No Final War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Final War?

This does not make sense for several reasons. One of them being that the Ithys and Saurians cannot exist together peacefully. The Saurians would not bow to an Ithy dominated Senate, or vice versa. Another reason this does not make sense is because the Harvesters cannot exist with anyone peacefully, not even themselves. I doubt that the Senate would allow the Harvesters to continue to exist regardless of any other concerns.

I think that there should be some sort of dividing lines in the Senate about who accepts the ruling and who doesn`t based on outside alliances and the relations table as Pedxing laid out on IGMOO..

Edit: Trying to clean up my grammer
    Last edited by RolandtheMad; February 19, 2003, 21:26.

I completely agree.

Someone should make a post about it on the official forums if there isn't already one there.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

There have been many petitions but little discussion on IGMOO.

Comment

I'm sure this could be added to a patch/mod. No big whoop.

Comment

just turn off the victory condition. in civ3 i turned off the un victory after the first time i won via it. Its just too sudden of a victory for my taste.

At the least, I think that non-senate members would ignore the resolution. After all, they didn't get to vote, why would they obey?
          By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo
            At the least, I think that non-senate members would ignore the resolution. After all, they didn't get to vote, why would they obey?
            The logic behind that design decision (if it wasn't an oversight) was most likely "If someone got powerful enough to achieve a Senate victory, they're powerful enough (especially with Senate backing) to crush anyone who opposes the ruling. The non-Senate races will see this writing on the wall and give up." ... this is likely true, but I'd like a chance to make the computer prove it

edit- and, of course, I have that chance by turning off the victory condition and seeing what happens when the computer gets elected President... I'm not sure if the "Final War" situation will be the same, though.

Comment

Well, as I said over at IGMOO - if it works like final war did in Moo2, all the races in the senate would give all their tech to each other and gang up on you.

That includes the New Orions, who have every tech in the game.

Yeah, THAT will be a fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by kalbear
                That includes the New Orions, who have every tech in the game.
                But do they? All the screenies I've seen with their endgame stats show tech levels in the 25ish range, when 50 is the max (you can go beyond that too, I think, but there's little point).

Yeah, THAT will be a fair game.
                was I asking for a "fair game" in that situation? Oh heck no, I expect the computer to pull out every stop and completely unify against me (even to the point of Saurians and Ich-those fishy things laying down together in peace while concentrating on my destruction)... and I expect, after I get good enough, that I will still win

Comment

The logic behind that design decision (if it wasn't an oversight) was most likely "If someone got powerful enough to achieve a Senate victory, they're powerful enough (especially with Senate backing) to crush anyone who opposes the ruling. The non-Senate races will see this writing on the wall and give up." ... this is likely true, but I'd like a chance to make the computer prove it
                  But lets say that I have the biggest, most powerful empire in the game. But I'm not in the senate. Then the senate members are only competing with eachother for the victory. Why the heck would I obey the ruling?

Anyway, its not a terribly big deal. But it would be a nice thing to see in a patch.
                  By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo
                    But lets say that I have the biggest, most powerful empire in the game. But I'm not in the senate. Then the senate members are only competing with eachother for the victory. Why the heck would I obey the ruling?
                    I agree. As it stands, you would have to use some of that massive force to smash up the senate guys enough that they don't just get elected... or try to get into the senate.

Anyway, its not a terribly big deal. But it would be a nice thing to see in a patch.
                    Also agreed.

Comment

For theer NOT to be the option of a total war is kinda silly. If i'm not in the senate, what the hell do i care if someone wins the senate presidency? If they wanna impose their will on me - theyre gonna have to force me!

So - I would like to see:

(1) The option for a final war to be added in a patch. It *is* an entirely different endgame to just turning off diplomatic victory and going for sole survivor. In sole survivor you can bide your time, and pick off the other races one by one. In a final war there is no more diplomatic pussyfooting around - its fighting tooth, nail and tentacle for survival.

(2) The New Orions get the hump when they are voted out - and either sublime (taking all their tech with them), pack up and leave for pastures new (again, taking all of their tech), or declare total war on the new senate (hehe, okay maybe that last one would be a bit nasty). Either way - make it so that the new senate leaders dont get easy access to NO tech, so that a final war wont be a one-sided massacre.

(3) If you defy the senate and thus invoke final war - i'd like it so that you ARENT necessarily the only voice of dissent. How about a few other AI races join you in a desparate alliance against the evil senate? Possibly some of the other outer races, and maybe one or two of the senate members who voted against the winners of the presidency. Then you would have the potential for half of the galaxy against the other half in one massive orgy of death.

(4) Have it so that even if you *win* the presidency yourself - the same thing described in (3) can happen to you: i.e. you win the presidency - and then have to lead the senate to clear out the rebellious scum who have allied against your new galactic order.

[sarcasm]
                      Nahh.... now i think about it - that stuff doesnt sound like much fun at all...
                      [/sarcasm]
                      Last edited by Daveybaby; February 20, 2003, 11:54.
                      We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at
                      them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveybaby It *is* an entirely different endgame to just turning off diplomatic victory and going for sole survivor. In sole survivor you can bide your time, and pick off the other races one by one. In a final war there is no more diplomatic pussyfooting around - its fighting tooth, nail and tentacle for survival.
                        That is very true. Turning off a senate win means there is no pressure on you to strike which is entirely different from defying the council.

It would be a nice option to see in a patch. There's no reason why the New Orions would actively participate in the war. Having just been voted out of control they could sit back and expect the anti-NO council to be weakened by the war and leave them nicely placed to step back in at a later date if the council gets its butt kicked...
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

@ Daveybaby: Your ideas would make for an awesome end-game experience.
                          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

What good is a Senate Victory if you have have a final war?

"Congrats, you win... but not really."

The Senate Victory is a way to win the game in a (generally) non-military fashion and a final war would just turn it into something where all that diplomacy is wasted and you still have to win by military.

Now, the best of both worlds would be of course to have the option to turn on or off a final war in the set up. That way if you really wanted to, you could play out the game after a Senate Victory and take on the galaxy, so to speak.

Put in coalition victories while you're at it.

edit: sp
                            Last edited by viciouscycle; February 21, 2003, 01:11.
                            Objects in mirror are insignificant.

Comment

I seem to remember at least one MOO2 game where I had a big empire and generally started being mean to everyone so the other empires elected a president and I ended up winning the game against the Senate.

Comment

Working...
                              X