Flanking damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flanking damage

When attacking enemies from the right or left sides or the rear it does extra damage, right? Do they both do the same amount of increased damage? Didn't find anything about it, and I can't think of a way to test it out.

side 100%, rear 50%, or the other way around, though i believe i am correct.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

You are correct. Well, at least I know flanking does more.

Comment

ok thx. Sure it isn't the other way around?

Comment

It would seem more logical that it be the other way round, but I'm taking Uber's and Anun's word for it.

/me makes mental note to protect his unit's flanks more than their backs in future.
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

if its the same as Gettysburg ( and the system worked great there ) then enfilading fire ( i.e. from the sides ) will do less damage than shooting into enemy units from behind.

is any one else finding it hard to keep track of flanking benefits in a battle? in gettysburg it was easy to keep your regiments all lined up and supporting each other but in RON, the blighters seem to like to fragment up into small groups.

Comment

Well, there's the daily messege in the game (or is it one of the pop-ups?) that states flanking does more.

But also, the recently published RoN guide by Brian Reynolds at the official site states exactly what Uber said.

Comment

heh that's fair enough. personally i'd rather be shot at from the side than from behind - so it would to me seem more logical to make that be more deadly than enfilading fire.

Comment

I don't know how logical it is, but flanking does more damage than back side. As explained by some, it's because it's easier for soldiers to turn around and return fire to their backs, than it is to return fire at flanks.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

As explained by some, it's because it's easier for soldiers to turn around and return fire to their backs, than it is to return fire at flanks.

-- I can see how that could make sense, but it also helps to counter the argument too. If you are shooting at the flanks of troops, then your target will be much smaller since they will be in a line. Therefore, how could they take MORE damage? Furthermore, if you were shooting at someone's backside, then you'd have far more easy targets to shoot at. And if they did turn around, then their backs would be to the enemy they were facing. It seems more logical to have a unit to be far more vulnerable from behind than the side as not every man in the unit is exposed to enemy fire from the side..... just the poor saps on the end...

Comment

Depends on formation. In line formation, you are correct. But in wedge or some other formations, that can also be seen in RoN, every guy might have his flank exposed.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The idea is that when attacking a flank, your entire force can direct its fire onto that flank while only the enemy unit on the flank can return the fire. It takes a while for the enemy formation to spin around into a new line which faces you so that it direct its full fire onto you. When being attacked from behind, the line can quickly turn around and direct its full firepower onto the attacker. Of course if there are enemy's attacking from both sides, then you are going to take the 50% damage for rear attack no matter which way you face.
                        Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

in gettysburg it was good as it was a damage and a morale thing. shooting into the enemy's flank really did them extra damage and reduced their morale but it was always worth the extra effort to move that unit into a position behind the enemy unit - that way you did a lot of extra damage to the unit but you really screwed up its morale.

Best bit I remember was if you could get 3 or 4 of your units surrounding the enemy unit & get in some good flanking fire, it's morale would plummit so much it would often surrender ( must have been french americans )

Comment

We have it on authority from our military historian (also from an officer in the Marines I've talked to) that fire from the flank (side) is much more disruptive than fire from the rear. That's why firing from the side gives a 100% bonus and from the rear only 50%.

Brian

Comment

So next time I want to backstab somebody in a FFA, I should actually move over a few steps and go for the ribs? Interesting bit of advice. Thanks!
                              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Working...
                              X