Sounding the death knell for TBS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounding the death knell for TBS?

Some of you might know me from the Civ3 forums, and those that do will know I am an absolute TBS fanatic. My first obsession was Civilization, and I loved both sequels (but not SMAC) and the previous two MOO games. I've loved Warlords, played the HOMM series. Jagged Alliance was maybe one of the greatest games I've ever played. I'm a strategy gamer at heart and I like taking the time to plan my moves.

Clearly many MOO fans are dissapointed with the game. The first hints of trouble came when the betatesters reacted in horror to the initial public betas. The reaction from the TBS community has been at best mixed. Here at Apolyton, Quicksilver has undoubtably one of their most receptive audiences. I, like many others on these forums was convinced that MOO3 was going to be the game we've all been waiting for. A revolutionary game to be remembered for years to come. That was the legacy of Master of Orion, and that is what was expected.

Perhaps we were all asking too much. Is it fair to hold MOO3 to such a high standard? The answer is... absolutely. If you are going to remake one of the greatest games of all time, then you should know going into the project that you are going to be judged on the games that came before. Clearly this game is nothing remotely resembling the classic we all demanded.

I have no real new complaints to bring up about the game. Most of what I would say has been said already in multiple threads. But I do have a pretty good answer to the question "What went wrong". MOO3 is a paradox. Overly-complex, yet dumbed down. It's almost as if this game has the illusion of complexity masquerading behind a newbie friendly interface.

It seems to me that MOO3 was designed to be the 4X game for the masses. Unfortunately, I don't see this game appealing to a broad range of gamers. Many pas MOO fans will buy this game, and I'm sure many will enjoy it. Thus far I am not one of them. I have discovered the outstanding Freelancer, which despite some flaws in game balance and replayability did not forget one thing that MOO3 has completely missed the mark on... fun.

I only hope that the inevitable commercial failure of this title does not frighten developers away from the TBS genre. I enjoy a game of Warcraft or Counterstrike as much as anyone... but these games never manage to capture the imagination like the original Civilization or Master of Orion.

Still waiting for the next great 4X TBS

Pete - Vancouver, Canada

I feel your pain... I've been a TBS fan since long before even MoO and Civ...

That said, I don't entirely share your view of doom and gloom. I think it's entirely possible, but for some odd reason I have some faith that this can be pulled through...

But we'll see. It wouldn't be the first time that publishing houses took COMPLETELY the wrong lesson from why a game did poorly or did well in sales.
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

I'll just continue to plunk my $50 down when TBSs come out. I don't think they'll go away but I don't think the volume of titles will increase either.

Comment

Well then you know that TBS has had its ups and downs. We had quite a long period were little of value came out. Then it was hot again and I suspect that will continue to cycle.
        In the end, you can not have a deep stratefy game without TBS. Contemplation requires time, that is not part of shooters or RTS. Some of the best games are RTS, but they are not deep strat games (Starcraft/Warcraft/C&C). They are more rush games.

Comment

Well, I fear that the posts on this board have thwarted me from buying MOO3.

However, I don't think TBS is dead . . . at least, not yet. We can still hope for good tidings in Galatic Civilizations.

Comment

Most polls on the infogrames forums have it even about there feeling's for MOO3 so its far from "everybody hates it", i personally think it will be very good after a few patches.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
              Well then you know that TBS has had its ups and downs. We had quite a long period were little of value came out. Then it was hot again and I suspect that will continue to cycle.
              In the end, you can not have a deep stratefy game without TBS. Contemplation requires time, that is not part of shooters or RTS. Some of the best games are RTS, but they are not deep strat games (Starcraft/Warcraft/C&C). They are more rush games.
              I think that RTS games require a different type of strategy.

A need to be able to assess immediate situations and make decisions accordingly.

In a way, I believe RTS games to be even more of a strategic challenge and test than TBS games.

Mainly because when an attack comes in from enemy forces, you have no choice but to assess the situation in a few seconds, make decisions on the best way to use your forces and act on them.

In TBS games, you can take your merry time to run all possible options through your head before hitting the turn button.

Neither is better or worse, just different.

Well, maybe TBS games do promote a deeper type of strategy simply because of the type of gameplay. If you can take hours to think about a move, then , yes you can have depth.

Although I must admit that the interface in RTS games really can inhibit your decisions. You may know that you have to do this this and this, but if you can't click fast enough, you're gone.
              While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

by the way VMX..thanks for all the help you gave me on MOO2, I really appreciate it!
                While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Well I'm frankly sad at all the half-finished games and half-assed efforts that are coming out. Maybe MOO3 is one of them, maybe not. But more often than not, game developers are being pressured to either tailor their game to mass-market appeal, or rush their games out the door before they are ready. Now MOO was probably not rushed, but other games certianly were.

Back to freelancer, what an absolutely amazing game. Unfortunately the multiplayer component was not balanced tested, and the game lacks depth. An example of a game rushed out before it was ready. It seems to me that only the huge franchise games are being given the amount of time needed to create a truly exceptional product. Warcraft 3 wasn't rushed, and it's an outstanding example of the genre. With the amount of man-hours going into games these days, it's almost impossible to not feel pressure to "just get it done". Game development is expensive, and piracy is rampant and destructive.

I would have been happy with MOO 2 1/2. Give me 2003 graphics, 3d combat, and updated diplomacy. I didn't want a whole new game with a 16-hour learning curve. I STILL PLAY MOO2! IT'S NOT BROKEN. JUST GIVE ME MORE OF WHAT I LOVE.

I don't know what this game is, but it's not Master of Orion. Sim-Empire maybe. God I was so optimistic. I really wanted to enjoy this game. I wanted another Master of Orion so badly. I don't think I've ever been as disapointed by a game in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
                    by the way VMX..thanks for all the help you gave me on MOO2, I really appreciate it!
                    Happy to do it.

Comment

All of this doom and gloom about the ended of TBS game is pure bull. This reminder of the vedio gamer saying the PC is dead as than gameing platform.

MOO3 is than breakthought game that is trying out new idear 's in computer gameing. As than other person said somewhere QS have no mind reading abilities on how to make than game which most people will love.
                      By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

the target for moo3 (set by IG and QS) is 500,000 sales. not to be "the tbs for the masses" (e.g. millions of sales)

btw, some people were screaming "disaster" when civ3 came out. then it passed the 1 million copies sold mark
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

MarkG,

That's a bit of a slanted view of what really happened doncha think? I frequented the Civ 3 boards as well as played the game when it came out (admittedly as a lurker). I got bored with Civ 3 long before the 1.21 patch came out....and Yin was quite right in his assessment of it's flaws.

The reason I am wondering if your memory is selective is because:

1. How long did it take Civ 3 to hit the 1 mil sales mark (hint: it took a long time)?

2. By the time it did hit that mark, Civ 3 was so discounted in retail that IG was actually taking a loss on each unit. We both know that Firaxis was rather displeased with Civ 3 as a whole.

3. Finally, I think even you would have to agree that PTW was an unmitigated (and thorougly deserved) disaster. What I find interesting is that many of the horrid reviews that PTW got actually revolve around the 1.29 version of Civ 3....not the PTW part itself.

The point I am making is that you should be careful when pulling out your Civ 3 comparisons...largely because IMHO the Moo crowd is a more rancorous and more finnicky lot. I also add that Moo three had a lot more Dev problems than Civ 3 and is grossly overdue and (probably) overbudget. That makes me less than optimistic that IG will patch this release in a serious way (i.e. I think IG will cut its losses). I might be wrong, but I doubt I am.

-Polaris

Edit: I also note in passing that Civ 3 had one major thing going for it that Moo 3 does not. FEEDBACK. Even that terrible first version of Civ 3 gave the user immediate feedback as to the status of his civilization and the manuals and in-game help, actually gave good information that allowed the user to adjust his game. In short Civ 3 was actually interesting to play (esp during the ancient period). I can not say the same for Moo III.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                            btw, some people were screaming "disaster" when civ3 came out. then it passed the 1 million copies sold mark
                            This is what Mark said, where is the slant?
                            Many were screaming, no fiction there.
                            It sold over a miilion, no slant there.
                            I am not sure what the amount of time has to do with it.
                            My guess is the parties involved will be happy if they have sold a million copies in the next 12-14 months.
                            I am not trying to correct your position, but you are misrepresenting what Mark said.
                            He did not even imply the Moo3 was any good in that post, nor that Civ3 was.
                            If you want to say Moo3 is not for you, no sweat.
                            Many of the Mo fans are also Civ fans, I see lots of names here that I see on that board.

Comment

Civ 3 was so discounted in retail
                              amazingly, amazon and EB sell it for $40
                              the 20$ classic civ3 offer that appeared the last 4-5 months is now gone(stock is out, only game of the year edition now)

I think even you would have to agree that PTW was an unmitigated (and thorougly deserved) disaster
                              still selling at $26-30

one wonders how horrible games stay at their original prices over 18 months after release....
                              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                              X