support the Artillery in hitting enemy static defenses and the city center (if there is no air defense, or if you got stealth just go strait in). Perhaps a strategy could develop where arty goes for the air d, then the bombers and arty can go to town on the other stuff.

Carriers can be used just like airbases only floating and mobile. You need more Anti-Airs if you use a Carrier for support becuase Fighter-Bombers are not that great fighting land based fighters. Battleships can support any sort of actions that are close to shore, serving in a artillery role just like the land Artillery and Bombers.

----------

*whew* thats a lot... break time BTW im done with independent writing in this section but I'm gonna write more on raiding and other aspects of warfare in RoN later

Comment

Re: Thoughts Upon Attacking...

Originally posted by Signa
                (does anyone notice how this game has two super-eras [pre- and post-industrial]).

History is like that. "Industrialization" is a major mile stone for civilizations (back in the late nineteen century) and it really changed the dynamic of human warfare and civil society.

It's only natural that RoN reflects that kind of historical element. Industrialized nations are much more powerful than non-industrialized nations. The jump from enlightenment to industrial is much more important then, say, from ancient to classical or classical to medieval.

- PTM

Comment

Re: Re: Thoughts Upon Attacking...

Originally posted by PTM

The jump from enlightenment to industrial is much more important then, say, from ancient to classical or classical to medieval.

- PTM
                  Tell that to the Roman empie

Comment

Yes I've noticed a big difference between pre/post modern.

During pre-modern I hold my own
                    Post moder my butox gets kicked.

I just can't seem to contol the oil
                    If it ain't broke, find a bigger hammer.

Comment

I generally build a tower and an AA gun for some light protection near my "at-risk" oil rigs. At sea, I try to keep a couple subs near them.

Also- Armored Cars provide one invaluable service- they can delay an enemy that's marching on your cities. I keep a small group of armored cars in various places to act as "quick response" teams. Team them up with some air power and you can keep the enemy at bay for a while until your heavier units arrive.
                      ----
                      "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Thoughts Upon Attacking...

Originally posted by Laughing Mind

Tell that to the Roman empie
                        Touché.

- PTM

Comment

Working...
                        X