Custom Races?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Races?

Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but ive not seen it layed out and Ive been pseudo-following this project since the first rumors of it started floating about.

Is there a custom race design system like in moo2 in moo3? Something akin to the racial pick system: telepathic, creative, research bonus, whatever?

If so what details on it are out there so far?

I did a search on the official boards and found a link that answered my question, just posting it here in case anyone read this and didnt know the answer and wanted to know:

The Most Comprehensive UNofficial Sci-Fi TBS Site Online.

Comment

Nice comprehensive list but I suspect it is a bit out of date since Ethos is supposed to be a feature they cut out. Nice to see that they plan to let you customise your own race. I was always fond of a semi-Psilon race with pretty good research but not crippled by low-G restraints.
      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
      H.Poincaré

Comment

Thanks for the link.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Low-G crippling? Since when?

I've found that a Low-G, -20 Spying, -20 Ground combat, Unification, Subterranean, +1 research, +50% pop growth, Large Homeworld race slaps the computer around on Impossible, and slaps most humans around, too.

I don't find any real joy in Creative. You... er... can't lose.

It's just not possible.

Me.

Comment

I always found low-g to be a no-brainer too. Gravity Generators aren't that hard to get. The other ground combat penalties, don't really matter...if it comes to ground combat against you, you've lost. If you need to take a planet, bombardment works.

Comment

In the long run it does not matter, but with the low number of planets that have low-g, you will take a hit. The thing is that onely the first few planets determine how your future will go, so you can live with the low-g.

Comment

I think low-g is the an eayse pick as well, and I dont bee-line for gravity gens either. Many of the very best planets are HG anyway.
                "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodeous
                  Low-G crippling? Since when?

I've found that a Low-G, -20 Spying, -20 Ground combat, Unification, Subterranean, +1 research, +50% pop growth, Large Homeworld race slaps the computer around on Impossible, and slaps most humans around, too.

I don't find any real joy in Creative. You... er... can't lose.

It's just not possible.

Me.
                  Ok, I let this slide before, but....
                  I am happy you win with that race, althought Uni is not of much help IMO.
                  Yes nearly any race can win even on impossible, but to say ceative wins all the time is just crap. Let me even concede you being the best player that ever lived, no one will win all games with creative on impossible with 8 players large map, unless they cheat. I have been beaten with creative on that type of map and I have a pretty fair understanding of the game and have played scores of games on impossible. I can create a race that will almost never lose in that game, but I have seen a big bad Sakkra living next to me jump out with 6-8 systems and show up with unstoppable fleets before turn 200.
                  I put the remark about creative in the same boat as the crap about winning before turn 150 on impossible levels. I am still waiting for someone to prove it without cheating. Maybe creative was that strong back when it was only 6 picks, but costing 8 picks makes you give up a lot of good stuff. Yes creative is very strong, if you get out to turn 300 or so. I am talking about prewarp games here.
                  I played every race I found in the old news groups and see no evidence that Uni is worth a thing outside of MP games. Then only because everyone else is likely using it as well.

Comment

But vmxa, I have posted a sure-fire strategy of winning before turn 150 on impossible, without cheating. Winning befre turn 10, in fact, although hardly as sure-fire

Like it or not, a diplomacy win is just as much a win as an extermination or Antarean one.

But I agree there are games where any race would be put to serious test: starting with sillies and darloks for neighbours, with psilons on "behind" them is a thriller each time, even with a monster race.
                    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Sorry , I almost mentioned that feat, but figured the post was long enough. I think you know, I mean a standard method.
                      I just get so tired of people saying that creative is so easy. I have said many times at lower levels it does not matter, but at impossible all bets are off if you play legit. I just flat out do not believe that anyone wins all games at that level with no trickery. Maybe I am wrong. Funny thing is I do not use creative much anymore. Not because it is good or bad, but I just want to try different traits and using 8 does not leave much to work with.

Comment

Okay, crippled was the wrong word to convey what I meant

I just don't like leading a bunch of puny LG weaklings even if its cost effective
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

Roleplaying a 4x game? For shame!

Comment

By day I roleplay being interested in my work too
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

That is funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X