Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sept.05: Rantz update: "LAST PUSH..." before release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me get this straight: the game is alpha right now, they're gonna use all of 25 beta testers and it's supposed to be in stores before x-mas.

Cool.

You still gonne buy it and report back to us first day, vmxa?
    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

You bet. Well I am not sure about the report back part. I will get it as soon as I see it and fire it up. If it is good, I may be slow on he update part.

Comment

only 25 beta testers?

looks like infogrames is at it again, giving us customers the beta...
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
          Have you read the splash on Avault for Moo3 today? Alpha not done, but they expect to have game in stores this year???? That wil be very scarry.
          So what's the deal??? Can Rantz or somebody from QS tell us if MoO3 has really reached alpha or NOT??? Either way, I'm not expecting to see the game in store shelves before xmas...otherwise that will be scary for sure, say not having all the time to play at content those great games & expansions coming up this fall... But they did say: 3 months after...Civ III's release ( errr, meaning Civ III: Play the World expansion pack)
          The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Originally posted by Master Marcus
            So what's the deal??? Can Rantz or somebody from QS tell us if MoO3 has really reached alpha or NOT??? Either way, I'm not expecting to see the game in store shelves before xmas...otherwise that will be scary for sure, say not having all the time to play at content those great games & expansions coming up this fall... But they did say: 3 months after...Civ III's release ( errr, meaning Civ III: Play the World expansion pack)
            I'd be very surprised if the game isn't in Alpha. Alpha means that the framework code for the game has been implemented and there is an actual program to run, but not all gameplay and features are there. So it's pretty easy to say a project is Alpha.

IIRC, the news article said that the Orion Senate is the only feature left to implement. So, once that's done, MOO3 can be said to have reached Beta, which means all features have been coded and there's a game to play, but it's still very buggy and not fit for release. So it seems QS is forming the beta team right in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Marcus

So what's the deal??? Can Rantz or somebody from QS tell us if MoO3 has really reached alpha or NOT???
              IG's definition of Alpha is what most think of as a Beta. There will be more than 25 people testing (as there are now) however in terms of the 'general public' IG is allowing 25 public testers.

The game is in the balancing, bug-fixing, and 'hmmm, should that be harder or easier' to do phase. Last night, I played a 300-some turn game without a crash.

and yeah, I enjoyed myself. So, Nov 26th is the current street date. Hope you all can hold out until then.
              Rantz Hoseley
              Art Director
              Quicksilver Software, Inc.

Comment

Thanks for the input, Rantz

we're holding our breath 'til street date release...for now, between civ sessions, and before going megalomaniac in huge galaxies, I'm testing my adrenaline & testosterone side with UT 2003 demo...who said we must stay civish 365 days a year?
                The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Comment

I tend to presume a late day and then if you beat it I will be happy, rather than bummed if the date slips. In any event got my money and will be waiting. even though I have not worked in over a year. I do have my priorites.

Comment

Rantz (above) says a street date of Nov 26th. Cut to news page: an item is posted Sep-22 wherein Rantz indicates they are "expecting" the manual to be 180-200 pages in length.

Oops!

Typical production of a print manual within the software industry--from the time you send "final copy" off until the time you receive bound, finished manuals back--is 6 weeks. Add 1 week for product build, another week for distribution and you're looking at 2 months from the time that you know precisely how big your printed manual is, until it's in boxes "on the street"!

In other words, kiss November 26th good-bye. (Unless, of course they street without a manual !)

Comment

Originally posted by DATarbell

Typical production of a print manual within the software industry--from the time you send "final copy" off until the time you receive bound, finished manuals back--is 6 weeks. Add 1 week for product build, another week for distribution and you're looking at 2 months from the time that you know precisely how big your printed manual is, until it's in boxes "on the street"!

In other words, kiss November 26th good-bye. (Unless, of course they street without a manual !)
                        Deadline for the manual is a week from Friday in order to make the abovementioned date. Not of course, to throw water on a perfectly good conspiracy
                        Rantz Hoseley
                        Art Director
                        Quicksilver Software, Inc.

Comment

If its oil based, that'll just cause the flames to flare up
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

Ahhhh! My conspiracy is melting!

Comment

Originally posted by Rantz

Deadline for the manual is a week from Friday in order to make the abovementioned date. Not of course, to throw water on a perfectly good conspiracy
                              Ahh, so that's why most manuals have several mistakes and list incorrect unit statistics, etc.

They are sent off before the game is beta-ed. I've always wondered why software companies seemed to have such terrible QA procedures!

It still doesn't forgive any formatting errors though. I will be assessing your manual for spelling, grammar and layout. I also demand English spellings in our manual or your tech support will be overrun by brits denouncing your upstart colonial misspelling. Perhaps an England-only beta-test for the manual is in order?

Seriously though, it's good to see some progress. If the manual is complete, then the gameplay must be more or less 'set in stone'... perhaps 'set in rubber'.

Camp Freddie - Sparing Canadians in a tophat and smoking jacket since 1885
                              The foppish elf, fighting ithkul in a top hat and smoking jacket since 1885

Comment

Originally posted by Rantz

No more throwing water. I want my promotion from "Conspiracy Theorist" to "All-Knowing Prophet"!

Comment

Working...
                                X