Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master of Orion 3 - What Went Wrong?

Hello all,

As a disclaimer, these are all just my opinions, and I am open to hearing other points of view regarding my ideas.

As a bit of background, I am a computer science graduate student at the University of Arizona, and a huge fan of both MOO1 and MOO2. This being said, I've followed MOO3 for awhile, even through all the recent bad reviews, convinced that anything Master of Orion based could not be that bad. It must just be that the reviewers weren't fans of that type of game. Today, after having read the entire manual and the ReadMe file, I fired up the game. It started out well enough. The intro was cool and set up the game well (although if you hadn't read the manual you'd probably be left scratching your head). All hyped up, ready to spend most of the day before class lost in a brand new Master of Orion universe, I started a new game.

Four hours later, I sat watching the uninstall program running, wondering what went wrong.

Now, I know many of you at this point are thinking "Well, he didn't give it a chance. The learning curve is usually 10 or 15 hours," In reply, I say "So what?". I do not pay 50 dollars for games in order to force myself to play them, hoping eventually that will magically become more fun. I have no problems playing a game for hours to get the hang of them, but it should at least be fun in the process. That's the point of the game, isn't it? Besides, I am firmly convinced that my two big problems with the game would not fade with time.

The first of these is the fact that the game just feels unprofessional. It seems to me like a bunch of people who did not know how to program or design software, but were fans of the first two games, got together and tried to throw as much together as possible. Having no experience with software design whatsoever, they apparently did not judge how much time adding each feature would take, and thus the game ended up as a mess. They've taken everything that was good and well designed about the interfaces of MOO1 and MOO2 and removed them. Instead, I now have to dig through 4 menus in order to access the build queue for a planet. In the past, it took 2. Why? Why did they make things more complicated? They broke two key rules: 1) if it ain't broke, don't fix it and more importantly 2) KISS (keep it simple, stupid). Playing a game should not give me a headache. Rather than follow the example of MOO2 (take the good parts of MOO1 and build upon them), they redid everything, but they redid it all badly. Take, for example, the diplomacy screen in MOO2 vs. MOO3. In MOO2, just from looking at the screen, you can see what treaties you have, what benefit you are receiving from them, how many spies you have in the empire, what those spies are doing, and the overall relationship between your empires. All of this on one screen. In MOO3, you have to click through various tabs and on each leader icon in order to see the same information. This is not an improvement, this is a de-evolution. Compare either MOO1 or MOO2's interface to MOO3's, and it's obvious which one is inferior. However, even all these flaws in presentation do not necessarrily mean the game is bad. While they make playing the game more of a chore, if it weren't for the second major problem, it could still be on par with MOO1 and MOO2. That problem is simple - the game has no soul.

I think the developers did not understand a lot of what made MOO1 and MOO2 great. It wasn't just the deep strategy and the amazing gameplay, it was the fact the game had a soul to it. It was the little things, like your researchers popping up and explaining what advances you've made. It was seeing your spies tell you what they stole. It was the fact that alien races told you why they were mad at you, not just that they were. It was watching your colony ship land on a planet and then naming it whatever you wanted to. It was controlling each of your ships in combat and doing everything you could to keep every little ship alive. For some reason, MOO3 felt the need to remove all that. Apparently what they meant by "Simulating an Empire" was "Drowning you in tons of information with no personal touches." Reading "Your researches have completed research on Biospheres" doesn't give the same feeling of accomplishment that someone coming up and telling you what they've created does. Reading what happened for a special event doesn't have the same impact or feel as being informed over GNN does. The game relies too much on its SitReps, and I think that it one of the game's key flaws. Maybe it's just my personal opinion, but it seems to me that without these things, it's not a Master of Orion game.

It's sad that this happened, really. Creating a sequel to MOO2 would not have been that hard. Take some of the good ideas from MOO3 (the plot, the harvesters, the increased role of the Orion senate), improve on some things of MOO2 (the micromanagement), add internet support, improve the graphics, and you have a grand game. Perhaps some people would have complained it was not a true sequel, but I think it would've been worth 50 dollars for those improvements.

For those of you that do enjoy MOO3, I envy you, I really do. I wish the game could have liven up to its predecessors, but in my mind, it failed. For those of you sticking with it, good luck, and I hope you find a trace of the soul of the series somewhere undernearth all the endless, bland, boring menus.
    Last edited by Silellak; February 27, 2003, 19:13.

Oh well Silellak, at least you have Galactic Civlizations to look forward to. Maybe that will turn out to be the game you thought MOO3 should be.
    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

4 layers to get to the build queue's?

I don't suppose anyone can tell me why they can't put arrows there to scroll through the build queue's for each planet, can they?

Is there a summary page showing the build queues for each planet?

Can you access the build queue's from that single page as well as going through the 4 layer shenanagans?

Comment

Re: Master of Orion 3 - What Went Wrong?

Originally posted by Silellak
        I have no problems playing a game for hours to get the hang of them, but it should at least be fun in the process. That's the point of the game, isn't it? ... ...Playing a game should not give me a headache....
        I am still on the fence about whether to buy the game, but these are 2 reasons that keep me there.

Reading about how some describe the game as you have tells me it isn't for me.

Certainly because I want a fun game, not endless menus and screens after I just spent all day at work with programs like SAP and Pro/E...I get enough of that at work.

But, I will continue to read what you guys have to say.
        While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Similar story from the Civ2 die hards re Civ 3.

The radical departures are not appreciated by many.

I take a slightly different view. I do not expect the game to be what I would do with it, I approach the game by trying to figure out what the developers intended for this installment.

I'm not sure if they have done a good job or not yet. I haven't got that far. I am missing a screen that shows me all planets and what they are building though.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Similar story from the Civ2 die hards re Civ 3.

Not true. I was a Civ/Civ2 diehard that loved Civ3.

I don't care if the look & feel changes as long as it doesn't detract from the FUN.
            "Barbarism is the natural state of mankind... Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always triumph."

Comment

Hey Silellak I totally agree. I have many many years of playing both board and computer and I'm a software professional with a technical degree as well.

I loved Master of Magic, MOO1, MOO2 (not as well as MOO1 but pretty darn close) and I have to agree with the points you make about MOO3.

Now I've been getting flamed about "I need to do this" or "I need to do that" to make the MOO3 experience better. But, notwithstanding a learning curve, why should I adapt and bend over backwards (or forwards in this case) to learn to enjoy the game when I should just be having fun automatically.

I'm certainly not saying it's easy these days what with the production values of Medieval Total War or the true honest depth of Europa Universalis 2. I'm sure everyone involved had the very best of intentions but it just seems like they shot for moon and really missed.

So what was the VERY FIRST thing I did when I loaded MOO3 you may ask? I looked at the credits. Yes the credits, to pay a small homage to everyone involved. Great graphics and a great layout (though lifted entirely from Homeworld). Hey they even thanked MOO fans everywhere nearly at the top. But where Homeworld had a sweet soundtrack (I copied it just to listen to the track it was so good), MOO3 has a bland soundtrack and the credits simply end instead of a nice loopback.
              Do I really care about music? A nice touch but if executed poorly it becomes a distraction. The point is that the credits seem to be a mirror of the whole game. Copied well, but not original and lacking soul.

What I care about is gameplay more than anything else
              and Silellak is right when he says this game has no soul.

Where's the love?

Comment

Originally posted by booje
                Now I've been getting flamed about "I need to do this" or "I need to do that" to make the MOO3 experience better. But, notwithstanding a learning curve, why should I adapt and bend over backwards (or forwards in this case) to learn to enjoy the game when I should just be having fun automatically.

I'm certainly not saying it's easy these days what with the production values of Medieval Total War or the true honest depth of Europa Universalis 2.
                Honest depth of EU2? How so, it is an even worse waiting game than MOO3 is. The "learning curve" is steeper in EU2.

Why did you give EU2 a chance and not MOO3? Most likely, and this is a guess, it's because you hadn't played EU before.

I think everyones biggest problem is they don't want to go through the learning curve, they want it as easy as MOO2 was, and what's the point in that?

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

MOO3 can be summed up in one word: confusing!

I'm still playing, hoping it will come together for me. Gives me something to do while waiting for GalCiv.
                  - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                  - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                  - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

"I think everyones biggest problem is they don't want to go through the learning curve, they want it as easy as MOO2 was, and what's the point in that?"

It's not just the fact that there is a learning curve, it's the fact that:

1) it's ridiculously steep - more so than it should be, because of the horrible design flaws

2) Learning the game is not FUN. I'd have no trouble fighting the learning curve as long as I was enjoying myself doing it. I'm not. It's like Me vs. the Interfance instead of Me vs. Other Races

Comment

Originally posted by Silellak
                      "I think everyones biggest problem is they don't want to go through the learning curve, they want it as easy as MOO2 was, and what's the point in that?"

It's not just the fact that there is a learning curve, it's the fact that:

1) it's ridiculously steep - more so than it should be, because of the horrible design flaws

2) Learning the game is not FUN. I'd have no trouble fighting the learning curve as long as I was enjoying myself doing it. I'm not. It's like Me vs. the Interfance instead of Me vs. Other Races
                      Oh, I understand what you are saying on both points.

EU2 was much the same way with me. EU2 just couldn't hold my attention.

But, Having played the franchise since it's inception, I will fight the learning curve and hope the game gets fun. I like it so far, but I am confused on several things.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

The problem is that the interface obfuscates the fun. It's useful when you know what you're doing, and it's downright laughable how bad MoO2's is compared sometimes (aside from that damn build queue...grrr) but man oh man, does it fight you.

To think that it got dumbed down to this...gah.

Comment

Moo3 is indeed overly-complex. Much of the information and overhead that is in the game is simply not needed. I think it will turn off many casual players. Theres like 13 diff ship classes and like 5 types for each class and... good god develping new ships for all duties requires several dozen new designs lol. It's bloated thats for sure.

But... I still think it is good I have one problem tho... wtf is wrong with the diplomacy ?? lol I have species calling me up tellin me what a backstabbing maniac I am and they will NEVER forgive me... like I killed all their newborn children or something lol but I was in a non-aggression treaty and piles of trade treaties with them for dozen turns. Also, I get a non-aggression and declaration of war offer in the same turn from the same civ O.o. Wars just seem to end magically and then they are re-declared... wierd stuff. the AI needs to tell u WHY they are upset... its just too vague right now and doesnt make sense most of the time.

Anyway... this game coulda used a lot more fat trimming lol. I cant imagine what it was before it was 'dumbed down'.. musta seriously been a spreadsheet linked to a RDBMS in space lol. I think many ppl arent gonna give this game enough time cuz they will just play it for a while and be like.. wtf.... and probably not play it anymore or return it. I enjoy it tho, Its a good game basically just a little cluttered with stuff u probably dont need to know

Comment

Moo3 isn't supposed to be a game you enjoy automatically, well not unless you like spread sheets i guess. Moo isn't a main stream market game, it's not for everyone, and QS has never tried to make it that way.

"Not true. I was a Civ/Civ2 diehard that loved Civ3."
                            One of the minority of civ/civ2 players who does. nye is right.

You people are talking about fighting the learning curve, learn to fight the impatience first, and maybe then you'll be able to figure things out.

Comment

The design doc for MoO3 declared it was to be an A+ title to sell 500K copies or more. That's a mainstream game if there ever was one.

Regardless of whether that was their intent, it sure as hell wasn't what they got. I can't imagine any casual gamers even remotely liking it.

Comment

Working...
                              X