This game is crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This game is crap

And having read through some of the threads here and elsewhere (gamefaqs.com has some well written criticisms) I can see that I am not alone in this opinion.

The biggest flaw is not knowing what the game is doing. Ie if I do X then what happens and why does it happen. Or more commonly, "if I do X what the hell does it do??"

The manual is sorely lacking with no true explanation of the game mechanics.

The interface is horribly awkward and purpusefully difficult to navigate.

Graphics are sub-par for today's day and age.

Diplomacy is lacking.

The economic model is bizarre and incomprehensible.

It seems like this game made sense in some designer's twisted mind but it turned out to be a horribly mutated beast that makes no sense.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I did and I'm regretting it. I'm sick of forcing myself to like it. Thats just wrong.
    "Christ died for our sins. Dare we make his martyrdom meaningless by not committing them?"
    -- Jules Feiffer

Hm... I find MOO III to be a good and interesting consept. I love the fact that everything is not obvious during my first play. Figuring out how the universe works is fun for me. This isnt Playstation

All I need is a patch for the AI and PD weapons.

Comment

Yes, this game will infuriate many. It is a gutsy move by QS. I hope it pays off in the end for them. Of course, for that to happen it will have to pay off for the players first. Hint, hint, patch!
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I disagree.

MoO3 is the first game I have ever found where the game model is complete. There only problems I find with MoO3 are interface issues and documentation.

MoO3's AI is pretty amasing and it is so good a colonizing and building by worlds (if i provide some Development plans) that there is no need for my intervention :-) This is one thing I have never seen before and the one area that eventually forced me to leave Civ3
        insert some tag here

Comment

To each his own would be the operative term.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm sick of forcing myself to like it.
            i'm sick of forcing myself to do apolyton work instead of playing moo3
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              I'm sick of forcing myself to like it.
              i'm sick of forcing myself to do apolyton work instead of playing moo3
              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

This is the first game in along time that is breaking new ground here by doing something which no other game have done before. When the first personal computer came out there where teething problen as you where the first than mistake where make in manufactoring and in the Operation system of the first personal computer.
                By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

Somehow I just cannot take a person seriously if all he posts a thread to do, is whine.

I you have nothing to say, then don't say it

Asmodean
                  Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Illyrien
                    MoO3's AI is pretty amasing and it is so good a colonizing and building by worlds (if i provide some Development plans) that there is no need for my intervention :-) This is one thing I have never seen before and the one area that eventually forced me to leave Civ3
                    Yes the AI does a good job managing your empire, however does the enemy AI do a good job at attacking the human player? I have yet to see any evidence of this in my current game.
                    signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                      Yes, this game will infuriate many. It is a gutsy move by QS. I hope it pays off in the end for them. Of course, for that to happen it will have to pay off for the players first. Hint, hint, patch!
                      Ditto.

Comment

Whining

The complaints about the game are very similar by everyone that posts them.

Reaction from the masses to this "whining":

Shout, I love it. OK, fine.

Shout, they'll patch it and it'll be wonderous. However no one knows if it can be patched without breaking it or if they can afford to patch it. Also, considering the delay in releasing it how long will it take them to patch it?

Anyway, the original posts was directed at people who haven't bought it yet.

Unfortunatley, I wish I was one of them.

Comment

I think in all fairness the dealy did allow them to correct any possible bug that would cause the game to crash or lock up. I do not hear much about that issue.
                          The enjoyment factors is not something they could be sure of one way or the other. I mean as you can see many like it and many do not. Unless they were sitting there with feedback that said this part is no good and chose to not change it, what could they do? They could not read minds, especially since the minds had not even had the game to that point.
                          I would think they thought they had a game that people would recieve well, maybe they were wrong.
                          Maybe they will be able to correct enough to satisfy more people, that is to be seen.

Comment

The main thing was just the AI not being aggressive enough, which QS have said they toned it down for release. (Bad move from what i've seen, since they'd be getting better reviews if they hadn't). There are already mods out by people that boosts the AI and makes it more challenging, though some of it is hardcoded. The AI still doesn't invade with ground troops often, but it will field larger fleets/attack with those fleets more.

I'm currently testing a modified military AI, removed HFoG, and increased task force sizes mod. Once its ready i'll post it up in the creation forums. If you don't like the sound of it/want to wait try Colins mod or OrionDWs mod, Darkchampions worked fairly good if I remember right as well.

Also, i'm positive we'll see at least one patch from QS, as they've already started working on it. And the sales are probably looking pretty good right now judging from the amount of attention the game has gotten.

Note: All but one of these are on the IGMoO fan modification forums right now.
                            "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Originally posted by ChaotikVisions
                              The main thing was just the AI not being aggressive enough, which QS have said they toned it down for release. (Bad move from what i've seen, since they'd be getting better reviews if they hadn't). There are already mods out by people that boosts the AI and makes it more challenging, though some of it is hardcoded. The AI still doesn't invade with ground troops often, but it will field larger fleets/attack with those fleets more.

I'm currently testing a modified military AI, removed HFoG, and increased task force sizes mod. Once its ready i'll post it up in the creation forums. If you don't like the sound of it/want to wait try Colins mod or OrionDWs mod, Darkchampions worked fairly good if I remember right as well.

Also, i'm positive we'll see at least one patch from QS, as they've already started working on it. And the sales are probably looking pretty good right now judging from the amount of attention the game has gotten.

Note: All but one of these are on the IGMoO fan modification forums right now.
                              CV-

Great job so far, I use your HFoG mod, and like it quite a bit.

Its amazing how much of this game is contained in spreadsheets, easily modifiable (except for knowing exactly what each term means of course)

Comment

Working...
                              X