No announcement yet.

How to kill a Guardian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way I play, guardian worlds are easy to find... just look for the "curiously" unexplored system amidst a group of explored systems hehe, usually if there's multiple jump points leading to an unexplored system AFTER your exploration spree, there's a good chance it's a guardian world.

Personally, with my Elerian mod I made, I go straight for Draconis and "liberate" it hehe. As the Ferengi said in BotF... "Supperior numbers are just as effective as supperior technology!" ... I stand true to that... I've almost got the Stellar Converter and yet my most effective group of ships happens to be those 5 squadrons of generation 1 (beginning of the game) carriers I built and stuffed full of laser-interceptors. Mind you, I'd never fight the Antarans with that fleet! lmao

I fought an Antaran group of 40+ ships with roughly 120 carriers (each had 110 interceptors with neutron tech)... Though I reduced their numbers to 15 ships, those 15 remaining ships were UNDAMAGED! I would watch as the blue numbers went up into the -200,000 damage and STILL no yellow or red! ... Tough sobs... I think I'll wait until I DO have Stellar Conversters before fighting them unless they have that very annoying "invincibility" flag on.

Comment

I think that even with the PD bug fixed, the easiest way to take out damper-field protected ships will be with missiles, since missiles ignore shields. Unless the opponent likes to cram as much PD into a TF as I do.

Comment

The easiest way to kill something is to annihilate it... nothing does that job better than a Stellar Converter... I remember in Moo2 when I'd stick 1 of these miniturized puppies onboard simple little frigates to form a huge, yet innexpensive fleet of stellar converter guns. Nice way to empty out a galaxy in a few turns lmao

Ofcourse my other strategy was to stick a Stellar Converter, Time Warp Facilitator and Phased Cloak onboard a doom star then as many stellar converters as possible... No offensive or defensive combo was more destructive than that. Decloak, Shoot, Cloak, Decloak, Shoot, Cloak. lol

Almost as useful as my "Doom Star full of Assault Shuttles" strategy hehe

That's one of the many things I miss in Moo3... the ability to capture enemy vessels in battle. Along with the ability to purchase a project into completion... And the mighty Doom Star, screw the Laviathan, I want a mobile moon! lol

I also miss those moo2 races they took out. I liked the space combat advantages of the Alkari, and the Telepathic abilities (and omniscience!) of the Elerians ect. Who really cares if those races were "orriginal" or not? (I didn't realize the Elerians were a ripoff of the Sireens of Star Control until I played Star Control 2 and 3 lol) I hope someone out there makes a very detailed mod that will include some of these missing things hehe.

I also miss the "uniqueness" of the ship designs in moo2. Every race (well, color) had a different set of ship designs. In moo3 there's only a different set for each type of race and it bugs me.

Anyone here know why the game always picks the harvesters at least once every darned game?! I hate that! I almost never see humanoids. Almost always harvesters, saurians, insectoid and whatever the type the Trilarians and Nommo are lol

You know, from what I see of how the battles are managed, it has a very "star trek" feel to it but I still say the battle system of Birth of the Federation with a few improvements would have been better (and it would have been turn-based too!)

as for the PD Bug, i only take advantage of that when I have exhausted all other possiblities. I hate cheating, it ruins the game.

Comment

Originally posted by sartha
          The easiest way to kill something is to annihilate it... nothing does that job better than a Stellar Converter... I remember in Moo2 when I'd stick 1 of these miniturized puppies onboard simple little frigates to form a huge, yet innexpensive fleet of stellar converter guns.
          I hate to start anything, but you wil notbe fitting any stellar converters into a frigate.
          Frigate has 31 space. After all tech learned and you are starting adv tech 1 the converter need 500 space.
          At that point it will only fit in a DS.
          Last edited by vmxa1; March 13, 2003, 02:19.

Comment

Originally posted by sartha
            The easiest way to kill something is to annihilate it... nothing does that job better than a Stellar Converter... I remember in Moo2 when I'd stick 1 of these miniturized puppies onboard simple little frigates to form a huge, yet innexpensive fleet of stellar converter guns. Nice way to empty out a galaxy in a few turns lmao
            Is the converter in MOO2 better than shieldpiercing autofire phaser with every damage boosting equipments? a dozen of doomstars with phaser could vaporize 100 enemy doomstars in one turn..

Comment

Advanced Tech miniturizes all the equipment related to that tech field. I had something like Advanced Tech 100 when I was able to fit a stellar converter onto a frigate.

And as for the phasers, well... 1) Stellar Converters can blow up planets, phasers cannot. 2) A Phase-cloak/time warp facilitator/stellar converter combo is IMPERVIOUS to all attacks if you always skip the even-numbered turns ; So your "phaser" fleet would be getting blown to smithereens without any hope of so much as damaging one of my doom stars.

Comment

What could you possibly be doing to make the game last that long? Adv tech 100, even when doing scoring run I never dragged it out that long.
                I am well aware of what and how convertors behave and phased cloaking and Time Facility.

Comment

Sartha, stop lying - in MOO2 the Stellar converter miniaturizes itself only to size of 200 and NEVER becomes smaller.
                  Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Comment

For the antharian ships - they have a thick quickly regenerating shield called "Damper Field" That's why you cant kill them if their regeneration exceeds your firepower
                    Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Comment

I'm not lying though, the converter did fit... wether it was in version 1.0 or 1.3 I don't remember, I recall many things (including the space requirement for plasma cannons) changing in 1.3...

As for dragging the game a while, well, I like long games, I hate to win a game without doing everything that can be done.

As for the Damper Field, in moo3 it's 32,000 hit points and regenerates 32,000 hit points every 5 seconds so unless you can deal that many hit points of damage every 5 seconds, you aren't going to get through. (Not all antaran ships have that, I was able to wipe out a few of their ships with ease)

Comment

sartha I understand that, but I mean I have done a huge map and colonized all planets and AP. Ran the game out till all planets have all pop points, but 4 and still was only at adv tech 6. One planet with 1 pop left to get when it was time to do in the anties. So to go long enough to get to adv tech 100, is really hard to imagine.
                        I would have nothing left to do after adv tech4 or so.
                        Anyway you are free to do so it.

Comment

If I remember well, I was trying to see how high the advanced tech levels went... I got up to 156 I believe before I got bored and blew up every planet in the galaxy except my homeworld... hehe

Comment

How did you attack your own colonies?

Comment

I gave them to the AI as gifts... hehe aren't I just the evil one?

Comment

Working...
                              X