I was attacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was attacked

I'm only up to turn 143 on my first real game (lots of work and husbandly duties). But, I just got attacked by the Tachidi. It was a turkey shoot, they didn't stand a chance. 23 to my 60+

But, I've been reading that the AI won't attack out of their home systems. That's just not true.
    A dictatorship wouldn't be so bad. As long as I'm the dictator. G. W. Bush

I was attacked by the Silicoids in my 3rd game. They came at me VERY early in the game with several Destroyer-sized carriers and a TF of short-range beam frigates.

It was only the presence of planetary defenses and LOTS OF LUCK that prevented my third game from ending rather badly

I came back and taught them a lesson down the road when I conquered them (and every other civ on the board other than the Antarans), but they caught me with my pants down early in the game.

I've been very careful about defense ever since. That game I'd been going almost entirely for colony ships (and just building planetary defense as my defense).

Perhaps the AI looks at the # of ships you have deployed and uses it as a gauge for whether to attack you? I didn't have any warships at that point, only colony ships and scouts. I had plenty of planetary defense, but I assume the AI can't see that.
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

The AI can see your planetary defence, i am sure of that, and i am also sure that i can see it's Beam Bases or whatever.
      A button named System View, or something like that, is
      in the screen where you can choose your battle, so you can see in advance what defences exists in yhe system
      Last edited by Prothero; March 5, 2003, 09:34.

Comment

got the game today. currently playing my first game. had 2 races declare war and send ships to me attacking several times. not sure what people are talking about
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
          got the game today. currently playing my first game. had 2 races declare war and send ships to me attacking several times. not sure what people are talking about
          AMAZING 10000 people are saying that the A.I cant attack with a serious force or ever send ground troops but they are all lying.

Play 5 full games then tell me about great A.I fleet & land invasion's.
          Last edited by ashbery; March 5, 2003, 14:24.

Comment

With the exception of Mark, it always seems that settlers with less than 10 posts are the ones posting information that is contradicting the majority. suspicious to say the least...

Comment

Uhm. No one is saying that the AI doesn't attack. The complaint is that they do not conquer or invade, other than perhaps an outpost or new colony or two.

So they may indeed attack a lot, though they haven't yet in my games since buying MOO3 a couple days ago, but those attacks are pointless unless they carry the real threat of actually losing the game.

EDIT: To add that I do like the game so far, though I am still in the learning curve. I bought it knowing the issues already brought out thanks to the folks on this board. I think they are fixable.

But lets not call people liars for pointing out the AI agressiveness problem with invasions. That is a flaw that I think most all agree with.
              Last edited by Bill_in_PDX; March 5, 2003, 15:38.

Comment

But lets not call people liars
                indeed, lets not call people liars. or accuse people of calling other people liars....

Comment

I read the reference above incorrectly. Sorry about that, certainly a bad mistake.

I sure am glad there are friendly boards like this around where people exchange ideas without sarcasm... oh wait, I guess i found the wrong place.

Comment

Yes, I haven't seen the AI land and invade a planet (although I have admitedly not played past 100 turns in a single game) but they do attack with their fleets, and this can often be just as bad. In one of my games I had a huge farming planet that supplied nearly all of my empire with food. The AI came along and blew up the defending system ships, and blockaded it. All but three of my planets where thrown into starvation, and I didn't have the firepower to break the blockade. They essentially crippled me and left me to die a slow painful death.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The more things change....

I played my first game on Easy. I found a Splinter colony on turn 12, but did not have any defenses when a scout ship came around on turn 25. I restarted, and built 2 ships early to defend that system.

The scout was nowhere to been seen on turn 25.

It seems the AI, just like in Civ, can see your defenses. The Grendarl (who I am at war with - I'm Nommo - my ancestors exiled their ancestors to the surface; some bad blood there I guess) sent 1 ship to attack a relatively new splinter colony I found, but 2 ships of mine arrived there two turns before his. He couldn't turn them around in hyperspace, and the ship never had a chance.
                      One OS to rule them all,
                      One OS to find them,
                      One OS to bring them all
                      and in the darkness bind them.

Comment

In one of my games I had a huge farming planet that supplied nearly all of my empire with food
                        Eggs...basket....y'know the rest
                        One OS to rule them all,
                        One OS to find them,
                        One OS to bring them all
                        and in the darkness bind them.

Comment

Originally posted by justjake73

Eggs...basket....y'know the rest
                          I know, I know... But I always have a very difficult time finding suitable farming planets while playing as the Sakkra (who are poor bioharvesters to boot). My empire is usually starving by turn 60 and I can never find any way of feeding my people.

My most succesful attempt at feeding my people has been to subjugate and enslave other empires to do my farming for me, but the starvation usually kicks in before i can manage that.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

coming back to this.....

played more on the same game(now around turn 140). i've had the ai attacking and conquering a planet. i also had it attacking my homeworld. when i'm totally conquered(good god i'm loosing on easy level ) i'll let you know

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                              coming back to this.....

played more on the same game(now around turn 140). i've had the ai attacking and conquering a planet. i also had it attacking my homeworld. when i'm totally conquered(good god i'm loosing on easy level ) i'll let you know
                              I agree with you it too soon to say that the AI isnot attacking at all. Like the person who has his farming planet
                              blockada show that the AI is acting in a more intelligence way compare to game in the past. I than sorry you are loseing your game. I lost quite afew game in MOO before I brought the stragetic guide.
                              By the year 2100 AD over half of the world population will be follower of Islam.

Comment

Working...
                              X