No announcement yet.

uck.. diplomacy sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I got SE4 Gold I was extremely impressed and I couldn't get enough of it. I happily played and tweaked races, and tried expansion and tech plans. The shine wore off, though, when I realized that a single expansion/defensive plan seemed to work every time and that many of the racial picks either didn't really matter or seemed to be unbalanced (like Organic). In short, the game became linear and it became boring for me.

Moo3 has been different. There was no instant love but a growing admiration. Even with its flaws it does have depth and I like that. I am coming to understand that there are varying levels of play from 1) just hit the turn button and slip into your own private coma to 2) micromanage everything and have each turn take an hour - and which you choose is the Emperor’s choice (as it should be). Then there are actual tactics (strategic and tactical), and real economic strategy. The racial picks do seem to matter, too.

At this point Moo3 is in the 'like' category for me. I hope it goes to 'really like' when the patch(s) come out, and maybe something more. The jury is still out and it likely will be for the next month or so.

Comment

I'm curious as to why QS chose the email effect for diplomacy. I much prefer the previous instant communication system.
      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

I like that system better, too. It also allowed multiple communications in the same turn instead of sending one per turn per empire.

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro
          SE4 has this nasty hard-wired ‘feature’ where if you get too powerful everyone declares war on you, regardless of past history and previous alliances.
          It's the 'MegaEvilEmpire' field in a text file. Change the value from true to false and this won't happen. Can't remember the name of the file, but it's a text file.
          - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
          - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
          - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by darcy

Could you tell me where? I've been looking for it in vain. In one game my closest ally had a NA pact with my mortal enemy, and I was unable to make him cancel it. I tried it with "Fulfill Obligations", but that seemed to be something completely different.
            In the exchange/demand items list, the stuff below the techs should include signing treaties or declaring war with third parties. I don't know the criteria for them appearing because I've ignored them so far.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo
              I'm curious as to why QS chose the email effect for diplomacy. I much prefer the previous instant communication system.
              I can only assume its partly for the multiplayer game (you don't have to drop what you are doing when someone calls, you can read it if and when it suits you) and partly a nod toward the vast distances involved. That a message from further across the galaxy takes a little longer to arrive is a nice touch imo.
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
              X