Sneak peek at MOO3 "postmortem"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sneak peek at MOO3 "postmortem"

I'll be doing a postmortem article on MOO3, starring Bill Fisher (President of Quicksilver). For those of you who don't know, a "postmortem" is an article in which the developer(s) and people involved in a game discuss the long path it took til gold.

For example, the tech tree in MOO3 was originally very convoluted and branched - it was great on paper, but in practice, it turned out to be too confusing, so they went with the current "Matrix" design which is much more linear, but also, if I remember correctly, allows for slight shifting in techs.

(ie. hydroponic farms is supposed to be a level 1 bio tech, but in this game session, it's level 2, and may take 2 slots up, not 1. Stuff like that. Once I'm playing, I'll know more and not guessing as much.)

Anyway, there are very valid reasons the game was delayed, and thankfully, they didn't push it out or try to "force puzzle pieces together."

When I get my review copy, I hope it's everything *I* personally am hoping for.

I'll be surprised if there are "very valid" reasons for the game being delayed. In fact, I'd be willing to stake a great deal on the reasons not being valid at all, at least in my opinion.

Comment

That's great news! Is it going to be featured on gamedeveloper or poly?

Comment

It should be noted that this is NOT a postmort. in the traditional sense. Bill agreed to answer 10 questions from Jonah, which he'll do.

A traditional PostMort. may or may not occur, we've already been asked by a couple different folks for them and we're simply deciding whther or not to do it.
        Rantz Hoseley
        Art Director
        Quicksilver Software, Inc.

Comment

I'd personally love it, Rantz. PMs don't usually get done on TBS-style games, and something of MOO's scope would be great to hear about.

Comment

And doing an "after death" before the game is even released wouldn't be a very good omen anyway, would it?

Comment

Postmortems don't mean that, darcy. They are done from the point of view of the developers - who basically view the game as done as soon as they can ship the final product. Right now is likely a pretty decent time to do it - before the game ships, but after it's been released, while the work is still fresh in their minds. They likely have some free time to work on it, they're not rushing onto other projects, etc.

Comment

In the case of MoO3, a "postmortem" might very well mean what it means...

Enough crazy stuff has happened with this game already... that's not TERRRIBLY far fetched
                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Well, just hope QS is not like Angst Tech replace cowmandows with moo no wait; don't!

Comment

Well, yeah, it's not a postmortem - but it IS a look back on development. It's too bad I can no longer access my June 5, 2000 preview/interview to see what was discussed. (sigh)

Comment

It is still something to look forward to. Jonah: Will you be doing the interview "face to face"? Or will it just be ten questions emailed, answered, and published?

Asmodean
                      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                        It is still something to look forward to. Jonah: Will you be doing the interview "face to face"? Or will it just be ten questions emailed, answered, and published?

Asmodean
                        I'm in New York City, Bill's in Irvine, CA. It'll be an email discussion, though I've spoken with him on the phone.

Comment

my question is who is JonahFalcon that he has the president of QS' ear?

Comment

he's the Man
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                              he's the Man
                              thank you for a very enlightening response mark

can anyone else shed a glimmer of light on who jonah is?

Comment

Working...
                              X