No announcement yet.

What can MOO3 learn from Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once the game is released, stay in touch with the community.

This includes not only asking the community what they think about the game and its features, what bugs and problems they have uncovered, and just plain being chums, but also being prompt with patches!

Many gamers will just move on if bugs and game balance issues aren't fixed quickly.

But it seems like the MOO guys are already the type to do this.

Comment

Yeah, it would be pretty dumb to go to as much effort as we have to reach out to and trade information with the fan base, only to run away and hide after the game comes out.

I don't anticipate that we'll suddenly unlearn the value of communication.
      If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Man I hope Moo3 is great and sells tons. I want it to do well so I can look forward to Moo4.

Comment

I hope you won't mind if we take a little break to work on something else first...
          If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
            I hope you won't mind if we take a little break to work on something else first...
            Like MoM 2, for example!

Edit: did QS ever considered making a sequel to Conquest of the New World?
            "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
            Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
            Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
            Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

I don't really know. I've only been there a year, and I don't get to hear much of the high-level stuff. But I haven't heard such a project mentioned, no.

Comment

The Casus Belli system should cover that nicely. If the computer doesn't convince its own people that they want war, there'll be hell to pay domestically. Same applies to you, of course...
                Sounds like somebody's been nicking stuff from EU. ?
                Of course given that EU is very well done this is a good sign.

Comment

Oh, was the same idea used in EU? I've never played it, so I wouldn't know.

Comment

Oh, was the same idea used in EU? I've never played it, so I wouldn't know.
                    You should. It´s a vastly better game than CivIII.
                    Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Maybe once you get to know the detail, but Civ3 is far more accessible
                      "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

I think that MOO3 is on the right path in comparison to Civ3. For one thing, it innovates a lot more than Civ3 did. Thats' important for those of us who have played the previous versions. If the innovations succeed, then we have a new game to love. If they fail, then we still have our old games to play when the mood strikes. Civ 3 seemed like a step back. It kept so many of the annoying traits of the old Civ engine, and eliminated most of the good innovations from SMAC. The innovations which did get put in were mostly IMO poorly done, or incompletely balanced through play-testing.

Obviously we all appreciate the openess and responsiveness of the MOO3 design team to the community. I think it has created a gold mine of goodwill, and hopefully has improved the quality of the design. I'm looking forward to my next game purchase (guess what it will be), and praying that MoM2 will be put on the 'to do' list once the design team catches up on it's vacation time and sleep.
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Yeah me too. I basically want moo3 to play like a whole new game, instead of like a moo2 upgrade. The thing that's disappointing with civ3 is that, it plays like a civ2 upgrade. Not like smac which plays like a whole new game. Civ3 would probably be a lot better game, if it was based on smac, rather than civ2.

Comment

Hummmm, it is tough to be a designer. Lots of people want the game to play like an upgrade. Lots of people find Civ3 to be a much better game than civ2. If I was a developer, I would go the civ3 route as that is going to be sucessful. Jumping out with a completely new game, may not work and failure is expensive. Since civ3 is greeted with much acclaim and sells, it would seem more people prefer it than not.

Comment

What can MOO3 learn from Civ3? Not to take MOO2, spruce up its graphics, and call it MOO3. IFP's alone ought to eliminate that possibility, so that doesn't leave much else for MOO3 to learn about.

Things like "Don't make stupid AI" or "Don't make the game suck" were "learned", I assume, long before Civ3 came out.
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Actually, there's one very important thing Moo3 can learn from Civ3. If a game turn has to take 5 minutes to do, please please please, and I'm begging here, don't make me sit through all those unhappy 5 minutes at my keyboard, pressing the 'okay' button at all those annoying pop-up messages that appears every couple minutes or so.

Comment

Working...
                                X