Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved civ2 & moo2, love civ3, MUST I buy Moo3 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galciv turns out not to be "everything we wished MOO3 could be and is not." It too is a new program that will continue to modify and improve over the next year, according to Stardock. Right now it has teething problems that you can read about on the galciv forums, with the usual download and installation problems attending a new program.

Documentation is too sparse and there are no help files in the program, no encyclopaedia. After three evenings with the game, going through the manual three times as well, I still can not launch a colony ship after I have built one. There are other forum complaints from newbies about this obscurity as well.

Well, it is a little embarrassing to admit, but being experienced with MOO2 and MOO3 I find that I have hit the same sort of "learning cliff" with Galciv that I at first found in MOO3, at the moment centering around the simple matter of launching a colony ship. Sure the initial ships provided are sent off to do their thing with a simple right click of the mouse on a star, but the ones I build remain hidden and refuse to appear where I can launch them.

Other stuff, graphics are excellent, sound fx are very good, music is excellent. Galaxy presentation is very inferior to MOO2 or MOO3 IMHO. I do not care for the giant grape sized stars that are your nearby targets. I do find the large and somewhat crude looking ships attractive either.
    i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

Well GalCiv is definitely not the MoO 2,5 I and many others still want. But the starter of this thread said he likes Civ AND MoO2. So GalCiv, which combines some elements of both (albeit apparently more Civ than MoO), might be something he will really enjoy. Since I like Civ too I hope that I will enjoy it too. Still havent gotten it though, so no idea if its really as good as most reviews I have seen suggests. All seem to agree that the graphics stink, but I really could care less if the gameplay is good.

Lata
      Krait

Comment

Wilebill,
        Frankly I don't agree with you : GalCiv plays VERY easily ...
        I've read the (old version) online doc a few days ago and was able to start instantly... Not that I pretend to play well, but I manage to do what I want !

I was confused too with the Colony and other ships'launch, but I figured it in 2 minutes : the ships are created IN the systems, so you have to open the system "window" (click on it) to see the ships in the small lower right "stacked ships" window
        Then if you have a colony ship you have to adjust the number of transported colonist on a slider then click Launch button... It's not intuitive, admittedly

Comment

Thank you! So there is a slider and a Launch button in the process of creating a colony ship. I will try those out tonight.
          i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

Dont get MOO3, it is waste of your hard earned money. The computer controlls most of the things in the game, and if you tried to controll it all, the game would be 10 times worse. All the things you do feel as if they have no impact on the game. Wait for the Demo of GalCiv and try that out and see if you like it, and if you do get it. But stay away with any game with the Infogrames lable on it, the quality of their games goes down hill with every passing year.
            Donate to the American Red Cross.
            Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_www
              Wait for the Demo of GalCiv and try that out and see if you like it, and if you do get it. But stay away with any game with the Infogrames lable on it, the quality of their games goes down hill with every passing year.
              I thought Infogrames was involved in the Publishing of Galactic Civilizations, too
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

If that is true, I dont really want to think about that right now. Well at least Galciv will have a demo, so at least you can try it out before you get it.
                Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

I thought Infogrames was involved in the Publishing of Galactic Civilizations, too
                  I just checked, Galactic Civilizations is published by STRATEGY FIRST, thankfully.

Comment

Before purchasing moo3 borrow it from someone or download it.

whether or not you liked civ1, civ2, moo1, or moo2 really doesn't matter. This is a different game, with different concepts. Some people like it, some people don't.

"no one can be told what moo3 is" seems pretty accurate to me.
                    By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_www

I just checked, Galactic Civilizations is published by STRATEGY FIRST, thankfully.
                      Distributed by Infogrames (looking at the manual right now).

Unlike MoO3 however, GalCiv is good. I even got attacked AND lost to an AI ground invasion! Can't beat that with a stick.
                      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

If the only weapons you had were sticks, no wonder you lost!

*rimshot*

Wocka wocka wocka!
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Use a p2p program, much cheaper
                          Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

Working...
                          X