No announcement yet.

In-House Preview Online: Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel compelled to suggest you (DanQ) should stick to writing law papers, where your writing style may be more appreciated, in some twisted way. You said too little using far too many cumbersome words, IMHO.

Two errors I happen to remember... it's "lest you regret it later", not "least". And it says "+.5" as manufacturing production bonus for Natural Engineers. The text states +5. Not like I personally care too much, having no clue whatsoever what exactly manufacturing production is and how it operates and influences things.

Those screenshots are nice to have though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamble
      I feel compelled to suggest you (DanQ) should stick to writing law papers, where your writing style may be more appreciated, in some twisted way. You said too little using far too many cumbersome words, IMHO.
      DanQ -- Gamble may be right, but I guess we all have our own opinions. I thought it was well written and informative, but then, I am a lawyer and probably warped beyond all hope or reason.

I do have a question -- I think you mentioned something that suggests that you have only played one game for about 80+ turns? Is this correct? If so, why only one game?

Thanks for the preview! Keep it up and good luck with your school.

Comment

Well if you want people to nitpick...

Page 4, First paragraph:
        "To the left of each option, usually grouped in a set of four ore more, you will see a radio button."

Comment

Thanks Dan.

Erm, entirely by coincidence, I'll be back next Thursday ... barring unforseen circumstances.

Comment

The most interesting bit of info was IMO the part about the Orion Senate.
            If it is random and you have an advantage by being part of it, running again until you are part of the Senate at no pick cost is a valid strategy, but is boring.
            They should have made it so that the player has to take a pick in order to be part of the Senate.

I also found the review long for what it says, but without that amount of detail, would I have spotted the above-mentioned problem?
            I think it is good to have a thorough review. It is just that everyone would like to learn about the gameplay...
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Got Milk??
              Also I read in another preview, wargamers I believe that said combat is in realtime or so. Is it like 'Star Trek:Birth of the Federation' type deal? not sure you ever played that game thou I'm assumin you didn't play multi yet so you wouldn't know if everyone does their turns at the same time. A final point is there hotseat?
              Real time combat is true realtime, no pausing. Not like ST-BotF It's a slow pace though, so it isn't a click-fest (according to the beta testers and I'm inclined to trust them).

Multiplayer: No hotseat I'm afraid. However, players take their turn at the same time, then their orders are processed once all players have hit 'end turn'. MOO2 played this way over LAN. There are also turn time limits that can be set to prevent micro-management freaks from ruining everyones fun!
              The foppish elf, fighting ithkul in a top hat and smoking jacket since 1885

Comment

Real-Time Combat. Is there an option to "Auto-Combat" or am I confusing with GalCiv ?
                Frag Saddam 2003

Comment

@LDiCesare bonjour
                  You can take a pick to be member of the senate or not, but you are using 10 race picks for that.( it´s on one of the screenshots)
                  With random and restart you keep this 10 points for other attributes.
                  If you can´t beat them, join them ... and vice versa !

Comment

The preview cleared up some points (minor). But it did seem to be just a textural descirption of the pictures :\. Exploring your own personal views more maybe worthwhile. The interface slick, responsive? Have you test the game out on some computers of varying performance. How was the installation (no problems? length of time? 2CD issue?).

Maybe a submission of questions that you can sift through and pick out. [a]majority of asked questions [b] Questions that your allowed to answer

The one week time displacement between posts is that a restriction imposed on you?

Also commenting on teh quality of the opening video maybe a sweet touch.

Comment

The one week time displacement between posts is that a restriction imposed on you?
                      I think it´s because Real Life (TM)
                      The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                        If it is random and you have an advantage by being part of it, running again until you are part of the Senate at no pick cost is a valid strategy, but is boring.
                        They should have made it so that the player has to take a pick in order to be part of the Senate.
                        This got thrashed out rather thoroughly on Delphi, and I believe the current system is the compromise that people largely agreed made the most sense.

There are supposed to be race designs which have an advantage by NOT starting in the Senate. The Senate gives you the advantage of diplomatic contacts, at the cost of early contact and less space to expand.

Of course, anyone who's really lame can keep restarting until they hit the option that's "right" for their race, but if you're so set on that you might as well just spend the picks.

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare

I also found the review long for what it says, but without that amount of detail, would I have spotted the above-mentioned problem?
                          I think it is good to have a thorough review. It is just that everyone would like to learn about the gameplay...
                          note that choosing NOT to be in the senate is ALSO 10 points...

Basically, for some stratgies you want to be in, for some you dont. If you want to guarantee this, you must pay 10. i.e. CHOICE of whether to be in senate is 10, random is 0.....of course in SP you can restart, but in MP you probably cant, so it matters there.

It would of course be best to save the 10 points and be flexible...having a strategy for each case.

Comment

of course in SP you can restart, but in MP you probably cant, so it matters there.
                            I will only do SP so I think it shouldn't be random in SP. As for MP, if it provides a definite advantage to be or not to be part of the Senate, then that's one more ransom factor that I'd rather get rid of. Having bad starting position is already hard enough. If you are stuck with no contact or lose 10(!) picks, then you will be easy prey to your neighbours.

Of course, anyone who's really lame can keep restarting until they hit the option that's "right" for their race, but if you're so set on that you might as well just spend the picks.
                            I am sure I will always restart until I always have the same setting (whatever that be, doesn't matter), so I can compare my games one with another. If in my second game I had 10 free race picks, I cannot really compare it with my first and know whether I made a progress in terms of strategy.
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Dan, you wrote a poor article. It was wordy and pompous. You used empty filler phrases and recounted unimportant observations--who cares that you watched a friend play MOO2?

Concentrate on the real content. Ditch the faux sophistication and fake lawyer style. Deliver your message in the minimum amount of text. This doesn't mean for you to eliminate detail. What it means is that every word must count.

Read THE ELEMENTS OF STYLE by Strunk and White. Or any good composition book. You will learn to write more interesting prose.
                              Last edited by TCO; January 18, 2003, 13:28.

Comment

From Strunk and White, Rule 13:

Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that every word tell.

Many expressions in common use violate this principle:

the question as to whether: whether
                                there is no doubt but that: no doubt (doubtless)
                                used for fuel purposes: used for fuel
                                he is a man who: he
                                in a hasty manner: hastily
                                this is a subject which: this subject
                                His story is a strange one.: His story is strange.

In especial the expression the fact that should be revised out of every sentence in which it occurs.

owing to the fact that: since (because)
                                in spite of the fact that: though (although)
                                call your attention to the fact that: remind you (notify you)
                                I was unaware of the fact that: I was unaware that (did not know)
                                the fact that he had not succeeded: his failure
                                the fact that I had arrived: my arrival

----------------------------------------

An online text: http://www.bartleby.com/141/

(this is the earlier edition, prior to White, now public domain.)
                                Last edited by TCO; January 18, 2003, 13:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X