Events engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stormhound
    4) I don't have much sympathy for the "punishing the player for playing well" point of view on event composition; the directed style keeps the weaker players competitive and important for longer, and helps slow down the tendency of games to divide into groups of "haves" and "have nots". There are a lot of mechanisms in the design that work against the stronger/bigger empire...we'll see who's up to the challenge of climbing a hill that gets steeper the higher you go.
    Does that mean that the AI is too weak to be a real challenge without help? Please tell me that I'm wrong. As a matter of fact (almost) all games which had events punishing the successfull had terrible AI. Maybe now you understand our skepticism (sp?).

Comment

No, unless you can demonstrate an actual causal relationship between events weighted against the better players (a model used by both MOO and MOO2, BTW) and poor AI.

Virtually every human being who ever breathed oxygen died eventually, but I don't think that means we should give up oxygen. At least, I'm not.
      If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Ok, you guys better have a very very big and well organized manual and an interactive tutorial with MOO3.
        I don't do drugs anymore 'cause i find i can get the same effect by standing up really fast.

I live in my own little world, but its ok; they know me here.

Comment

I have a few ideas though:

1)Charismatic spriritual leader.
          Changes the ethos of a random planet. This ethos is much more contageous than a normal one for a period of turns. As the commonality decreases the scope of its affect increases until in rare a wide area of 15 systems are effected regardless of race.

2)Defection
          A random fleet from another empire chooses to defect to yours. The race this fleet defected from may attack it without declareing war on you. The job of the player is to guide this fleet through enemy territory while trying to minimize casualties. The result is that the players gets to keep what is left of the fleet.

3)Mecca
          The system has become a holy place for pilgrimage for its particular ethos. It recieves marked stability and the ethos there is very unlikely to change. Commerce there is greatly increased as is the population and happiness.

4)Quest: Capture Mecca
          Capture a Mecca of one of your tolerated ethos' and get a certain amount point/special bonus

I am not totally familiar with the game so I am only able to give broad concepts.
          I don't do drugs anymore 'cause i find i can get the same effect by standing up really fast.

I live in my own little world, but its ok; they know me here.

Comment

Stormhound, until when are our ideas useful? I'm just asking because I've read only up to page 14... But I'm definitely interested in helping and contributing to MOO3! It's just that I'm not having too much free time for myself...
            "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
            Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
            Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
            Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Deadline for Event Suggestions

Originally posted by Zealot
              Stormhound, until when are our ideas useful? I'm just asking because I've read only up to page 14... But I'm definitely interested in helping and contributing to MOO3! It's just that I'm not having too much free time for myself...
              Hi there. I'm the guy who's actually processing the event submissions. There is currently no set deadline for submitting event suggestions. It's currently looking like there will be over 1200 submitted events from fans. Which is impressive, but I think there should be more.

Submit events here

Nice forum, hope my sig works...
              -Sencho

"Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to be at fault, after all, and therefore ought to be received with great caution. " - Mark Twain

Comment

Personal Message MarkG one of the Co-Owners and have him give you a proper title! You're not a settler, you're a kick ass designer for Quicksilver!
                I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                New faces...Strange places,
                Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Actually, unless something has changed recently, Sencho isn't a QS employee; he's a volunteer working for the betterment of the game. So what title would they give him?

That leads to another point I just feel like making...one of the ways that I hope QS revolutionizes the genre is in how future games get designed. Getting the fan base involved to the point of helping as guys like Sencho are has made a tremendous difference. Putting our ideas out for fan commentary has made a tremendous difference. I think the game's a lot better for it, and while it's a bit of work to manage all the exchange of ideas, the reward is worth it. If the overall quality of games on the market goes up as a result, gamers will only benefit.
                  If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Yeah, I just hope that it doesn't come to a point where the game has too many new and different features and directions that it loses it's focus.

OK, he can be titled Mo3 Events Dude as per his sig!
                    I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                    New faces...Strange places,
                    Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                    -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Comment

Welcome to Apolyton, Sencho.
                        The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Thanks, glad to be welcomed.

I'm frequenting these forums now , thanks to Stormhound, so feel free to ask questions.
                          -Sencho

"Even the clearest and most perfect circumstantial evidence is likely to be at fault, after all, and therefore ought to be received with great caution. " - Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Deadline for Event Suggestions

Originally posted by Sencho
                            There is currently no set deadline for submitting event suggestions. Submit events here

You mean I can send you my ideas around March 2002?
                            "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                            Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                            Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                            Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Working...
                            X