Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAgnate Civs. Assimilation, conquest or ... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAgnate Civs. Assimilation, conquest or ... ?

How does one obtain control over planets with Magnate Civs ? (if at all...)

Colony ships seem to disappear (but maybe i should send enough to make the "original" race a minority ? in which case how many may that be ?)

If such worlds should be taken by force, how do i go about it ? I can't seem to get my ground troops to attack...

..or do you just grow to be a power in the vicinity (sector/system) and let them join in their own good time (sort of like Culture in Civ3) ?

Help appreciated.

Planets with Magnate Civs usualy are Yellow or Red for your Race.

If Landing with a Colony Ship on Yellow or Red Planets your have 0,5 of a Colony (Yellow) or 0,25 of a Colony (Red)
    It means you either have to use more Colony Ships to colonise the Planet (2 for Yellow, 4 for Red) to establish a Colony at once, or you have to wait a long time til your Outpost grows into a full Colony.

After you have successfully established a Colony there, the Magnate Civ becomes Part of your Empire and the other Race (for example Darlok) independently establishes Colonies of their own which will also belong to you.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Magnate civs are essential to a successful empire. You *want* them. All of them. Every magnate race has a sweet spot that will give you access to many more worlds than your original race can productively use.

Send an outpost to stake your claim to a magnate civ fast if they are likely to be snapped up by someone else. Then send colony ships or let the population grow slowly until it reaches 1,000.
      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
      H.Poincaré

Comment

In my opinion, send an outpost (minimum) or colony to (all) Magnet worlds. Then under the Planets tab set to Emigrate (if you look the world will be your color, but likely not a fully colony - the world is not capitalized). This will help them grow fast to a full colony status since emigration will be MUCH faster than natural growth of a tiny outpost world. Make sure you set Emigrate off when they get the magic "1" population so that the native population STAYS dominant.

My strategy (for what it’s worth)L: First build system ships for Green and maybe Yellow 1 worlds in your home system (if they're juicy). Then outposts for a bunch of magnet worlds, and maybe a colony for a great Green/Sweetspot. Early in the game I will build outposts for magnets before colony ships to make sure I get the magnet planets ASAP (a pop 6 or 7 world is better than a size one of my race; plus, they have vastly different environmental preferences and will naturally colonize worlds they like).

One nice note is that other races will emigrate to red or yellow if they like it better than your home race.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
          Magnate civs are essential to a successful empire. You *want* them. All of them. Every magnate race has a sweet spot that will give you access to many more worlds than your original race can productively use.

Send an outpost to stake your claim to a magnate civ fast if they are likely to be snapped up by someone else. Then send colony ships or let the population grow slowly until it reaches 1,000.
          I should add one thing.
          Even if you already have settlers on the Planet with a magnate Civ, but haven´t a full grown Colony yet, it may happen that another Races also sends Settlers to this Planet.

In this case all Settlers of the great Civilizations are added to determine if the outpost grows into a Colony and the Colony will belong to the Race with the highest Number of Settlers on the Planet.
          For Example you and the Nommo try to colonize the Planet. The Nommo have 0,4 Settlers on the Planet, you have 0,6 Settlers on the Planet. That means the Outpost will grow to a Colony within the next turn and the Colony will belong to you.

I have seen the AI using this tactic and I have used this tactic for myself.

It causes very interesting results.
          As I´ve written before, the magnate Civ will settle on other Planets on their own.
          The really interesting part is that, if you have settlers from another Race ón the Planet, they will also grow and establish Colonies on their own.

There was some case where I and the Nommo tried to establish a Colony on a World with the Darlok magnate Civ.
          I won the race and the Colony was mne.
          After several turns the Darloks established Colonies on other Gas Giants, as I had expected.
          I was really surprised when after several more turns there developed also Nommo Colonies with the colors of my empire.

Oh and don´t worry. If you try to establish a Colony on a world with a magnate Civ where another Race already tries to do the same thing, it won´t be seen as Casus belli by the other race, even if you eventually have more Settlers on the planet and therefore get the Planet for your empire.
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I have sent colony ships to a planet with a Magnate civ and it finally said I had established a colony there.

But the planet still doesn't show up in my Planets screen list for me to set the immigration level. What now?

Comment

Well, as is all too common in this day, the manual is nearly worthless. Yes, it tells you what you're looking at but does NOT tell how to use it. Not to mention the lack of scripted tutorial missions.
              :D

Comment

Originally posted by Xerxes2
                Well, as is all too common in this day, the manual is nearly worthless. Yes, it tells you what you're looking at but does NOT tell how to use it. Not to mention the lack of scripted tutorial missions.
                Worthless? Their completely different games! The manual doesn't cover the game on the cd and the game on the cd doesn't resemble the game in the manual.

Add to this the fact that the only entries in the encyclopedia are:

MOO3 = An abreviation for Master of Orion 3

and

Box = the cardboard shape the game disks came in

Heck, I knew those things already, I would hope there would be some entry in the encyclopedia that explained something somebody might have a question about.

Comment

Xerxes - To find any planet that have less than 1000 people (a full colony) go to Planets, then select Uncontrolled and all environment types. You will see planets on the left that have a white ring around them, indicating they have either a magnate or other race's partial colony. You will not know who's partial colony unless you check its color on the galactic map (not the location map in the Planets tab). I think if its your partial colony it will tell you the race that is colonizing it in the second from left column. If there are non-Magnet races on the planet you can Set Migration by going to the Orders tab at the bottom, and Set Migration (otherwise it will be ghosted). A small blue dot will appear on the planet when you have Set Migration, and also when you click on the Planet in the Galaxy Map. Now, your people will go happily go there. Well, almost. I've notice migration to Red and Yellow worlds is rather slow (50/turn), whereas better Green worlds colonize fast (250/turn). Again, this is race specific based on environmental preference.

Proteus - excellent point. Why not attempt to steal other races partially colonized planets! I tried this by accident, then stopped when I realized it was a nasty Sacra (who were at war with me). A few turns later the planet popped to a colony and now I wish I'd had a chance to get it first. Your trick is also nifty for those free colonizations of all others. Multiplayer's beware!! Hehehe.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                    I have sent colony ships to a planet with a Magnate civ and it finally said I had established a colony there.

But the planet still doesn't show up in my Planets screen list for me to set the immigration level. What now?
                    On the far right is the filter option 'Similar Type' or something which is the default. This means you will only see sweet spot and green planets. You need to deselect this to see the red planets with Magnate races that you have colonized. It took me a while to notice this.
                    ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
                    "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
                    Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

Ok, in reading some of these post, I understand that Magante Civs are good to have in your corner...

Questions tho -1. It is mentioned that they will move to planets of their liking, and will be under your controll. Correct? 2. Do you have to allow the AI to colonize planets for you, for these Magnates to move off world? I have the colonize setting to default where I define what plants get the colony ships. When you build a colony ship from a Magnate dominant plante, what race are they and how can you tell by looking at the ship?

Thanks in advance for the assist here!

Comment

Originally posted by Shnozwangler
                        Ok, in reading some of these post, I understand that Magante Civs are good to have in your corner...

Questions tho -1. It is mentioned that they will move to planets of their liking, and will be under your controll. Correct? 2. Do you have to allow the AI to colonize planets for you, for these Magnates to move off world? I have the colonize setting to default where I define what plants get the colony ships. When you build a colony ship from a Magnate dominant plante, what race are they and how can you tell by looking at the ship?

Thanks in advance for the assist here!
                        1. Yep, Magnate Civs (and obviously also conquered Races) set up Colonies on their own. Those new Colonies belong to your Empire and can be controlled by you just as any other Colony.

2. You don´t have The AI-Colonization Setting turned on. I Have it turned off and the Magnate Civs still set up Colonies on their own.

I think you can´t manually colonize Worlds with Magnate Civs or conquered Races though. As the Colonization Ship goes directly into your Ship Reserves, I assume that it will be used by your own race.
                        But I haven´t tried it out yet.

Comment

As far as I can tell, the colony ship contains colonists from the majority race of the planet it is built on.

This is quite confusing though, because you can't see what race a colony ship contains once it is built. You also can't view the a planet's habitability from the perspective of a magnate civ, so you don't know which planets will be green for them.

Comment

I found and assimilated the Alluviehs (sp?) and they grow so slow I'll never have the chance to see them colonize. Of course they were growing faster before my empire began to starve because the stupid AI wasn't building bioharvest deas.

Comment

I just found out that magnate civs can be annoying.

I normally colonized a planet that was green for my Psilons. Then these silly protoplasmatic guys (Ajdavar or whatever) migrate there in masses until they overtake my Psilons in population, and now the planet is classified yellow because the protoplasmas form the majority.

Sigh... in moments like these I want to (dare I say the word) MICROMANAGE my damn population.

Comment

Working...
                              X