Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which race will you play in your first game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up the Nommo ! Who cares if they can't fight for toffee when they want to fight, and they look cool and are science wizards. I want to hear how they talk. Then I'll never eat sushi again.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexfrog
      ugh, not more "humans" voters.....why do people feel the need to play humans first....there are so many COOL ALIEN RACES. Dont you want to experience them?
      I'll play ANY default race that the developers decided to propose in the game default settings, that is, for the first run I'll make NO (or the least possible) *custom* choices.

THAT's what I intend for experience.

I don't know whether the default race will be Humans.
      If they are, I'll play them.
      If not, I'll play whichever the game proposes me first.

Of course THEN I'll long to try as more as I can, even ones at the antipodes of natural style.

BTW, as much as I HATE modding civlike games factions/civs (and I don't talk here about useless graphics/names, but about factional and unit STATS), because such mods are made tinkering with the resource files and in a free-form system...
      ...as well I LOVE customising races, where the game *provides* you with an embedded bonus/penalty system and "race points" to spend in your customisation, so to ensure that any customisation you apply would result in a "more or less equally powerful" design.

This to say that as in SMAC I *strictly* play with the original factions, very likely in MoO(3 and olders) which race I'll pick will be less relevant than the intensive game-provided customisations I'll apply to them.
      I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

I almost never customize my races. I've tried a few games with max penalties to improve my score but I stunk at it and preferred to master the standard races. I've never tried modifying the spreadsheets to affect the stats so I'm fairly neutral on that one.

Comment

Ahh didn't we have this Thread before?
          Well I'll play Psilons first to get some experience with the Research and then Prolly Evian uhm Evon I mean
          Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Evon - because i think they sound cool... then one of the races in the species with the coolest-looking ships, then the Grendarl or possibly Ithkul...

Comment

pesky humans and psilons are out in front...

come on, where are all the people looking to try the cool new races?

Comment

I always play what I know before I play the new stuff to get used to the game. The second game I`ll probably be either Ithkul, Silicoid, Klackon, or Meklar. Whichever one impresses me most.

Comment

Silicoid for the first game. In the background, Simon and Garfunkel will be singing "I am a rock...."

Truly, it will be a magical experience. And there will be much rejoicing. Yay.
                  Objects in mirror are insignificant.

Comment

I will play the humans. Because I am one.

Maybe it's just something hardwired in my brain, and I suppose that I am missing out on the real enjoyment of Civ and MOO2, but I always play the Americans in Civ and the humans in MOO2. I'm an American adn a human)

Even in Starcraft I always play the terrans, in Warcraft, always the humans...

It's just something that I always want to do.

Although in the sci-fi arena, I am more open to playing other races. I haven't done so yet in MOO2 (I've only had it for a few weeks..picked it up in the bargain bin in an attempt to get familiar with MOO before I play MOO3).

In SMAC, I always play the University...can't say why..
                    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by vee4473
                      I will play the humans. Because I am one.

Maybe it's just something hardwired in my brain, and I suppose that I am missing out on the real enjoyment of Civ and MOO2, but I always play the Americans in Civ and the humans in MOO2. I'm an American adn a human)

Even in Starcraft I always play the terrans, in Warcraft, always the humans...

It's just something that I always want to do.

Although in the sci-fi arena, I am more open to playing other races. I haven't done so yet in MOO2 (I've only had it for a few weeks..picked it up in the bargain bin in an attempt to get familiar with MOO before I play MOO3).

In SMAC, I always play the University...can't say why..
                      I always play the humans, too... I have a reputation among my friends for being the guy in most sci fi and strategy games who always plays the humans

That said, I occassionally play other races for fun. I like playing the Darloks and Silicoids in Moo, the Darloks and Mrrshan in Moo2, the Protoss in Starcraft. But they don't have the same draw for me as playing the humans/terrans, they just don't.

As for Civ... I'll play whatever, they're ALL humans My favorites in Civ3 are Rome, England, and Greece, but that's just because they're commercial civs (it's interesting that they mostly gave the "commercial" trait to western civs, with India being the only exception).

As for SMAC, I was a poster on the Firaxis boards trying to suggest things to Firaxis about the Peacekeeper faction a FULL YEAR before the game came out... I've been a peacekeeper for a looooonnnngg time I also like playing Morgan and the occassional game as the Spartans or even the Human Hive just for megalomaniac kicks .
                      Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                      Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                      7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

One of the insect races probably, I tend to play only race that look and "feel" far removed from humanity.

I never play humans in any games that has alternatives, I just find it boring, much more interesting for me personally to try something completely different, and the insect races look really different, and I've always been oddly fascinated with insects.

Also quite excited about learning what exactly the Harvesters are. I haven't yet decided whether I want to find out what they are by playing them, or I want to get a big surprise when my insect swarm meet them somewhere out in the great diamond lake.
                        "Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know." -John Keats, from "Ode on a Grecian Urn"

Comment

It looks like i'm the only one who voted for the trilarians, which were and should be now one of the coolest races!

I liked their aquatic feature in moo2, but now that their research(based on the screenshots) is superior, they should be even cooler.

hmm...i hope the game comes out before march...

Comment

I'm going to be a Psilon because I love the cool moving red dot instead of eyes. Like Kit in space.
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

Humans, after finding a way to rename them to Apolytoners (i can do that Rantz, cant it?)
                              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Either:

1. The races are highly customizable. It doesn't matter much which race you start off with in terms of the options that can be customized.

If that's the case, I'll choose my race depending on things that can't be changed, like the terraforming circle. In which case maybe I'll go with the Raas.

Or:

2. The race aren't so highly customizable. It reaaly makes a difference where you're starting off from when customizing.

If that's the case, I'll choose my race to emphasize science and production at the cost of military and espionage. I always figure that even if I'm generally bas at military and espionage, with a strong economy I can make up the difference. Maybe I'll take the humans and gut their espionage to pay for a better economy.
                                dadacp@gmx.net

Comment

Working...
                                X