Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infogrames rolled over Sid will they do it to Alan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infogrames rolled over Sid will they do it to Alan?

(First of all a disclaimer: If the rumors on the Civ3 board turn out to be true than I apologize in advance to Firaxis and to Infogrames).

It appears that Firaxis is going to release Civ III this October without MP capabilities. The game appears not to be ready but Infogrames wants the game yesterday. They don't care one bit if it is not ready - they want quick money. And so they told Sid hey we had a deal, give us the game by the end of October or else. So Sid had to cut MP.

Now why does this have to do with MOO3?

Because both Civ III and MOO3 are being released by the same publisher - Infogrames.

So you have Sid, one of the biggest legends in the gaming industry and he is being told we want this game whether its ready or not. So Civ III is coming out uncompleted.

What about MOO3? Alan Emerich does not have the same name recognition. He is a strategy game guide writer. This is his first (as far as I know) head of a gaming project. What chance does Alan Emerich have of getting any delays?

If Sid isn't a big of enough name than I doubt Alan is. It just doesn't resonate. So what are the chances that MOO3 also comes out uncomplete? Will Infogrames kill two of the most highly awaited strategy games in a number of years? Stormhound, can you reassure me that Alan will not give a gold copy until he is satisfied? Or am I doomed to two huge disappointments because some company doesn't know what its doing?
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

While this isn't Alan's first head-of-project (I believe he was a producer at Interplay for a while, plus his name is on a board wargame), I'm afraid that when it comes to the business/legal end of things, I can make no promises. Infogrames has a contract with QS, and the extent to which they choose to (or need to) enforce or relax its provisions is up to them. We're doing everything we can to get this title in on time and on budget, and there are a lot of people busting their collective butts toward that end. Nobody at QS wants to deliver a subpar game.

If you're at all concerned about this, your best course of action is to write Infogrames directly, because it's their property. You can find contact information at www.infogrames.com (and likely elsewhere as well). I'd say the chances of them reading it here are slim and none, so put your words where they'll do the most good.
    If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Stormhound you are an assest to your company. Thanks for the post.

Sure it told me exactly what I expected that Infogrames can screw over whatever games they want to but the important thing was that you told us that. Sure it was diplomatically but you also reassured me that you are working hard on it.

Thanks, I think I will write Infogrames. And best of luck in the coming weeks.
      About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Stormhound.

Tniem: Would you like to start a new thread here for writing to Infogrames? I will write a letter myself. I think we should have a brief model for people to follow. Postive and to the point. Something like:

"Dear Infogrames:

FR: MOO3 fan
        RE: Please don't rush MOO3!

While I think Civ 3 under Sid Meier's name can weather many potential storms that might come from not having a demo, allowing only 8 civs in one game, no MP, etc., I truly believe that MOO3 must be a quality release out of the box or it might lose its window of opportunity.

As a long-time fan of the MOO series, I think the current design philosophy of MOO3 is outstanding and may well re-invent the genre. Please listen to the QS team and allow them a few extra months if they make a good case for it.

Yours Sincerely,

MOO3 Fan"
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I have sent my letter to the following e-mail. Stormhound, if you know of a better place to mail, please let us know. Thanks.

Feedback@us.infogrames.com
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Yes, and my apologies for not digging it out earlier. Here's OUR contact at Infogrames:

CHantzopoulos@us.infogrames.com
            Constantine is the man who's in charge of our project from their end, and he's a very nice guy. PLEASE do not send him hate mail, PLEASE make all letters as reasoned and polite as you can, or you may hurt your case more than help it.
            If I'd known then what I know now, I'd never have done all the stuff that led me to what I know now...

Former member, MOO3 Road Kill...er, Crew

Comment

Yes, thanks for the openness with regard to MoO3.

I really feel for the developers - all that hard work - only to have their game rushed. It must be discouraging, since an unfinished game will, unfairly, be seen as a reflection of their work.

Great work Yin - publishers need to know that there are people who care about the product they release.

Gee, with Infogrames rushing both Civ3 and MoO3, I wonder if their stock will rise? Now I know why it fell in the first place. . .
              Last edited by Leonidas; September 14, 2001, 11:00.

Comment

yin26, any reply to your letter ? Please let us know if they answer...
                The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Stormhound!

This behavior is completely unsat. We had a deal that you guys would supply a game at a certain time. It's not our fault that your guys goofed off and got behind. We are going to teach you a lesson and hold you to your agreement. You best produce the best game you can or no more publishing deals. Now stop surfing Apolyton and get to work.

Oh and what is this about stirring up all the fans to write the big bossman. Whose side are you on anyway. Do we need to remind you who's funding this project? Now get in my office!!

------------------

Seriously folks. Why are the game developers always behind schedule (at the end). I think the publishers need to enforce some project discipline on these guys.

Comment

yin26, any reply to your letter ? Please let us know if they answer...
                    So far just the automated response: "Thank you for your letter. We get so many that we might not respond, etc."

Comment

Originally posted by Stormhound
                      Yes, and my apologies for not digging it out earlier. Here's OUR contact at Infogrames:

CHantzopoulos@us.infogrames.com
                      Constantine is the man who's in charge of our project from their end, and he's a very nice guy. PLEASE do not send him hate mail, PLEASE make all letters as reasoned and polite as you can, or you may hurt your case more than help it.
                      So is this the place to send "electronic talcum powder letters"?

(Just kidding, Markos. I don't take this stuff too seriously...it is all fun and games about games to me!)

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                        Stormhound!

This behavior is completely unsat. We had a deal that you guys would supply a game at a certain time. It's not our fault that your guys goofed off and got behind. We are going to teach you a lesson and hold you to your agreement. You best produce the best game you can or no more publishing deals. Now stop surfing Apolyton and get to work.

Oh and what is this about stirring up all the fans to write the big bossman. Whose side are you on anyway. Do we need to remind you who's funding this project? Now get in my office!!

------------------

Seriously folks. Why are the game developers always behind schedule (at the end). I think the publishers need to enforce some project discipline on these guys.
                        told ya so...

Comment

Originally posted by GP

Not really, most of the time the developers know full well how long things are going to take to build, but managers and higher ups always have a different view on things. That is where the real problems arise.. As for civ3 comparisons to moo.. I'd have to say civ 3 has got to be one of the most buggy games i have ever played.. Then again every product from firixas is buggy.. Quick silvers games have been pretty good and i would expect the same from moo 3.
                          Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
                          and kill them!

Comment

Don't forget that QS is paying for delayed MOO3, not Infogrames.

That's the differnce between Civ3 & MOO3.
                            Firaxis didn't won't to fund deley to make game complete, so thtey rushed and cut some things like MP & editor.

But QS wants that to make game complete.
                            Unfortunately, that decision NEEDS some sacrifices.

Comment

bottom line...poor program management from QS.

Comment

Working...
                              X