• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11/23 status update from Chantz on IG forums

Original thread: http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...hreadid=236768

11/23 Update from Chantz
    Hi Folks.

Just wanted to drop in and let you all know how things are progressing.

Obviously, we're still *not* Gold yet; we hit a nasty late game save corruption bug and that absolutely needs to be fixed, which we are obviously doing. MP is still being polished; it's quite stable but still needs a little more luv. And this game is all about luv folks.

Also, for the record, I will make one statement.

The *longer* we take to polish, the *better* the game will be. MOO3 is huge and a beast to test. Every time we cut a build, we start from Zero. *Every* victory condition must be fulfilled in both SP and MP, every map size must be played, every race must be exercised, etc ad infinitum. It's like climbing Mt. Everest...while doing a handstand the *whole* way up.

We obviously have real dates looming in front of us and no one is more cognizant of these dates than QSI, our QA team and myself. *We* also want to finish; we're tired, we're weary and sometimes it seems never ending.

That being said, there will be no sacrifice of quality here. If you want someone to "blame", blame me. I said it before and I’ll say it again. Quality is #1. WE want to know that we have shipped a game that has been played in all permutations and has not crashed or wigged out on you. We also want it to be as balanced as possible. As my uncle Louie the Wig (I kid you not!) would say...Capiche? There's no conspiracy to rob you or screw you; in fact, it is the *exact* opposite if you think about it for a sec.

OK, more screenies and interviews and updates coming soon to a theater near you! We are close, so please be patient and hang in there. It will be worth it in the end.

Best as always,
    Constantine

PS - Modern manufacturing is a wonderful and scary thing; you would be amazed at how fast our ops team can turn stuff around *and* get it to stores. We're only waiting on 1 disk (albit a very important one!)

Thought Id pass that along since I didnt see any mention of it here on poly this morning yet. Nothing in it about how much if any delay the latest bug will create on the Dec 4th date, though to me the PS and the part about the holidays seems to indicate that he doesnt expect a large one.

Comment

Originally posted by wervdon
      ...though to me the PS and the part about the holidays seems to indicate that he doesnt expect a large one.
      Nor have they expected--or told us about, until the eleventh or twelfth hour--any of the other myriad and seemingly never-ending delays. At least he did not set another specific date/goal for them to miss.

They keep dangling the same, old carrot. What bemuses me is how we (yes, I too am guilty of it) keep biting. I guess it underlines how hopeful we are that it will ship, ship soon, be relatively bug-free, and be addictively fun.

And by the way, production houses aren't quite the miracle workers that Chantz implied. It's just that everybody else who might have been waiting in line has already completed their production runs for Christmas, so there should be plenty of production cycles available for MoO3 (provided it hits before January--when software production spikes again). That and the fact that all of the other components for the product build appear to have been built and are apparently sitting, waiting on that one, final deliverable!

Comment

DAT, you're too ghoulish about this thing. If indeeed Moo3 turns out to be solid, I think they're doing a great thing here. Really. Nobody wants another Civ3/PTW fiasco.

As far as I'm concerened, Q1 next year is just fine. Although I'd be pleased if they managed the x-mas sales, because I want Moo3 to succeed.
        "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
        "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

They keep dangling the same, old carrot. What bemuses me is how we (yes, I too am guilty of it) keep biting.
          keep biting?? what do you think should the response?

perhaps this?
          you're a disgrace cause you spend more time and money to make your product better!
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
            you're a disgrace cause you spend more time and money to make your product better!
            The scary thing is I can almost hear the Infogrammes suit telling QS this at this very moment.
            "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
            "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

last time i checked chantz was the infogrames suit making the calls for moo3

Comment

Originally posted by moomin
                ...you're too ghoulish about this thing.
                Moomin, I'm not certain what you mean by "ghoulish." Nonetheless, I agree with you--Q1 2003 would be fine. And well worth the wait if the game is everything that we are hoping for and expecting! I have no problem whatsoever with QSI taking all the time they need to make this game the very best that they can make it!

What is not fine, IMO, is to repeatedly announce dates and miss them. (BTW, you'll notice that I gave Chantz kudos for not setting a new date/expectation this time around. It's about time. Announce when you have something to announce. Don't announce the potential/probable date of announcement!)

Comment

Oh, we kinda agree then. They should have stuck with the "it'll be done when it gets done" line. To improve the S/N ratio at various Moo fora if for no other reason!

Comment

perhaps this?
                    I'm obviously not communicating my point well. I have no problem with QSI taking all the time in the world (slight hyperbole ) to make MoO3 better.

The carrot(s) that they keep 'dangling' are the dates. The 'biting' that I am referring to--and I stated flat out that I'm as guilty as everyone else--is hanging on these dates, holding our breath, and then repeatedly being disappointed when they don't prove out--as evidenced by thread after thread here at 'Poly.

Comment

The carrot(s) that they keep 'dangling' are the dates.
                      you might want to admit that they are not bringing new dates very often. to be exact

- march 29: date is set for q3 2002
                      - sep 13: date is set at nov 26
                      - nov 19: date is set at dec 4

is hanging on these dates, holding our breath, and then repeatedly being disappointed when they don't prove out
                      i'm not dissapointed by delays. i dont think many people have been(at least in the latest announcements)...

Comment

...to be exact...
                        Aren't you conveniently leaving out the "going gold" teasers?

And I believe it was you who chastised me about a week-and-a-half ago for my 'further delays conspiracy theorizing'. And I quote:

...me also thinks that if they say they are on schedule 3 weeks before release they probably mean it
                        So, you might want to admit that I was right.

P.S. Don't you wish that we were playing MoO3 instead of wasting our time with this nonsense! I know I do.

Comment

Aren't you conveniently leaving out the "going gold" teasers?
                          what you call a "teaser", i call it "update". most people call them that way too, and take them as that, not as info that gets posted in the front page of moo3.com(=release date)

So, you might want to admit that I was right.
                          a delay of one week isnt exactly a huge one you know...

wasting our time with this nonsense!
                          since you know it's nonsense why on earth do you start such a discussion(and i such a provocative way)?

Comment

Mark, I truly thought I was following an existing discussion and I did not mean to be 'provocative' in any negative way. I even thought that I was poking fun at myself--but it appears that I have ticked you off. I apologize. End of the discussion, at least for me.

Comment

apology not really needed. glad we sorted it out

Comment

Working...
                              X