Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 800x600 only? Your kidding me....

800x600 only? WTH!!!

Im sorry but most people to my knowledge dont use 800x600 I though 1024x768 was more common. I mean what person cant afford a damn 16-19inch monitor!!

Thats sad. I might not get MOO3 for that instance alone. Resolution is very important and having 800x600 only make me HAVE to resize my damn monitor every time I play and ill have to see the pity of huge bolky windows.

sigh...time to get with the times. Now game comes with 800x600res anymore. Voxel ships I can stand but 800x600?

Where did you get this from? If its an official post on the discussion boards can you post it in full here, please. Some of us can't access www.ina-community.com/forums at all.
    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
    H.Poincaré

Comment

Unfortunately, MOO3 was designed to be compatible with all computers and has beeen delayed over a year from its intended release date.

A year ago, a lot of people had PIIs and monitors that couldn't reach 1024x768. The decision was taken that to maximise sales, MOO3 should be playable at 800x600.

Unfortunately, there was a lack of forward thinking by Rantz and co. and they didn't think resolution would need to go higher.

Rantz's art and animations cannot easily be resized to suit different resolutions, so we're stuck with 800x600. [Feel free to insert conspiracy theories about Rantz being too busy usurping Emrich from the designer's chair or being too scared by hi-res harverster animations to complete the work].

Fortunately, since the game was designed for 800x600 it shouldn't look too cluttered or blocky, unlike when you play games designed for 1024x768 at 800x600 (like NWN or Heroes4).

The resolution worries me a bit too, but hopefully it will be okay.
      The foppish elf, fighting ithkul in a top hat and smoking jacket since 1885

Comment

This is Infogrames fault. They read the market and decided on the current low system req.

Do I agree with them? Not really. Most people once their system becomes outdated just ignore all the new games coming out, till they buy a new computer.

So we get the crappy looking space combat we have seen so far.

Yah.

Comment

Originally posted by campfreddie
          Unfortunately...

...but hopefully it will be okay.
          Let's all chant (no, not 'Chantz') the two unofficial mantras of MoO3. All together now...

Comment

Well thats just sad.

I wont buy MOO3 if its locked at 800x600. Everything is smaller in that res so I dont understand how models would change much.

I refuse to reset my monitor everytime I decide to play MOO3.

If I wont buy it imagine how many others will hate MOO3 resolution. If they hope to sell this game they better think ahead. Voxel engine they can get by with but a simple damn res change is crazy.

Im sorry 800x600 is BS if ya ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vipermmx

I wont buy MOO3 if its locked at 800x600.
              I'll show them! I will just deny myself this game and that will get me even

Don't you think you ought to at least check out the graphics before you decide to cut off your nose to spite your face?

Comment

Yes, the game will be 800 by 600 only.

The merits and flaws of this has been discussed so much that it's give new meaning to beating dead horses.

They won't change it. Period. It's old news, let it rest.

Comment

I hope you get an option during the installation so it is adapted...
                  "Give us peace in our time",

Stuart Adamson, singer from Big Country, 1958-2001.

Comment

You won't. It is in 800x600 only.

Comment

Conduit, I've checked out the graphics. They've been graciously posting screen shot after screen shot for some time now. (The only thing we haven't seen recently are the animations, but to me that's just eye-candy, and not particularly significant to the gameplay.) The problem is, and this is just my opinion, the graphics are "cold," "stiff," and "uninviting." I think this style works against suspension of disbelief.

Crimson Rider, it may indeed be "old news" to many of us here, but the impending release date is bringing more and more fresh faces, all asking the same question: "Is this game going to be worth shelling out the $40-50?" And as several people have stated (in this thread and others), a game that is limited to 800x600 graphics in this day and age is enough to make many people reconsider.

BTW, placing the blame on a 1-year schedule slip just doesn't hold water. Even a year ago 1024x768 was pushing 800x600 'off the stage.'

Comment

Originally posted by Anguille2
                        I hope you get an option during the installation so it is adapted...
                        An option for what? Changing from 800*600 to 800*600?

I wont buy MOO3 if its locked at 800x600. Everything is smaller in that res so I dont understand how models would change much.
                        Yeah! That'll teach 'em! I'm sure IG wil be quivering in fear at the lost revenue from one copy of MOO3.
                        And it's not the models (space combat) that would be difficult to resize/etc, it's the hand-drawn UI that they'd have to totally re-do (can't remember how many screens) that's preventing them from having more resolutions (and apparently there would have to be more programming done, but I didn't really understand that bit). Well, that and the fact that they'd have to delay it when it's damn close to finally being released.
                        They may well do more res in an expansion pack (sales permitting), but not now.

Comment

Originally posted by DATarbell
                          BTW, placing the blame on a 1-year schedule slip just doesn't hold water. Even a year ago 1024x768 was pushing 800x600 'off the stage.'
                          They chose 800*600 when the project began, and when IG took it over, they saw fit to continue with those specs. The slip had nothing to do with the choice of resolution.

Comment

I refuse to reset my monitor everytime I decide to play MOO3.
                            Unless you're using some kind of flat panel, I doubt any action on your part will be necessary.

My desktop at home is 1024x768 (on a CRT). When I play a game that's at 800x600 (like Railrood Tycoon II or HoMM3, lately), I don't even notice until after I quit, when my Webshots desktop image has been sized to 800x600 instead of 1024x768.

The only people who should care about this are the flat panel crowd, who are just SOL. Anyone with a CRT shouldn't notice a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Llama

They chose 800*600 when the project began, and when IG took it over, they saw fit to continue with those specs. The slip had nothing to do with the choice of resolution.
                              Llama, I was responding to campfreddie's comments above, not saying that QS/IG was using the 1-year slip as an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X