Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Powerful Mongol RUSH---FLUSH all over again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with this rush is that even if you manage to kill all the horse archers, you've spent resources to do so, and the nomads probably still took down several citizens before they died themselves. So your economy is hurting while his doesn't have a scratch.

Comment

I tried several approaches vs Mongols, but nearly all failed. You may have a chance with a fast heavy inf rush using romans(the gold u get, helps to build some archers, if the mongol manages to get clasiic + mili 2 + stable), but it's quiet easy to stop such a rush. So if he realises that u rush you'll be dead.
      Stopping a mongol rush simply costs too much res or forces you to make vey risky moves.

Comment

Originally posted by deadfuse
        The problem with this rush is that even if you manage to kill all the horse archers, you've spent resources to do so, and the nomads probably still took down several citizens before they died themselves. So your economy is hurting while his doesn't have a scratch.
        I've had Mongol rushers attack me, no dead civillians. Yes, they were a few yellow ones, but all my work slots refilled and the Mongol was out his free units. I really love making modern and rolling into the Mongol capitol to see so many auto plants and alot of horsemen archers for my troops to mow down. Most Mongol players I see fall in love with building stables to get the freebie units not realizing it doesn't upgrade past Enlightnment. With ramping most those stables are not worth the lumber used to construct them, so which economy was hurt most by this strategy
        "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

I would be really interested to know how you managed to fend the rush off with no losses while at the same time managing your economy. What was the composition of these mongol raids? When did they take place in the game?

I see a damn lot of noobs in recorded game that don't even realize you have to research military 2 to get the 3 raiders, and their "rush" takes place at like 9-10 minute mark. With just 4 cav archers. I can be attacking with a decent force by that time, and I'm no expert.

I guess the think making the Mongol raid not so bad is there aren't very many people capable of doing it right.

Comment

The last one I fended off was 6 raiders. It was on the Med map and I had a garrisoned tower. A garrisoned Mayan tower will kill off one raider every 3 seconds or so. Once the raid started I built 2 light horse which rode down the raiders from flank. Since Mayan towers are 50% stronger than normal it would have taken another 3 horse archers to take it down. I think the main thing to remeber is that you think you have a rusher, you start building away from the direction he is. I see so many players set their scout to auto-explore, while I run mine straight to the probable start area on the enemy to see who he is.

Beating back the rush isn't hard, but I see so many players that play like it is a "no rush " game and scream for help in the ally chat when it happens. When you neglect to even put up a tower or build a stable, your gonna get creamed by the rusher.
            "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Ah yes, the Maya, a truly wonderful civ ... a fully garrisoned fort fires so fast the sound melds into a continuous thrum.

I've been using the British a lot recently, as well. They are an extremely flexible civ.

The extra range forts and towers provide some bonus to defense, and the auto-upgrading archers that liquify heavy infantry are very useful as well.

The increased commerce cap is just nuts, granting me an economic lead that grows wider and wider as the game goes on. Double taxation makes sure I have as much wealth as I need.

On water maps, I get faster ship production so I can respond to any threats quickly. Same thing if the opponent manages to wrest air superiority from me. Cheap AA solves that in a hurry.

Comment

A good rusher won't be so nice to attack ur tower or stay near it and if you build only 2 light cav, you will have a problem because the mongol rusher has at least 2 light cav too.

Comment

How are you gonna stop it with jst one tower if you have 2 cities? If you dont get the 2nd city, your screwed anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Grond
                    Military 2 requires a lot of metal. The smal town start on slow and expensive doesn't have enough metal to upgrade to military 2 without building a mine and you have to get to classical before you can make the mine. Maybe your talking about regular, the game is much better on slow and expensive in my opinion.
                    If you research military 2 before you get to classical, it doesnt cost metal. The metal is substitued for timber at a 5:4 rate.

Comment

Is a pike rush faster then a mongol cav archer rush? perhaps one can try to rush before a mongol player has built stables? I'll try it myself versus mongol AI rusher.
                      Pain is of no subsequence to me, for you cannot kill what cannot bleed!

Comment

Problem with a Pike rush, if your opponent already has Military 1 and is any good, he can crush it. As a mongol player, they WILL have Military 1 by the time you hit their territory. It will be a simple matter to build a rax and make a few archers to kill you. It its Classical, they can build stables and get free cav archers which will decimate your pikes even more.

Comment

Working...
                        X