Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customization of Colors, Names, and other such things?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Customization of Colors, Names, and other such things?

    To anyone in the know, from betatesters to designers to reviewers:

    Is it possible to customize any and all of the following?

    - System names (especially home system, as in other MoO games)
    - Empire map color (not just the flag, but the color - how many empire colors are available? are all of them accessible to human players? do you get a choice?)

    Admittedly small issues, but they are ones that have not been satisfyingly answered that I've seen thusfar... and these aren't exactly like hiding information about the Ithkul... this is just feature stuff.

    Thank You
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

  • #2
    I am no beta tester, but I have heard you get no choice in either of those matters.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

    Do It Ourselves

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, from what I've seen on IGMoo forums, You can pick your flag, but color is assigned randomly. Also you cannot rename systems.
      Gaurdian of The Way

      Comment


      • #4
        If this is true... bah, humbug.

        I want to name my home system and I want to decide my own color... I'd think this wouldn't be too much to ask. Seriously... MoO and MoO2 both had those options (hell, MoO and MoO2 let you rename a system each time you colonized it or re-colonized it ).

        Would it really be that hard to let the players customize the star names and choose their map color???
        Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
        Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
        7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Arnelos
          If this is true... bah, humbug.

          I want to name my home system and I want to decide my own color... I'd think this wouldn't be too much to ask. Seriously... MoO and MoO2 both had those options (hell, MoO and MoO2 let you rename a system each time you colonized it or re-colonized it ).

          Would it really be that hard to let the players customize the star names and choose their map color???
          To give the standard IGMOO answer...

          It must not have been 'fun'.



          -P

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, don't give up...keep showing up and voicing your issues in a constructive and civil fashion. The reason that I say that is that the game developers have said in an interview here:
            http://www.ugo.com/channels/games/fe.../interview.asp
            ...that they intend to add to and alter the game, based upon what feedback they get in the forums and boards. So don't give up on your ideas!

            Comment


            • #7
              Well... in defense of the ability to name systems and planets whatever you want and to establish your own map color as you deem fit...

              Does it add functionality to the game? No.

              Does it make any difference in gameplay? No.

              Is it an amazingly impressive graphical feature? No, it's an incredibly simple one.

              Does it add color to the game? YES! (pun intended )

              It may not do a whole lot in some people's eyes to add to a game, but some of us take enjoyment from little bits of added color (pun intended again) to games like this. If I play the Silicoids (which I generally like play), I may want to have my home planet named Cryslon like in previous games. Or if I play the Humans, I may want my home system to be Sol (as it should be ) for the color/roleplay value if nothing else.

              Granted, it's not a make-or-break thing, but it adds a little bit of extra enjoyment for something that I'd think would be extremely easy to implement (but I fully admit I don't know the first thing about that stuff ).

              Would be much appreciated if added.

              Hope Rantz and company are listening...
              Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
              Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
              7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

              Comment


              • #8
                Your questions has been discussed a million times in both Infogrames and Apolyton forums.
                As well the replies by BT and the *antz-brothers.
                IIRC the reason for both is the multiplayer feature.
                If you can´t beat them, join them ... and vice versa !

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm with Arnelos on this one, at what about customizing graphics, how can I make an Amazon version of Moo3 without that ability?


                  Hmmmm?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Paddy
                    Your questions has been discussed a million times in both Infogrames and Apolyton forums.
                    As well the replies by BT and the *antz-brothers.
                    IIRC the reason for both is the multiplayer feature.
                    And now, as it was then, its still a relatively weak response.

                    Moo2 had MP, and you COULD do it.

                    -P

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Pallidyne is spot on.

                      How much extra work did it take them to add this feature to MoO2? Seriously... I don't know much about programming, but I seriously doubt that this very hard. 4x games since 4x games were invented have used different colors by player and allowed you to pick which color you played.

                      Perhaps not allowing players to pick their map color has to do with that 5th X?
                      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Arnelos
                        It may not do a whole lot in some people's eyes to add to a game, but some of us take enjoyment from little bits of added color (pun intended again) to games like this. If I play the Silicoids (which I generally like play), I may want to have my home planet named Cryslon like in previous games. Or if I play the Humans, I may want my home system to be Sol (as it should be ) for the color/roleplay value if nothing else.
                        Actually, the Humans shouldn't start on Sol, nor should the Silicoids start on Cryslon. As you'll read in the backstory when you get the game, the new orions had the races stuck on zoo worlds for a long time before the game started.

                        As for not being able to pick your colour, it was meant to stop players fighting over red in MP. I'd like it to be changed in a patch but if it isn't it's not a big deal.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And they're idiot programmers. MoO1, MoO2, and MoM had no "back story" and they we're great games, shoe-horning players into this MP-inspired idocy of not being able to name stars and the like was just plain stupid...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Arnelos
                            Perhaps not allowing players to pick their map color has to do with that 5th X?
                            ineXplicable?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don`t see how 'but for MP' can be an excuse for anything. Just don`t have it in MP!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X