What is going on???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NPV = Net Present Value

It takes cash flows over a course of years and discounts them using a discount rate. Normally it is the cost of capital plus a comfort level.

Any NPV that is positive over the time period of review means that the endeavor delivers at least the rate of return defined by the NPV discount rate. The more positive the NPV the larger the margin the endeavor beats the discount hurdle rate. (This is easily done using a simple excel spreadsheet and using the appropriate function, NPV)

Discounted Cash flow is the best means to evaluate endeavors as it takes into account the largish outlay and then discount future cash flows as future money is worth less in real world terms then money inthe pocket today. (Takes into account inflation and interest that could have been accrued for examples)

Other means of evaluting endeavors include IRR (Internal Rate of Return) which takes cash flows and calculates the equivalent discount rate to make the future discounted cash flows equal the initial cash outlays. In this case the IRR is roughly equivalent to a return rate. (Typically this is also a good measure but one needs to be cognizant that if there are a number of negative cashflows there maybe a a number of solutions wherein the sum of the DCC = 0. )

As for building in uncertainty of success being built into the NPV calcualtions it all comes down to the familiarity with the market, familiarity with the development cycle etc. and then assigning the appropriate risks possibily doing a sensitivity analysis using best and worst case scenarios.

Og
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

you should use the cost of capital without a comfort factor. If you have doubts about projections than modify the revenues and profits. But don't use a messed up discount rate.

Comment

Originally posted by GP
        you should use the cost of capital without a comfort factor. If you have doubts about projections than modify the revenues and profits. But don't use a messed up discount rate.
        Most times the cost of capital was not well defined in the companies I worked for. Hence I always fudged both ends conservatively to make sure the projects were winners.

But your point is well taken the risk assumptions always go to the cash flows not the discount rate.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

The first thing I would check in your calculation is the discount rate. You should learn how to calculate a WACC.

Comment

It would have been helpful. Truth be told tho' any economic evaluations were always checked. My job was to make sure the first cut look at them was to evaluate them as critically as possible. If they made the cut from me, I'ld let the finance/accounting weenies work up their numbers.

Does that mean I sand bagged some profit numbers, was overly critical of projects. Perhaps, but when you have scarce resources you wanna make sure you work on the big bang for the buck ones.

Comment

keep wiggling...

Comment

LOL

In any event the real talent is bein dead on with the cash flows.

Comment

Good wiggle, worm!

Comment

Looks like the worm was put into good use for trolling.

Comment

Working...
                    X